Author Topic: October Sequester Led to One Lost Job  (Read 590 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
October Sequester Led to One Lost Job
« on: May 07, 2014, 10:55:31 PM »
It would be comical if it wasn't so sad. And the OMB spokesperson is just spouting Obama talking points in his, "it was more than just lost jobs" spin. No overtime. Big deal. Also, every one of us that was furloughed got back pay. Because the furlough occurred between two pay periods, the most anyone "lost" was like three days of pay, that they all got back retroactively within a week of going back to work.

More than likely the one "lost job" was somebody whose office was trying to fire them anyway, and the office saw an opportunity in the sequester given how otherwise difficult it is to get rid of a government worker.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/07/despite-doomsday-predictions-sequester-cuts-only-led-to-1-layoff-in-2013/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: October Sequester Led to One Lost Job
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 11:09:22 PM »
given how otherwise difficult it is to get rid of a government worker.

<thread veer>A couple of instances.  Back in the day, when I was a civil serf at the Screw of IL, the business office in the department where I worked had an employee call in a bomb threat.  Took them six months to get rid of her.  The "Photo Services" (photocopying of library materials for academic purposes) dept down the hall from me had a guy who held up a grocery store.  Armed robbery.  Ditto, took months and months to get rid of him.</thread veer>
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

birdman

• friend
Re: October Sequester Led to One Lost Job
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 08:52:20 PM »
<thread veer>A couple of instances.  Back in the day, when I was a civil serf at the Screw of IL, the business office in the department where I worked had an employee call in a bomb threat.  Took them six months to get rid of her.  The "Photo Services" (photocopying of library materials for academic purposes) dept down the hall from me had a guy who held up a grocery store.  Armed robbery.  Ditto, took months and months to get rid of him.</thread veer>
If that was the case, you should have called in a bomb threat every day...extra long vacation and no work!