Author Topic: Bumblebee to the rescue!  (Read 976 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Bumblebee to the rescue!
« on: June 19, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »
Ok, not really, but sure looks like that:

http://theconversation.com/no-thats-not-a-video-of-a-bee-rescuing-its-friend-from-a-spider-28020

And, in support of the "Bumblebees are too dumb to act to rescue one another" theory:

The other day I put a screened tent outside our house. One door was somewhat left open and I come back to find a bee continually bumping against a screen wall.

To help him out, I pull the screen all the way to the side so all he has to do is come to the edge of the wall he's bumping against to get out.

An hour later I come back to shut the screen and find that there is no longer a bee in there. There's 4.  :facepalm:
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Bumblebee to the rescue!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 05:11:08 PM »
You somehow created an attractive nuisance.  I have a bamboo curtain on the west balcony I drop to shield the west window from the sun.  The flies gathered on that like mad when there were horses in the pastures.

It's been drenched by rain, sterilized by UV, hot, cold, everything you could think of to sanitize it, doesn't smell (to me anyhow) and the flies still thought it was a great fly meeting place.

When I had my shop, I had certain wires hanging down from the ceiling (power to my lathe and the like) and at the end of the day, they'd gather on the vertical wires but not on the horizontal portions of the same wires.

Go figure.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:15:19 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Regolith

• friend
Re: Bumblebee to the rescue!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 05:56:53 PM »
You somehow created an attractive nuisance.  I have a bamboo curtain I drop to shield the west window from the sun.  The flies gathered on that like mad when there were horses in the pastures.

It's been drenched by rain, sterilized by UV, hot, cold, everything you could think of to sanitize it, doesn't smell (to me anyhow) and the flies still thought it was a great fly meeting place.
Go figure.

Probably the warmth from the sun attracts them to that spot, with the bamboo getting warmer than the rest of the house's exterior. We have a similar issue with box elder beetles hanging out on the south-west side of the house.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth