Author Topic: telephone question  (Read 3977 times)

zahc

• friend
telephone question
« on: May 12, 2014, 11:43:35 PM »
When I call someone in the modern world and hear the ringing sounds, what am I actually hearing? A sound generated by my own phone based on some signal that confirms a call attempt is being made? A sound generated by their phone? A sound generated by the telephone company?

I seem to remember than in POTS there is a ring signal that comes over the line when someone is calling you and physically runs the ringer on your phone. Does that mean the person calling you actually hears the ringer of your phone? Can't be;no audio should be audible until you pick up.  So what do they hear?

How does the answer change in the following scenarios:

1 cell phone calling cell phone
2 cell phone calling landline
3 landline calling cell phone
4 landline calling landline

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: telephone question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 12:30:54 AM »
Audio tone to keep the caller engaged. No more.  The system is generating a familiar noise to let you know something is going on, but it could be anything from a ring tone to a bird chirping.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 12:31:52 AM »
In any case the initiating phone gets connected to a central office (CO) switch either by copper loop as in POTS or by way of the cell tower to a carrier to the CO switch. the CO switch on the calling end recieves the digits dialed and translates that to determine how to connect to the receiving phone.
The area code and 3 digit prefix tells the switch where it needs to "send" the call. Either to a conventional CO or to a cell network CO identified by the prefix as to which carrier it is. Remember that your cell phone is routinely handshaking with the cell network to let it know where your at.
The signals you here on the calling end originate at the CO you are connected to, that includes ringing, busy signal and reorder tone as well as recorded announcements like "The number you have reached is no longer in service".
The destination switch signals back to the origination switch telling it if the line is busy or if it is ringing through.

Fairly basic description-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loop_start
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:41:07 AM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:39:12 AM »
Audio tone to keep the caller engaged. No more.  The system is generating a familiar noise to let you know something is going on, but it could be anything from a ring tone to a bird chirping.

Brad
IIRC the European ringing signal the caller heard was just a tone.

About a dozen years ago I was installing what was then new IP based PBX systems. One of the early problems we had was that the calls were too quiet. If no one was talking the other end would think they had been disconnected. The manufacturer inserted a very low level of white noise to keep customers happy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 12:53:22 AM »

5 pot calling the kettle black
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 01:11:25 AM »
Almost forgot this important feature

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 01:23:24 AM »

"Smart" phone calling anything:  the first several seconds of sound are generated by the user cussing at how long it's taking to even really try to make the damn call.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 10:23:24 AM »
Almost forgot this important feature

I remember her.  My mom thought she was a riot  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 10:26:16 AM »
"Smart" phone calling anything:  the first several seconds of sound are generated by the user cussing at how long it's taking to even really try to make the damn call.

And at the end when you are trying to hang up and the *expletive deleted*ing phone won't respond to you hitting the end button...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 10:52:19 AM »

It's the same in Panama, a tone instead of a "ringing" noise.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 10:55:51 AM »
And at the end when you are trying to hang up and the *expletive deleted* phone won't respond to you hitting the end button...

Don't forget even more fun; since it didn't respond the first time you hit send, you poked it 2-3 more times, and when it finally does hang up, it tries to call back right away from the extra send commands it queued while you were trying to make the first call.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 11:19:03 AM »
Ring tone?

Those are the screams of millions of disembodied souls caught in the magnetic flux created by the lines.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

griz

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 12:12:32 PM »
Try calling a phone close enough that you can hear it ringing.  You might hear three or more "rings" before the phone you're calling actually rings.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »
So we have established that the ringing sound you hear when you call someone is fake,  even for old phones.  So, did the have banks of tape recorders available to pplay back the ringing sounds for the callers?

If I call a cell phone and its off, I will hear no ringing sound.  If I call a landline that is unplugged, do I hear a ringing sound?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 03:48:53 PM »

When I was in Germany, some people thought it was the busy signal and hang up.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 08:08:49 PM »
Ummmm, you have too much time on your hands.  Get a job!! :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 10:03:51 PM »
So we have established that the ringing sound you hear when you call someone is fake,  even for old phones.  So, did the have banks of tape recorders available to pplay back the ringing sounds for the callers?

If I call a cell phone and its off, I will hear no ringing sound.  If I call a landline that is unplugged, do I hear a ringing sound?

The ringing tone the caller hears is a signal based on a 20hz tone, pretty much unchanged since we went to automated dialing. And yes if you call a land line that is unpluged at the phone set the network will see an open loop/on hook condition and return a ringing signal back tot he calling station.

Samuel Adams