Author Topic: Long Term Offenders Program in Colorado  (Read 460 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Long Term Offenders Program in Colorado
« on: June 04, 2014, 09:00:20 PM »
http://www.npr.org/2014/06/04/317055077/life-after-life-aging-inmates-struggle-for-redemption?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20140604

Not a bad idea, considering that most people do get out of prison eventually.  I can only imagine how hard it would be to find a job.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Long Term Offenders Program in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 09:14:06 PM »
And not just for old timers. I think everyone should do 6 months of work release on the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 06:35:43 AM »
Not a bad idea, considering that most people do get out of prison eventually.  I can only imagine how hard it would be to find a job.

Does anybody realistically expect a guy 50+, with 10/15/20+ years of prison, to be able to find a job?

There are folks in that age range with stellar, spotless records who cannot find employment.

When I was an Institutional Parole Officer (setting up inmates for release, including doing job hunts) often even the tax credits and "training wage" incentives were not enough to get somebody hired in a position that had been screamingly vacant for months.  And those were all folks under 50 with as much as 2years of work release experience.

Yes, employers would take work release inmates because, among other things, they had a huge axe over their heads to control for attendance, performance, and especially "attitude".  But when the time came to carry the inmate over to free-world employment it was a totally different story.

None of this is to excuse the mindset that ex-cons have to work against.  It should not exist, but it does.  Given the age of these guys, I'd rather set them up on welfare in a home for adults (as much as many of them are cesspools) and spend the tax dollars and effort on the under-40 crowd.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 09:51:02 AM »
I am fond of programs like this
http://www.dccentralkitchen.org/marvins-story-of-second-chances/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I