Author Topic: WiFi card problem... connection hog.  (Read 716 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
WiFi card problem... connection hog.
« on: June 20, 2014, 11:50:23 AM »
My home desktop is set up wifi and it's being problematic.  If I leave the connection up, internet access for everything keeps keeting slower and laggierover time. After several days it will drop to about a third of the normal speed, andping times jump to three or four times normal. Left long enough it will get so bad that I will begin getting timeout errors.

It isn't a bug, or at least not one that my three forms of ad/malware detects.  Nor is it a rootkit.  I've run several different detectors for that to.  Also, there doen't seem to be any appreciable change in internet traffic volume as the speed and ping time drops.  Finally, if I go into wifi on the computer and do a quick Disconnect/Connect in settings, speed and ping pop right back to normal and the process begins anew.  I should add that the problem has been around for a couple years. My solution was to leave the connection down most of the time, enabling connectivity for a day or two each week for malware & system uodates and such.

Something is hogging resources but I've run out of things to try. Power cycled, cleared caching, turn off all the predictive and load-faster www stuff (or think I've got it all turned off anyway). Suggestion?  Thoughts?  Bueller?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

fifth_column

• friend
Re: WiFi card problem... connection hog.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 01:53:32 PM »
Update NIC drivers, and the firmware on the laptop and router.  Maybe try a third-party firmware like DD-WRT for the wireless router.

You could also try ignoring it in the hopes it will soon go away.  Or prayer.  Perhaps sacrifices to the electron gods.  Maybe have your fillings replaced with non-conductive material . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 02:35:18 PM »
[standard nonhelpful response]
You should just run ethernet!

[standard nonhelpful response 2]
Have you tried linux?

Seriously though, could be crappy driver software.  Perhaps try a different card in that computer?

Alternately, probe it out with wireshark, see if you can find any weirdness with what's going over that connection.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 05:30:07 PM »
Driver is up to date, and a minor crisis averted.  Cnet lists an updated driver (if you can call 2008 updated) for the Realtek card I have.  Click on the download link, unclick all the bloatware options listed, install driver.

Buuuuut....

It also installed four pieces of junkware that took me the best part of an hour to rip out.  Until today, I had a pretty decent opinion of cnet as a driver resource.  No more.

After all that mess the updated-ish driver didn't work anyway even though my card is specifically listed.  Meh.  Removed the card in Device Manager and let Windows reinstall with the driver it wanted.  Maybe that will help.

Brad
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 12:24:45 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 10:59:46 PM »
You did not let the magic smoke out of one of the devices did you?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods