Author Topic: A new way of training software engineers  (Read 515 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: A new way of training software engineers
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 11:17:59 PM »
Oh, sure!  Turn out people who actually know not only what they are doing but why.  And are self-motivated to get the job done right, as opposed to thinking they can always whip up a fix or workaround or whatever it is you geek types call it.

What could go wrong?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 11:27:51 PM »
Oh, sure!  Turn out people who actually know not only what they are doing but why.  And are self-motivated to get the job done right, as opposed to thinking they can always whip up a fix or workaround or whatever it is you geek types call it.

What could go wrong?

stay safe.

In my experience, the latter learn through experience to DO the former.

Most of the GREAT devs i've worked with have very little formal college. Many are dropouts who just started coding on their own, got some dev certs, and went to work contributing to open source projects and doing QA and code review.

Same goes for IT folk. The best guys i know slogged it out in the help desk trenches, got interested in various technologies, and through tinkering and progressively asking for more responsibility, ended up with expertise in a given area, and then later certs. Many of em get the degree later as an afterthought.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 11:31:26 PM by Fitz »
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 01:18:56 AM »
Yep, some of the best programmers are self taught and minimally educated.

Of course, some of the worst programmers are self taught and minimally educated, too. 

I won't hold my breath on this french non-school school thing.