Author Topic: Weird dog sighting  (Read 4912 times)

JonnyB

• friend
Weird dog sighting
« on: April 28, 2014, 03:01:21 PM »
Yesterday afternoon (27 April), a strange-looking dog was in our yard - out in the middle of nowhere. It was a spooky thing, very much resembling a Hyena! The front end was powerfully-build, and considerably higher at the shoulder than the rump. It had short, rounded ears and small, dark spots on its head. The head was the typical wedge shape, like the Hyena or Jackal. The thing was bold as brass, standing in the front lawn, looking at us. When we tapped on the window, though, it tore out'a the yard, around the grove, and across the plowing.

The coat was fairly long, and "desert tan" colored, with a mottled appearance. It was hard to tell, exactly, as the thing was covered with mud, having run through the muddy plowed fields around us. It had a short, brush-like tail; about a half-length tail, compare to a "normal", un-docked dog.

Our two dogs went wild, barking and carrying on. I wasn't about to let them out, as they're way too small to deal with something like that. The critter we say weighed probably 40-45 pounds. No collar.

The only thing slightly like it appears to be an Australian Cattle Dog, but their rear end is as high as the shoulder, and the tail is longer.

Weird, indeed.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

fifth_column

• friend
Re: Weird dog sighting
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 03:13:12 PM »
Chupacabra!

=D
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 03:14:04 PM »
I'm guessing coyote or coy-dog with mange.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 05:04:24 PM »
Chupacabra!

=D

I'm guessing coyote or coy-dog with mange.

Thank goodness.  I was beginning to think the ex-wife was loose again.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 08:27:55 PM »
Thank goodness.  I was beginning to think the ex-wife was loose again.

stay safe.

You too?!?!!?  =|

bob

Lee

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 08:48:12 PM »
Did it laugh at you?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »
Wrong moon phase for a werewolf  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 10:31:26 PM »
Some sort of red necked bud sucker?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 01:14:11 AM »
Kill it with fire.

Gunfire, that is.

If it's wandering into your yard in spite of you and your dogs, it's probably going to need to be dealt with sooner or later.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 08:36:53 AM »
Kill it with fire.

Gunfire, that is.

If it's wandering into your yard in spite of you and your dogs, it's probably going to need to be dealt with sooner or later.

Indeed. We were in the house - it was raining hard outside - so it wasn't quite *that* bold. I did have Mr. Browning Hi Power in hand when I went out with the doggies later, though. If it comes back, it may end up with lead poisoning.

Not a coyote or coy-dog, I'm pretty certain, though we do have 'yotes around in significant numbers. This was "bulkier" than a coyote (so I guess it's conceivable it was a coy-dog...), and didn't look at all coyote-like.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 09:26:44 AM »
if you do kill it or even get a piece of it dna testing has gotten reasonable. 50 bucks on sale
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 09:53:53 AM »
There's also such a thing as a coywolf.  Bigger than coyotes, smaller than wolves.  They're breeding in the wild now, not just in mad scientists' labs . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 06:57:18 PM »
Probably some "endangered species" or another and your homestead will be declared a wetland.  Or a dryland.  Or a Refuge Area.  Or --heaven forbid --a "habitat."

I heard a story, reasonably credible, that some rancher's cyanide trap  (M44?) killed a half-breed wolf.... half of which breeding was of a "protected species."   All kinds of goobermental crap ensued, including DNA testing and law-wrangling and hand-wringing and letters to the editor and what not.  

Don't remember the outcome, but five minutes with a shovel would have saved him a lot of grief.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:13:55 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 07:09:41 PM »
Hybrid critters can be problematic.  The guy that shot the ursus arcticus/horribulus cross was in court a long time. Might still be I stopped hearing about him. White bass striper hybrids confuse the fish and game guys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 10:56:34 PM »
Probably some "endangered species" or another and your homestead will be declared a wetland.  Or a dryland.  Or a Refuge Area.  Or --heaven forbid --a "habitat."

I heard a story, reasonably credible, that some rancher's cyanide trap  (M44?) killed a half-breed wolf.... half of which breeding was of a "protected species."   All kinds of goobermental crap ensued, including DNA testing and law-wrangling and hand-wringing and letters to the editor and what not.  

Don't remember the outcome, but five minutes with a shovel would have saved him a lot of grief.
Funny - if there's a drop of domestic blood then it doesn't qualify for reimbursement for predator damage to stock  :facepalm:

Local F&G guy said "there's no wolves in this area, only hybrids"   ;)   ;)   ;)   ;)   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 02:16:57 AM »
Funny - if there's a drop of domestic blood then it doesn't qualify for reimbursement for predator damage to stock  :facepalm:

I guess most Farm & Ranch (F&R) folks would rather take the loss of a calf --what, $500? --than incur the legal costs of discovering that the predator was a hybrid.  

Wish I could find a documentable source for that wolf hybrid-M44 affair. I no longer have the same F&R contacts I used to have.  

Not that I'm recommending anything illegal, but just speculating on the outcomes of two possible courses of action in the OP's case.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:23:45 AM by 230RN »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 08:27:42 AM »
in our yard - out in the middle of nowhere.

I read that as rural.

Shallow hole somewhere.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 09:05:23 AM »
I read that as rural.

Shallow Deep hole somewhere.

Yup; rural. Three S rule applies. I can dig a hole quickly with the front-end loader on my tractor...

jb

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 10:55:55 AM »
I guess most Farm & Ranch (F&R) folks would rather take the loss of a calf --what, $500? --than incur the legal costs of discovering that the predator was a hybrid. 

Wish I could find a documentable source for that wolf hybrid-M44 affair. I no longer have the same F&R contacts I used to have. 

Not that I'm recommending anything illegal, but just speculating on the outcomes of two possible courses of action in the OP's case.

The policy around here is that hybrids are not wolves and are neither protected nor will the stock owner be reimbursed.

The local FG officer says there are no true wolves in this neighborhood so don't bother me and treat them like stray dogs (wink - wink).

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 02:23:27 PM »
^
Well, sure.... you'd be preserving the genetic purity of the original endangered species... right?  That's got to be a "Good Thing."

Right?  :)  (wink-wink)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:28:02 PM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 06:29:00 AM »
Yup; rural. Three S rule applies. I can dig a hole quickly with the front-end loader on my tractor...

jb

Them front end loaders is just handy as a pocket on a shirt.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 10:38:00 AM »
Usually the coyotes and crows clean things up in a day or two.

But the dog I shot before xmas is still lying out there  :facepalm:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 10:20:11 PM »
Put some ketchup on it.

You put enough ketchup on it and you can eat just about anything.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 11:13:09 PM »
Usually the coyotes and crows clean things up in a day or two.

But the dog I shot before xmas is still lying out there  :facepalm:

still froze?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 01:07:42 AM »
Deleted by poster as too much of a topic drift.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 01:11:18 AM by 230RN »