Author Topic: Atlantic article on Iraq policy  (Read 998 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Atlantic article on Iraq policy
« on: June 25, 2014, 12:38:04 PM »
Here's an article from a left-leaning opinion rag on our Iraq policy.  It's a thorough and well-researched accounting of the political and diplomatic side of our Iraq policy over these past few years.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/06/obamas-disastrous-iraq-policy-an-autopsy/373225/

I'm not looking to rehash old arguments, but I thought this was very interesting and worth sharing.  

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Atlantic article on Iraq policy
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 01:01:01 PM »
Thanks. Informative, and damned depressing. There's nothing like realizing what you knew was bad is, in fact, a whole lot worse.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 02:19:19 PM »

Basically, yep. We had a really stupid policy from the get-go. It got worse under Obama, which was basically let Maliki do whatever the hell he wanted. Which was basically let Maliki purge any and all Sunni from government. Which will guarantee a continued insurgency. Either Maliki will loot the treasury and flee the country if it looks like it's going to fall, or he's going to kick the hell out of the Sunni population.

Plus side is, our incompetence is working in favor of the Kurds. They're keeping a low profile, building infrastructure, probably acquiring weapons, and making nice with Turkey. Best hope for them is that the Sunni and Shiites rip each other to shreds, allowing the Kurds the chance to gain de facto independence.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 02:28:29 PM »
Basically, yep. We had a really stupid policy from the get-go. It got worse under Obama, which was basically let Maliki do whatever the hell he wanted. Which was basically let Maliki purge any and all Sunni from government. Which will guarantee a continued insurgency. Either Maliki will loot the treasury and flee the country if it looks like it's going to fall, or he's going to kick the hell out of the Sunni population.

Plus side is, our incompetence is working in favor of the Kurds. They're keeping a low profile, building infrastructure, probably acquiring weapons, and making nice with Turkey. Best hope for them is that the Sunni and Shiites rip each other to shreds, allowing the Kurds the chance to gain de facto independence.

I have to wonder if Turkey might not even offer to make them a part of the country. Might help further pacify the Kurds in Turkey and plays into their Ottoman ambitions.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »
I have to wonder if Turkey might not even offer to make them a part of the country. Might help further pacify the Kurds in Turkey and plays into their Ottoman ambitions.

Meh, Kurds aren't looking for a different master to hold the leash.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 03:30:06 PM »
Maybe Turkey would offer to recognize an Iraqi Kurdistan (and support Kurd claims to oil resources) on the condition that Kurds in Turkey hoof it over to Iraqi Kurdistan and the oil leaves IK via a new pipeline that dumps out into the Bosphorus.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 11:03:48 PM »

The Kurds are the only smart ones there.  IIRC, they recently grabbed Kirkuk after the Iraqi army hiked their skirts and ran from ISIS:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/25/us-iraq-security-kurds-oil-idUSKBN0F02KL20140625
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 09:30:07 AM »
Maybe Turkey would offer to recognize an Iraqi Kurdistan (and support Kurd claims to oil resources) on the condition that Kurds in Turkey hoof it over to Iraqi Kurdistan and the oil leaves IK via a new pipeline that dumps out into the Bosphorus.

That's possible, but I doubt the Kurds will want to give up Turkish Kurdistan, which is significant in size. It's two or three times the size of Iraqi Kurdistan.

Honestly, we should have moved all of our "left behind" equipment into Iraqi Kurdistan. Then again, it'd likely be used against Turkey, so... meh. Kurds are probably the best friends we have in the region, but they're gorram stubborn people. They're the Middle East version of American rednecks.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 04:12:12 PM »
I read someplace else:
How do you say "Ngo Dinh Diem" in Arabic?  "Nouri al-Maliki"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton