Author Topic: Self driving cars: what do you think?  (Read 862 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Self driving cars: what do you think?
« on: May 29, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/28/tech/innovation/google-self-driving-car/

Aside from the privacy and autonomy issues, another interesting point is that this would rob most places of a huge income stream. Since I doubt that any .gov will willingly give up money, would they then criminalize even more innocuous activity in order to generate revenue?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
Re: Self driving cars: what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 06:28:56 PM »
For many years I had a ten mile commute to and from work.In the morning,75-80mph and 12-15 minutes for the commute.The five o'clock parking lot gave me much time to think about traffic.I concluded that if we all used self driving cars traffic could be much smoother and that I might get home in less than 40 minutes.

Ignoring the big brother aspects and just focusing on the practical,I think that they're a good idea.Also,a good friend of mine has two daughters,now 22 & 24 I think,that didn't even want to get licences until after high school.They didn't see the point in driving because they always rode the bus or got a ride.I believe that they'd embrace the idea immediately.
jeff w

I like onions!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 06:37:29 PM »
I would express my opinion here, but it might make balog all butt-hurt as it would be seen as me attempting to be intellectually superior.  So I won't.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 07:02:55 PM »
I would express my opinion here, but it might make balog all butt-hurt as it would be seen as me attempting to be intellectually superior.  So I won't.

Good lord, do you realize how petty and childish your behavior is right now? I've repeatedly publicly acknowledged that you're smarter than I am. I welcome your thoughts on all things, especially those relating to your various fields of expertise. I don't immediately think you're correct in your assessment of Snowden, and suddenly you start trolling my threads to make pathetic little passive aggressive comments?

Grow up.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 07:35:37 PM »
Good lord, do you realize how petty and childish your behavior is right now? I've repeatedly publicly acknowledged that you're smarter than I am. I welcome your thoughts on all things, especially those relating to your various fields of expertise. I don't immediately think you're correct in your assessment of Snowden, and suddenly you start trolling my threads to make pathetic little passive aggressive comments?

Grow up.

When you say things like:
Balog: "From what I've observed, they're actually pretty consistent. Anytime someone dares to disagree with you or say something negative about a group you are a part of, you lose your bearing and start calling people stupid. So, par for the course really."

It makes me a little skittish of hurting your or other's feelings if I disagree with someone, since I apparently do that all the time.  Since I'm so childish (your words), its hard for to draw the line between debate, technical content, and insulting behavior.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 07:53:55 PM »
When you say things like:
Balog: "From what I've observed, they're actually pretty consistent. Anytime someone dares to disagree with you or say something negative about a group you are a part of, you lose your bearing and start calling people stupid. So, par for the course really."

It makes me a little skittish of hurting your or other's feelings if I disagree with someone, since I apparently do that all the time.  Since I'm so childish (your words), its hard for to draw the line between debate, technical content, and insulting behavior.

Really not helping yourself dude.

You said "Or are you all that *expletive deleted* stupid?" you edited your posts with "F this" and "Screw you", you repeated directly addressed me by saying "Screw you"... And now you want to play the injured party because I pointed out that you don't handle criticism well? You start thread stalking me to sht on my unrelated threads in a different sub-forum, then pretend to be wounded when I call your behavior childish?

Most folks don't strongly disagree with you because most of your posts are either innocuous or about technical matters that we don't have a strong opinion on. But yes, every time I recall having personally observed you reacting to someone strongly disagreeing with you (on this board or on facebook for that matter) the response has been similar. Anger, insults, and attempting to paint yourself as the aggrieved party. I stand by my statements and a search of those posts of yours that you haven't changed to merely say "Screw you" reveals this. Your behavior is childish, and your attempts to defend yourself are just making it worse.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 08:15:59 PM »
No one told me it was "*expletive deleted* on some threads like a goose with the squirts" night on APS...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 08:22:21 PM »
With that classy rejoinder, I believe we'll call this one done.

Chris