Author Topic: Friend asking for advice on air rifle, did I steer him wrong?  (Read 943 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Friend in a suburban neighborhood is having a pest problem and asked for advice on an air rifle. He has a safe backdrop and is legal to do so, but is trying to be discrete so the neighbors don't pitch a fit. Has a $150 budget. I mentioned the Gamo Whisper. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0018LB78E?pc_redir=1400596152&robot_redir=1

Not the best in the world I know, but from what I've heard it's decently powerful, acceptably accurate, comes with a scope, and a bit quieter than similar price point models.

Am I steering him wrong? I'm the goto "gun guy" for him, but I don't know much about the air rifle scene.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Friend asking for advice on air rifle, did I steer him wrong?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 02:08:38 AM »
The Crosman 2400KT is handy.  It is on my short list.  Get even quieter with an aftermarket muzzle break.
http://www.crosman.com/custom-shop
http://tko22.com/index.html

Mine would dress out with aftermarket muzzle break at less than $200.  A smidge over $150 before shipping.

Supposed to be a good thumper in .22.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 02:58:57 AM »
Interesting, I hadn't considered a Co2 model.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 04:48:21 AM »
.22 rifle shooting colibris is quieter than a spring piston air gun. Especially if you fire from 6 ft. inside your window. Or so I've heard.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 07:30:40 AM »
.22 rifle shooting colibris is quieter than a spring piston air gun. Especially if you fire from 6 ft. inside your window. Or so I've heard.

Maybe, maybe not.  My BSA Supersport 22 air rifle had more thump (wish I hadn't sold it). Sorry, I imagined a comment about power  Also, you shouldn't shoot Colibris from a rifle.  Maybe Super Colibris, but not the regular ones.  Finally, if you were to fall afoul of the po po for shooting a gun on your property, you're more likely to successfully feign ignorance if it's an airgun.

I've never been a fan of Gamo because of how they inflate their velocity numbers using the lightest pellets possible, but they're supposed to be decent guns.  That said, if I were going to buy an airgun today, I'd probably go for a Benjamin pump gun.

CO2 can be loud.  I owned a Crosman 22cal similar to the K2300 Rooster linked to and it was shockingly loud.

Chris
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 09:58:09 AM by mtnbkr »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 09:35:04 AM »

That.
I have a Gamo spring rifle that is MUCH louder than the old 581 shooting CB caps.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 09:59:24 AM »
That.
I have a Gamo spring rifle that is MUCH louder than the old 581 shooting CB caps.

True, but in some areas it's verboten to shoot a firearm, but ok to shoot an air rifle.  Even if air rifles are verboten, you're more likely to successfully feign ignorance with airguns than actual powder rifles.  All this assumes you got caught in the first place...

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 10:20:22 AM »
Maybe, maybe not.  My BSA Supersport 22 air rifle had more thump (wish I hadn't sold it).

I've got a Supersport.  (My brother has it at his house.)  It's a thumper, and not all that quiet.  I put it about par with a .22 CB cap.

Sorry, I imagined a comment about power  Also, you shouldn't shoot Colibris from a rifle.  Maybe Super Colibris, but not the regular ones.  Finally, if you were to fall afoul of the po po for shooting a gun on your property, you're more likely to successfully feign ignorance if it's an airgun.

CB caps in a lever or bolt action, or single shot, would be quiet enough. 

I've never been a fan of Gamo because of how they inflate their velocity numbers using the lightest pellets possible,

They all do that.

That said, if I were going to buy an airgun today, I'd probably go for a Benjamin pump gun.

They no longer make the Sheridan Blue Streak .20.   I think they still make the same thing in .177 and .22 under the Benjamin name.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 11:05:05 AM »
I've got a Supersport.  (My brother has it at his house.)  It's a thumper, and not all that quiet.  I put it about par with a .22 CB cap.

CB caps in a lever or bolt action, or single shot, would be quiet enough. 

Agree, but I could get away shooting it in my parents' backyard when I'd visit.  The laws don't care about noise, only the propellant.

They all do that.
Gamo was more aggressive than the others (at the time, this was the late 90s) about that.  They were using pellets well below the commonly available weights.  The take-away for me is, don't rely on their velocity numbers as a comparison to other guns.  You don't want a pellet rifle that drives a pellet faster than sound in the first place.

They no longer make the Sheridan Blue Streak .20.   I think they still make the same thing in .177 and .22 under the Benjamin name.

If I got one, it would be the .177 or .22 anyway.  .20 pellets are kind of hard to find.

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 12:14:32 PM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
Gamo was more aggressive than the others (at the time, this was the late 90s) about that.

Precision Sales' Supersport promo?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 12:23:30 PM »
Precision Sales' Supersport promo?

Yup.

Chris

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 01:42:26 PM »
Yes.  Unless he just wants an excuse to have an air gun. Unless his pests are unusual, trapping is a more efficient way to get rid of them-traps work 24/7, don't require any visual sighting, and can be placed in multiple locations.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 02:59:20 PM »

About half the noise from my ancient Feinwerkbau .177 seems to be from the piston spring and piston.  A minor amount of other noise is from the impact of the pellet.

I gave a 10-pump Crosman .177 to a friend so he could clear the squirrels from his veggie garden.  An advantage was that it could be pumped only four times for pretty stealthy squirrel popping.

(Just to add to the data pool, I've got a propane-powered "Airsoft" handgun which is pretty darned loud, almost like a .22 short out of a rifle.  I've also got an 80lb crossbow handgun whose mechanism makes a noise like a screen door slamming shut pretty hard.)

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:30:25 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 05:42:19 PM »
Yes.  Unless he just wants an excuse to have an air gun. Unless his pests are unusual, trapping is a more efficient way to get rid of them-traps work 24/7, don't require any visual sighting, and can be placed in multiple locations.

Are there good traps for crows?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 06:22:30 PM »
I have a RWS 34, and it does a good job and is not too loud (it's a break-action springer)  A .177 doesn't kill a rabbit as cleanly as I'd like; I might shoulda bought the same gun in .22 caliber.  But I've started using hollow-point pellets and that helps quite a bit. 
"It's good, though..."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 10:51:35 PM »
I own a Beeman R1 in .177.  One heckuva air rifle.  But it sounds like a .22short.  And I do not like the way the break action rifles have to be held for good accuracy. 

The dude at Ted's Holdover youtube channel has a grand recommendation on a reasonable PCP .22 pellet rifle that comes with a bicycle pump like device that gets the PCP charged up sufficiently.

With scope the whole deal is sub $500, with better scope $550.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch2n1a4Q_Z0&list=PLDDE0912CE3A989AE&index=3

Or, $60 for a cheap pump.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3qHC7bzi-w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyiaJy54DuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THclcV-KcQg

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton