Author Topic: Gun Range in Cook Coounty under fire.  (Read 2138 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Gun Range in Cook Coounty under fire.
« on: May 29, 2014, 03:13:32 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Gun Range in Cook Coounty under fire.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 03:18:35 PM »
Finding casings in their yard? Riddle me how a casing comes from the range to their yards?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 03:22:24 PM »
Someone carries in their hand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »
Finding casings in their yard? Riddle me how a casing comes from the range to their yards?

they're shooting back?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 05:15:41 PM »
Is it just me or is that "bullet" hole in video look wrong?

That does not strike me as even a half decent fake "bullet hole."
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 05:35:09 PM »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 05:52:29 PM »
That's an exit hole.  And it looks punched, as opposed to being shot.

Could not get a decent look at the bullet, but there did not appear to be any rifling.

Curiouser and curiouser.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 05:53:42 PM »
We have been fighting this also- people move in , don't like the noise, get together with a bunch of democrat lawmakers and drum up some fake "safety" complaint.  

That guy was lying. His body language alone gave him away, as well as the inside out bullet hole- to get it to look like that the shooter would have had to either been inside the trailer skirting or on the other side of the trailer.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 05:56:58 PM »
I passed over this earlier -

the hole looks like it was made from something travelling generally parallel to the flat of the earth.  How did that happen if the round escaped from the firing range?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 07:04:02 PM »
That does not strike me as even a half decent fake "bullet hole."

To qualify as a fake bullet hole, it would have to bear a passing resemblance to a bullet hole. Unless the bullet is supposed to have been fired from the crawl space, not so much.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 05:06:23 AM »

thanks for saving me googling that.

Not just Chicago. Local (Albermarle, VA) progressive cousin-humpers are opposing an INDOOR range and citing noise as their complaint.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 05:12:11 AM »
That's an exit hole.  And it looks punched, as opposed to being shot.

Could not get a decent look at the bullet, but there did not appear to be any rifling.

Curiouser and curiouser.

stay safe.

I was going to say the same thing.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 07:49:06 AM »
thanks for saving me googling that.

Not just Chicago. Local (Albermarle, VA) progressive cousin-humpers are opposing an INDOOR range and citing noise as their complaint.
I am ashamed to say they successfully shut down a state of the art indoor range here by opening a daycare near by and invoking "what about the children". The action was all landlord based though no gov involved

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 09:02:22 AM »
*expletive deleted* liberals.
Our range went through this bullshit a year ago.
Some jackass *expletive deleted* 'found' a .45 'bullet' in his yard in a direction/distance/and angle that would have been impossible to have come from our club. The shotgunner fudds at the club took it seriously and imposed a 'no rapid fire rule where you cannot fire more than one shot every 2 seconds or so- the High power/pistol/F-class/CMP shooters were at first told they could no longer have matches, but then the rules were relaxed a bit for matches. I absolutely can't wait for the day when someone buy a bag of shot and sprinkles it on their lawn 2 miles away from the club and claims it came from the skeet shooters.
A lot of hysteria caused by incredibly ignorant people, just because someone sprinkled a few rounds on his lawn.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 01:29:26 PM »
There is also the issue of Harvey being a gangbanger free-fire zone.  But hey, "it came from the range" is the excuse.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 01:35:36 PM »
The shotgunner fudds

Oh no you dint

Now we're gonna have Charby flippin out...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 02:40:49 PM »
Oh no you dint

Now we're gonna have Charby flippin out...

LOL.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 04:53:36 PM »
A bit more detail:

Editorial

The pot calling the kettle black

David A. Lombardo

Harvey, Illinois, is like roaches in the cabinet under your kitchen sink. When they appear they make you want to throw up. You quickly do something to solve the problem; they disappear only to resurface another day. Now to be clear, I'm not talking about the residents of Harvey, though the village certainly has more than its share of socially deviant miscreants. I'm talking about the "pillars of the community": the mayor, the city fathers, the police and any other municipal agency with a hand to collect bribes or pull a trigger.

Harvey has the distinguished record of the highest violent crime rate in the metropolitan Chicago area at 17 violent crime reports per 1,000 residents. While we like to think of Chicago as the crime capital, it only gets 10.0 violent crime reports per 1,000 people. Of course Detroit tops the nation's list at 142.8, but then maybe that's why Chicago is known as The Second City. Which brings me to the point.

Harvey Mayor Eric Kellogg issued a cease-and-desist Thursday morning for the Harvey gun range saying "...residents complained about bullet casings landing in their yards and even in their homes." One can only wonder what secret military weapon was being fired at the range that would result in spent casings ejecting over 600 yards off the property.

During an NBC Channel 5 report, residents blamed the range for stray bullets that have penetrated or landed near their homes and in backyards while children are playing. Oddly, some of those homes aren't even in proximity to the actual range.

John Howard, operator of the USI Bureau Outdoor Shooting Range, disputes those claims, citing the physics of guns-you know, that inconvenient truth thing raising its ugly head again. In the interest of full disclosure, John Howard is a friend, but the statistics are third party.

Howard told me in an exclusive interview that the range in fact has passed all city inspections and that basic ballistics doesn't support the claims. "This isn't what anyone would consider a low crime area," Howard told me.

In fact gunshots are more common than cricket chirps on a summer eve. The most recent complaint was made by someone who'd made a similar complaint in the past. In that incident, upon examination, the offensive bullet proved to be pristine and had never been fired from a gun. To be fair this time there is a bullet hole in the complainant's trailer, but if it came from the shooting range, it must be the distant cousin of the famous "magic bullet" that killed JFK.

Sitting squarely in the center of this issue is Harvey's rampant crime, much of which appears to come from city employees! In 2008 four Harvey police officers were among 17 people charged in connection with an operation involving drugs, cash and gambling. In an unrelated incident a former Harvey detective was convicted of taking a handgun from police custody and returning it to the family of the felon arrested for having it in exchange for cash.

In a Chicago Tribune article earlier this year, Tribune reporters wrote, "It's a community where officers can keep their guns and badges despite questionable conduct highlighted in scandal after scandal."

And if that's not enough, this is a town were trigger-happy cops shot an innocent man in the back of his leg without cause, threatened to shoot a witness with a camera, then shot the witness's 14-week-old puppy and refused to let anyone help the dog for the more than six hours it took for it to die.

In 2012 the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice wrote in a letter to Mayor Kellogg about the many problems it documented: "Addressing these deficiencies should be HPD's highest priority, as we believe that these lapses, if not corrected, may result in unnecessary injury and/or loss of life to officers or civilians." The feds noted many of Harvey's law enforcement encounters resulted in serious injuries to the subjects, including a fractured spine, broken jaw, fractured bones in the face and neck, head injuries, a dislocated shoulder, facial nerve damage and broken teeth.

This past week Sandra Alvarado, a top aide, spokeswoman and Mayor Kellogg's girlfriend who abruptly quit her job, has gone on record saying Harvey officials run a dangerous organization that routinely ignores illegal acts. "Where can individuals that are elected, appointed or hired to serve the public behave lawlessly? In the City of Harvey, that's where. City officials are aware of illegal and immoral acts and do absolutely nothing about it," Alvarado wrote.

With the eyes of Cook County and the world glaring once again at Kellogg and the Harvey officials, doesn't it seem a tad bit convenient that a magic bullet at a gun range largely used by law enforcement would bump all that out of the headlines and allow Mayor Kellogg to go on television touting his positive action over such a great threat to the citizens of Harvey? If you ask me, it's time to order one really big can of roach spray.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 05:14:04 PM »
...threatened to shoot a witness with a camera...

Yikes! That would be a fairly large, heavy projectile.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 06:48:57 PM »

Watched the video.  Pictured looked like a .45 bullet, not a casing.  The hole does look to have been punched outward, though I'll point out that when it comes to high speed interactions you can have weird effects.

I also find it odd that he could come back to multiple windows busted and only have ONE bullet hole to show off if it was happening from the range.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2014, 07:56:57 PM »
According to the article, they are finding casings in their yards, and blaming the gun range.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 08:31:38 PM »
From google earth,it looks like the "range",and I believe I'm being generous here,is maybe 200 yards beyond the backstop.
The aerial view looks a lot like the street views of Detroit posted a couple of days ago.
It had never occurred to me that their was that much empty/vacant/run down land in Chicago.That area looks like beyond blight-more returning to earth.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Harvey,+IL/@41.6129883,-87.6804235,697m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x880e22509fe5b3d1:0xbfc5530c44a089ed

It looks like some shooting was going on when the pic was taken.

What came first?The vacant lot or the run down trailer park?

edit:I meant that the trailer park looks to be 200yds beyond the target area.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:53:52 AM by onions! »
jeff w

I like onions!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 09:35:41 PM »
People are jerks.

And almost no one understands basic ballistics.

We had a cop out here cruising around trying to figure out how someone shot a neighbors above-ground pool.

Now, if someone *did* actually shoot the pool (instead of poking a hole with a stick), it was probably someone who was living there being drunk and stupid.

As we were the closest with an obvious shooting habit (range in the front yard) we were the cops target, even though shooting that pool from our property intentionally would have been so difficult it would approch impossibility.
Acciedental stray bullet or riccochie off our backstop? Uhhhh... No... But thanks for playing Officer Dumbass.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 10:55:34 AM »

Someone must have been firing a Mini-14!  =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G