Author Topic: Great explanation of open carry as social/political pedagogy  (Read 6375 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Great explanation of open carry as social/political pedagogy
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2014, 10:07:39 AM »
I would just like to point out that Flakoo Delcampo sounds like the name of a Star Trek or Star Wars character.

He is the cousin of Wedge Antilles.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2014, 10:08:53 AM »
Wouldn't ugly girls work better for that? ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2014, 10:13:01 AM »
Wouldn't ugly girls work better for that? ???

When was the last time you cared if an ugly girl was angry at you?
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2014, 11:17:13 AM »

When was the last time you saw a bunch of beautiful women, and it made you want to not be there anymore?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 01:47:54 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2014, 02:58:05 PM »
I think we need a secret cadre rapid reaction force of hot pro-RKBA girls trained by Colin Noir to shame the neckbeard fatties, SKS-guidos, and camoflauge wearing guys into going home whenever there's even a chance of public or media attention regarding anything related to carry or firearms.

Well I was thinking more along the lines of a cargo van and some black hoods and duct tape and disappearing the freak show.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2014, 04:01:34 PM »
A reasonable argument can be made for carrying a pistol for self defense. I think the majority is actually behind us on this one even if they don't ever plan on carrying a gun. Knowing they have that option if they at some point have the desire to carry is what puts them on our side.

It is much more difficult to articulate a reason why it is rational behavior carrying an AR-15 around town while running errands. Personally I can't come up with a reason I would carry my AR around, esp knowing it will make a lot of people nervous. Being nervous around strangers carrying "military looking" rifles in public is actually the more rational behavior IMHO.

Some rights are better left un-exercised or rarely exercised just out of discretion.

Some might say just use some common sense and decency.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2014, 05:24:43 PM »
A reasonable argument can be made for carrying a pistol for self defense. I think the majority is actually behind us on this one even if they don't ever plan on carrying a gun. Knowing they have that option if they at some point have the desire to carry is what puts them on our side.
I don't think the majority are really with us on this.  The majority don't think about carrying guns either for or against, and many who really thought about it would be more uncomfortable than not.  "Soft-anti", if you will.  Even a lot of gun owners tend to be soft-anti when it comes to something outside their personal preferences.

The reason we're winning on the issue is that the real dedicated anti-gunners are a much smaller, less grassroots minority than the pro-gunners - but make no mistake, we are a minority too.

It is much more difficult to articulate a reason why it is rational behavior carrying an AR-15 around town while running errands. Personally I can't come up with a reason I would carry my AR around, esp knowing it will make a lot of people nervous. Being nervous around strangers carrying "military looking" rifles in public is actually the more rational behavior IMHO.
A lot of people who don't think about guns much will get nervous about people who don't look like cops open carrying handguns, and they probably see their discomfort as rational.

Some rights are better left un-exercised or rarely exercised just out of discretion.

Some might say just use some common sense and decency.
Very true.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2014, 06:45:01 AM »

Might depend on how big she is and/or how well armed she is. The why of her being angry at me could also come into play along with just how angry. Are we talking about a Bruce Banner level of "you won't like me when I'm angry" or something less?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2014, 08:14:54 PM »
It has never, in this country, been "normal" to OC a long gun for self-defense. Even on the frontier they stayed in the closet or on your horse (trunk of car equivalent) unless the Indians were known to be rising. It wasn't "The Rifleman", you left the damn thing at home in *town*.

Thus the very concept of "normalizing" rifle OC is nonsense and needs at best to be back-burnered for an imaginary future where it isn't puerile on its face.

And the excuse, "but, but Texas" doesn't justify it. The goal in Texas, that many of these maroons seem to forget, is to get legal *pistol* OC, as that is what is currently illegal. Texans already have rifle OC, all they can do with *that* right is *lose* it by exercising it stupidly.

So, the point we have to had successfully made to the "squares" (who we need positive at best, neutral at worst, when pistol OC comes up to vote) is that all gun owners want is to not have to wear a vest, or worry about their coat flying open, when they carry the exact same pistols they are carrying concealed now, in the exact same safe and non-controversial way.  Full Stop. Sell it to the soccer moms as convenience and fairness and logic, not ramming rights down their throats.

The best way to do that is probably to drop the "well we have to OC *something* angle (or people won't pay attention to us) and go to an empty (for G-d's sake not thigh rig or military) holster protest while carrying concealed. If you *must* have rifles, play up how silly the law is by carrying non-scary squirrel guns and such and point out you'd rather just be carrying a pistol.  Don't deliberately distract from your actual point by handing the anti's, scaredy-cats, and media their optics on a plate by looking and acting like you are patrolling for Tangoes in the Galleria.

Certainly don't walk around with ready-slung rifles into private property unannounced and uninvited talking about normalizing, which makes the undecided fear that is your preferred end-state, as opposed to just adding a pistol OC option.

Present yourself to the rest of the populace as their friends and neighbors, who are already carrying handguns around them safely and responsibly, who just are tired of untucked shirts. Quit playing wanna-be commando "look-at-me" games.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2014, 10:33:32 PM »
?...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2014, 10:39:17 PM »
Matthew Carberry...you are my new hero. That was well thought out and well spoken.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2014, 09:04:52 AM »
Matthew -

That was well said. I've tried to make the same points a few other places in response to these individuals, but don't think I did it as well as you just did.

For my part, I'd have had zero issue with them if they'd walked in to grab a burrito and a soda, or whatever, dressed EXACTLY as they are (as sloppy as I find it to be) and carrying the EXACT same rifles, but slung over the shoulder rather than on a single-point up front or freaking BRANDISHED as they did. I see nothing wrong with open-carrying a rifle, but you shouldn't look like you're about ready to open up on the people waiting at the register to pay for their tacos and burrito bowls.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2014, 01:17:48 PM »
You should be carrying the gun, the gun shouldn't be carrying you.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2014, 04:06:54 PM »
For my part, I'd have had zero issue with them if they'd walked in to grab a burrito and a soda, or whatever, dressed EXACTLY as they are (as sloppy as I find it to be) and carrying the EXACT same rifles, but slung over the shoulder rather than on a single-point up front or freaking BRANDISHED as they did. I see nothing wrong with open-carrying a rifle, but you shouldn't look like you're about ready to open up on the people waiting at the register to pay for their tacos and burrito bowls.

Like this:
 (I tried posting it in my last post, bt I had tablet fail).

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama