Author Topic: considering a left handed bolt gun- advice?  (Read 1073 times)

tokugawa

• friend
considering a left handed bolt gun- advice?
« on: May 04, 2014, 03:29:13 PM »
Being a left handed shooter, I am wondering what sort of rifle you sinister folks like =D
 It will be in 30-06,  most likely. The local Cabela's had a nice LH Tikka SS 06 in the used rack for about 620 bucks- is this a good price?
 Other calibers might include 7x57 or 6.5x55.  The purpose is general big game hunting- deer, elk, black bear, and 200 yard metallic bing-bongs.
 Any suggestions?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: considering a left handed bolt gun- advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 03:36:28 PM »
I have both a LH Rem700 in 22-250 and a LH Savage in .243. They take some getting used to , that's for sure. I spent the first 5 decades or so  of my life shooting RH bolt guns so I am still more comfortable with them.

Any quality rifle in LH in your choice of caliber will work just fine for you. Although, if you ever get the urge, the Savage with the barrel nut can become a rifle you can change calibers on, within reason.

bob

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 04:56:41 PM »
^^^ me too- but they have mostly been straight bolt military surplus with iron sights.  So it was easy to reach over the receiver to work the bolt- but I would like to have a nice hunting rifle with a scope, which would make it really hard to operate a right hand rifle , left handed.

Cabela's had a nice Model 70 , 7x57 in a high grade- it would be in my safe now except it was right handed. =(

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 05:01:52 PM »
I bought a Ruger LH way back when I started hunting. M77 in .30-06. It's a good gun, but the left hand bolt never ended up being that big a deal for me. I have RH bolts as well and shoot them interchangeably. If I had it to do again, I wouldn't limit myself to LH for my first hunting gun due to the restrictions that places on actions and options. YMMV.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 05:43:42 PM »
39 years and I still haven't bought a LH gun. I want one though, stainless Savage so I can do a build on it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 06:34:02 PM »
So it was easy to reach over the receiver to work the bolt- but I would like to have a nice hunting rifle with a scope, which would make it really hard to operate a right hand rifle , left handed

I never did that, maybe because I didn't have any one to teach me. I just hold the gun up at the wrist with my left hand and work the bolt with my right hand. It probably costs me a tiny fraction of time, but it has worked for me so far.  =|

bob

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 07:44:42 PM »
I never did that, maybe because I didn't have any one to teach me. I just hold the gun up at the wrist with my left hand and work the bolt with my right hand. It probably costs me a tiny fraction of time, but it has worked for me so far.  =|

bob

'Tis what I do, too. The other way is too damned awkward for me. And if the gun is balanced right, and the target is close enough, it's actually faster since my hand doesn't have to leave the bolt.

Can be a bit of a pain when prone, though, if I don't have something to rest the rifle on.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

birdman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 07:57:12 PM »
'Tis what I do, too. The other way is too damned awkward for me. And if the gun is balanced right, and the target is close enough, it's actually faster since my hand doesn't have to leave the bolt.

Can be a bit of a pain when prone, though, if I don't have something to rest the rifle on.
Its what I do too...easy when using a bipod, since normally my right hand is squeezing my bag of rice.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 08:17:12 PM »
CZ makes a nice lefty.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 08:59:39 PM »
Its what I do too...easy when using a bipod, since normally my right hand is squeezing my bag of rice.

Yeah, I've been thinking about getting a bipod on mine...but I don't shoot prone all that often, so I'm not sure if I want to add the extra weight. My rifle is too front-heavy as it is.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

birdman

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 09:38:24 PM »
Yeah, I've been thinking about getting a bipod on mine...but I don't shoot prone all that often, so I'm not sure if I want to add the extra weight. My rifle is too front-heavy as it is.

I only have bipods on my 110BA (shooting that offhand would be...interesting) and on my 700, because...accuracy. (And on my 10/22 but that's because its becoming my precision suppressed linker for future squirrel and bunny use)