Author Topic: Trailer brake systems  (Read 4085 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Trailer brake systems
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2014, 10:08:24 PM »
Actually a lot of people did pull pretty big trailers with the cars of that era, equipped with equalizer hitches.  (not that it would be my first choice [3/4 ton ++], but full size cars and half ton pickups shared a lot of parts back then)

But of course you won't remember that  :lol:

I know I used to own a few of those vehicles from the 60's and 70's.

You get a nice 40mph cross wind on a 5-7k camper/horse trailer and that car will be whipped all over the road.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2014, 10:34:46 PM »
I know I used to own a few of those vehicles from the 60's and 70's.

You get a nice 40mph cross wind on a 5-7k camper/horse trailer and that car will be whipped all over the road.

Ya had to be tuff back in those days  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2014, 10:24:30 AM »
Drag chutes and a large hook plow mounted to the back on hydraulic actuators so you can drop anchor remotely.

Or just wrap detcord around the axle.  Once the wheels are off, brakes don't matter.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2014, 11:03:19 AM »
A lot of people pulled big trailers with cars back in those days.

One reason that fifth wheel trailers took such a long time catching on was that you had to have a pickup to pull it.  People wanted a luxury car for their vacation.  Nowadays pickups are fancier than cars.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2014, 11:07:31 AM »
One reason that fifth wheel trailers took such a long time catching on was that you had to have a pickup to pull it.

And this didn't catch on too well . . . :

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2014, 11:21:25 AM »
Nah, I want Jetto's rig from Highwayman.

(Now let's see who remembers that show.)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2014, 11:36:14 AM »
A lot of people pulled big trailers with cars back in those days.

One reason that fifth wheel trailers took such a long time catching on was that you had to have a pickup to pull it.  People wanted a luxury car for their vacation.  Nowadays pickups are fancier than cars.

That and a lot of travel and stock trailers have gotten heavier. Seen some of the new horse trailers?

I don't think the 78 Caprice would like pulling a 10k# travel trailer.

http://www.coachmenrv.com/products/catalina.aspx?page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=5323
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2014, 07:19:35 PM »
That and a lot of travel and stock trailers have gotten heavier. Seen some of the new horse trailers?

I don't think the 78 Caprice would like pulling a 10k# travel trailer.

http://www.coachmenrv.com/products/catalina.aspx?page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=5323
Mmm, some of each ... travel trailers are built lighter/stronger than they used to be, but in general have gotten bigger to make up the difference.  I used to have a Holiday 22'  and that thing was heavy  :O  It had genuine birch paneling inside with cabinets made out of real wood - beautiful  =).  I pulled it with a K-20 and just a ball on the bumper but it was intended to be pulled with a large car with Reese hitch.  Other than the rear springs, cars were as heavy as pickups and often had much bigger engines.

Yeah, and some of those new horse trailers need to be pulled with a real truck, not even just a pickup  =|