Author Topic: %71 of America's youth unfit to serve  (Read 2418 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
%71 of America's youth unfit to serve
« on: June 30, 2014, 02:25:37 PM »

http://online.wsj.com/articles/recruits-ineligibility-tests-the-military-1403909945?mod=trending_now_1

Of course, in the event of a large scale war those standards would get relaxed. I had no idea that ADHD meds were a disqualifier.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: %71 of America's youth unfit to serve
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 03:21:36 PM »
What's the dependents disqualifier?  I'm too old now, and doubt any branch would have touched me after the knee injury anyway, but I hope there's some allowance if you can show that dependents' care is provided for.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 03:36:07 PM »
Of course, in the event of a large scale war those standards would get relaxed. I had no idea that ADHD meds were a disqualifier.

IIRC, any ADHD meds ever used to be disqualifying.

Thing is, now many of the best recruits have been prescribed ADHA meds. I am finding out that a HUGE proportion of kids in competitive private schools take ADHD meds.  These are not dumb kids and they are not discipline problems(1), just a little unfocused like many school-aged boys.  That is enough to make them uncompetitive in the more academically rigorous schools and perhpas underperform on high-stakes standardized tests.

These are the sort of boys who enlist in the armed forces instead of going into accounting or HR.  They are smart but crave stimulation.  They can get things done when they are motivated to do so.  The military can do that for them.

(1) Well, some teachers who can not deal with good-natured active/adventurous boy behavior would call it a discipline problem.  Put that boy in a class taught by a man who knows how to deal with boys and over half would likely focus enough when it counted to not need ADD meds.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 05:13:29 PM »
Actually now you cannot have tats below the elbow, below the knee or above the neckline.  Those that are already in and have such tats are having to have them documented and you cannot have any new ones in those areas.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »
Actually now you cannot have tats below the elbow, below the knee or above the neckline.  Those that are already in and have such tats are having to have them documented and you cannot have any new ones in those areas.

Without grandfathering, that would disqualify 10% of current serving military personnel.  =D

Gotta love peace time military, it's the largest and most expensive Kabuki theater in the world.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 05:39:19 PM »
Maybe I missed it in the article, but I'd like to know how many wouldn't meet those requirements during WWI, II, Korea, etc.  I'm sure the numbers are worse today, but are they *much* worse or are we stricter?

Chris

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 05:48:32 PM »
Maybe I missed it in the article, but I'd like to know how many wouldn't meet those requirements during WWI, II, Korea, etc.  I'm sure the numbers are worse today, but are they *much* worse or are we stricter?

Chris
Just looking at the bullet points under the chart I'd say that only 4 of the 11 would be things that couldn't be faked,lied about,or exaggerated.
Height/weight,test scores,tattoos,and ear perforations.Basically stuff the military would test for or be able to see in an interview.Maybe the diploma as well.Though I'd expect that in 1917 that could've been gotten around fairly easily too.
jeff w

I like onions!

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 10:45:03 PM »
There's a waver/BUMED for pretty much everything.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:50:44 PM »
Just looking at the bullet points under the chart I'd say that only 4 of the 11 would be things that couldn't be faked,lied about,or exaggerated.
Height/weight,test scores,tattoos,and ear perforations.Basically stuff the military would test for or be able to see in an interview.Maybe the diploma as well.Though I'd expect that in 1917 that could've been gotten around fairly easily too.
High school dip, oma would have been a bigger disqualifier then if it were applicable...  rampant tattoos, body modifications, and obesity never were that common until the last 10 years or so.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 01:50:04 AM »
There WAS a waver/BUMED for pretty much everything.

FTFY.

Currently, Army recruiters, to get a recruit in with any kind of waiver, have to REALLY justify it and jump through hoops, and it has to be a critical MOS (which , as of right now, there are none)
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 12:13:35 PM »

Chris
I'd say stricter today - otherwise I can just imagine how many tats would have been applied and ADHD drug prescriptions written after draft notices went out during the Vietnam War era , , ,
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 09:12:19 PM »
FTFY.

Currently, Army recruiters, to get a recruit in with any kind of waiver, have to REALLY justify it and jump through hoops, and it has to be a critical MOS (which , as of right now, there are none)

Makes sense.  My experience is from back when they were taking anyone that could fog a mirror.