Author Topic: crazy drummer  (Read 658 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
crazy drummer
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:31:06 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E

a solid rock band, but the drummers antics caught my eye.    =D

here he is again at a drum workshop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA9IP1JCyf4
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: crazy drummer
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 10:11:34 PM »
As a one-time drummer myself, my opinion is that such grandstanding should be limited to one or two drum solos per show. Doing all that "stuff" throughout a song is just upstaging the other band members, and most bands won't tolerate that.

He's not a bad drummer, but he's nothing special, and the antics don't add anything. They're totally unnecessary.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 03:12:04 AM »
As a one-time drummer myself, my opinion is that such grandstanding should be limited to one or two drum solos per show. Doing all that "stuff" throughout a song is just upstaging the other band members, and most bands won't tolerate that.

He's not a bad drummer, but he's nothing special, and the antics don't add anything. They're totally unnecessary.

I've seen this a long time ago. He's not upstaging the other band members, he's part of the act.

Bands called Rick K. and the Allnighters.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 07:31:39 AM »

one could say that the rest of the band is exploiting his grandstanding.    there's a reason why that vid has 24 million views, and it's not the worn out zz top tune.  

to hear the audio recording i too would think that was an averagely decent performance, but when i watch what he is doing [in a suit jacket without missing a beat] i am amazed.   personally i like the more subtle tricks, like using both ends of the stick on the hats, and the slow stick lift, but the wild and crazy stuff does catch the eye!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:51:01 AM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2