Author Topic: The Deadly Game of Tug of War  (Read 530 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: The Deadly Game of Tug of War
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 02:46:22 PM »
I understand that the arresting cables on aircraft carriers occasionally (or at least used to) snap and take off deck crews' legs and things. 

I vaguely recall that tensioning the cables during construction of a suspension bridge is kind of a dicey operation, too.

Hell, even rubber bands that let go can give you a pretty good thwap.  Used to bundle sorted mail with large-ish rubber bands, so I know.

Stored energy suddenly released results in a lot of power.  I once calculated the horsepower involved in firing a .22 rimfire worked out to about 90 hp... or something in that range.  Don't rightly recollect.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:51:32 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 08:45:48 PM »
End Tug-of-War now!

Even if it's the life of only one child that is saved!

stay safe.

Well, someone had to say it
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 08:35:35 AM »
Stored energy suddenly released results in a lot of power.  I once calculated the horsepower involved in firing a .22 rimfire worked out to about 90 hp... or something in that range.  Don't rightly recollect.

70ftlbs of energy in about 0.001-0.002s, 35-70,000ftlbs/second = ~64-128hp, pretty good recollection :)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 08:56:31 AM »
I've seen vehicle winch cables let go and do considerable damage to the vehicles involved.  Have heard plenty of tales of them doing damage to people who don't stay out of the way.  When I had a winch, I was anal about safety including using towels to weight the cable and keeping spectators clear.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”