Author Topic: NPR talks about MLK's gun collection  (Read 1057 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
Re: NPR talks about MLK's gun collection
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 01:58:38 PM »
Uhoh, looks like another inconvenient truth slipped out..
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 04:28:56 PM »
Good story - thanks for posting.

The tinfoil pessimist in me sees "diversification" being built into future gun laws - exemptions for the more popular minorities (I kid, I think).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 04:47:15 PM »
Good story - thanks for posting.

The tinfoil pessimist in me sees "diversification" being built into future gun laws - exemptions for the more popular minorities (I kid, I think).

Oh, crap. Just when you can't think of any more stupid gun laws...

"Illinois's newly revised gun law will require that a certain percentage of carry permits be issued to women, and specified racial groups, before any more are issued to white males. Chicago Mayor Rahm Eemanuel calls it an important step toward self-defense justice."  :rofl:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 10:09:43 PM »
See, NPR is just a bunch of corporate fascists now. At least that's what I got out of the comments. ;/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 10:23:56 PM »
^^^ That, and Gandhi didn't need guns to get rid of the British.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 10:09:48 AM »

But we did  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 10:34:37 AM »
Don't laugh - a story slipped out a year or two back that Austin, TX cops were being rated on the diversity of their ticket writing; it seems that "persons of color" were getting a disproportionate share of tickets, so the cops were essentially being forced to stop writing tickets to certain minorities until their Caucasian ticket numbers caught up. The term coined was "De-Policing" and after one brief set of reports, no mention was ever made again in public.

The point being, if they can do it for traffic stops, they can - unofficially, of course - do it for anything.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 12:31:32 PM »

Interestingly though Gandhi stated that depriving the Indian people of their guns was one of the wrongs commited by the British in India.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 12:47:51 PM »

That's because he didn't have them.  Otherwise he would have used them.   The Brits learned after the 1857 Sepoy Rebellion and reorganized the army.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 02:04:40 PM »
The funny part of all of this is that it's not even really a pro-gun or pro-RKBA article.

The whole point seems to be "MLK & Co had guns to defend themselves. So therefore they were not supernatural saints, but were real flawed flesh-n-blood people that put their pants on one leg at a time, as witnessed by all the gawdawful bludthirsty moider-macheen gunz they had, just like the evil racists. And that by deifying them, you're denying their humanity."-or some such tripe.

So to my eyes, the whole article is just another spin at the whole "MLK slept around, he was a complex man.. woo-hoo, look at my edgy writing!"-thing.

Sort of like a play on the femynst meme that women defending themselves actually bolsters "rape culture", because a woman shooting a rapist somehow detracts from the kumbyah notion that not shaving armpits, burning bras, beating drums, and generally being insufferable PITA's at college campuses to simply "end all rape" is better.

Although, sucks for the women waiting in the meantime I guess.  =|
I promise not to duck.