Author Topic: Gun Opponent Attends Gun Show  (Read 5918 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Gun Opponent Attends Gun Show
« on: July 04, 2014, 05:59:35 PM »
About what you would expect, with an extra helping of poorly formed snark by the author, and the type of comments to the article you might expect in San Francisco. This is the Cow Palace gun show, which pops up nationally every once in a while as "the kind of gun show we want to shut down" when the antis go on anti gun show tirades.

http://blog.sfgate.com/culture/2014/07/01/gun-opponent-buys-a-ticket-to-the-gun-show/#24734101=0
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
Re: Gun Opponent Attends Gun Show
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 07:04:13 PM »
Weird,never mind the slant and the slights,that article read like it was cut off in mid-stream.Like she was setting up for a three pager and gave up.

I got the distinct impression that she was unprepared for the expierience.

Making a big deal out of a ticket takers' unfamiliarity with her payment method.-Nothing to do with gun control,why bring it up?
Making fun of a womans hair?Again,why?Just to be petty because gun shows are actually pretty boring things?Like a couple thousand guys lined up for the mens room.Quietly shuffling along not making eye contact.
The Nazi thing does remind me though.Twenty five years ago I'd bet most of the Nazi stuff was genuine.Maybe the flags and such("youth daggers") were repro.At the last show I attended I noticed that the "vintage""real"Nazi memorabilia looked awful shiny and newish.Whatever.

Must of been a big show though.They had pistols AND Glocks.

Whatever point she was trying to make didn't even irritate me.
jeff w

I like onions!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 07:35:20 PM »
It didn't manage to find much in the way of embarrassment. Poor thing.

Couldn't find the right grammar, either.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 07:47:55 PM »
Several booths sold gun-rights related t-shirts and stickers. A tone of resentment shot through the apparel available, with lots of “From My Cold Dead Hands” sensibility. T-shirt and sticker quotes included, “Shoot first, ask questions later” and “Ban Illegals, Not Guns.” There were also some 9/11 Never Forget items, which has nothing to do with guns, and pink gun-related items and tasters. Pink is for girls.

Well thank you, Captain Obvious. Golly, Ms. Spotswood, do you suppose maybe that's why they sell them? Ms. Spotswood probably can't wrap her head around the concept that a "girl" might actually shoot a firearm, and might even enjoy doing so.

Then there was this:

There was also a sign proclaiming “No Photos.” Since we’re all big fans of constitutional rights, I took photos anyway.

Obviously, Ms. Spotswood doesn't know the difference between constitutional rights and private property rights.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:16:32 PM »
Well thank you, Captain Obvious. Golly, Ms. Spotswood, do you suppose maybe that's why they sell them? Ms. Spotswood probably can't wrap her head around the concept

Whole lot of that in the article.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 09:25:11 PM »
I think her point was that gun people are into gender stereotypes. Probably patriarchy, too.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 09:26:42 PM »
I'll give her some slack on the Nazi thing. I get the historic artifacts and the war trophys appeal, but I've run accross more then one table of such at gun shows that give me the heebie jeebies.
I guess it's in the way it's presented.

She sounds dissapointed that her $13 gave her no real story. So much for the evil myth of Gun Shows being dens of iniquity.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 09:30:27 PM »
I think her point was that gun people are into gender stereotypes. Probably patriarchy, too.

Clearly she has never been in the "girl" aisle at Toys-r-Us. If anything "gun people" are not the worst offenders of gender stereotyping. At least the guys mostly welcome woman in to the club. You can't say that about other subgroups and cultures. Hell, there was stuff specifically marketed to female shooters long before the NFL started making stuff for female fans, so :P
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 10:52:24 PM »
Clearly she has never been in the "girl" aisle at Toys-r-Us. If anything "gun people" are not the worst offenders of gender stereotyping. At least the guys mostly welcome woman in to the club. You can't say that about other subgroups and cultures. Hell, there was stuff specifically marketed to female shooters long before the NFL started making stuff for female fans, so :P

Oh yes.  You have to look closely to see ANY color other than pink.  I don't know of any gun dealer that won't sell a gun of whatever color to a woman, but some women do like to buy pink.  Of course, mom bought pink tools only because that way dad wouldn't steal them and have them 'disappear' into the garage's toolboxes.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 11:23:10 PM »
Oh yes.  You have to look closely to see ANY color other than pink.  I don't know of any gun dealer that won't sell a gun of whatever color to a woman, but some women do like to buy pink.  Of course, mom bought pink tools only because that way dad wouldn't steal them and have them 'disappear' into the garage's toolboxes.

I don't mind pink or other feminen colors. My only issue with the pink guns on the market is a lot of them are as really ugly cheap shade of pink.
I think that a bunch of guys in the marketing department said "pink guns for woman!!" and that was the end to any and all thought put into the effort.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 12:44:53 AM »
My wife is as girly as they get, but she just doesn't like pink guns. She wants them to be gun-colored.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 01:31:11 AM »
Of course, mom bought pink tools only because that way dad wouldn't steal them and have them 'disappear' into the garage's toolboxes.

Krylon.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 03:40:37 AM »
What does Superman's home planet have to do with anything?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 07:27:15 AM »
My wife is as girly as they get, but she just doesn't like pink guns. She wants them to be gun-colored.

If I ever have to us a gun to save my life or the life of a loved one I don't care what color it is.  If it is a gun it is gun-colored.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 10:17:34 AM »
If I ever have to us a gun to save my life or the life of a loved one I don't care what color it is.  If it is a gun it is gun-colored.

not sure if cereal

I'm not sure what the point of this could be. It seems to imply that anyone having a preference for certain aesthetics in a firearm would be dithering about the proper color, while being attacked. ??? I can assure you that my wife is saying these things while at gun stores and gun shows, not during home invasions. As there are a myriad of self-defense guns in conventional color schemes, I don't see how it could hurt to pick one of those ahead of time.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 10:55:08 AM »
Maybe I should have said any color a gun happens to be would be gun colored.  I'm curious as to what is a gun color?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 10:57:14 AM »
Not all firearms are intended to be owned and used as weapons.  I have a range only long range rifle that I put a brightly colored laminate stock on. I just liked the colors.
Plenty of folks want non black guns. Even if a gun is planned to be used as a CCW, there's no compelling reason it had to be black or silver.  After all the owner is likely to be looking at it much more often then shooting it.

If you don't like pink (or tan, or green, or whatever) guns that's fine,  but others might want some color. Why disparage them?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 11:59:08 AM »
Maybe I should have said any color a gun happens to be would be gun colored.  I'm curious as to what is a gun color?

They usually come in black, brown, and shiny.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
"There was also a sign proclaiming “No Photos.” Since we’re all big fans of constitutional rights, I took photos anyway."

Guess she didn't bother to read the constitution that closely (or at all).  There is NOTHING unconstitutional in prohibiting recording by a private entity, on private property.
Hell, even the government can prohibit photography in certain places.  So missy, why don't you go to kings bay Georgia, or TA55 at LANL, and start taking pictures, and see how far that argument gets you.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 01:34:25 PM »
Not all firearms are intended to be owned and used as weapons.  I have a range only long range rifle that I put a brightly colored laminate stock on. I just liked the colors.
Plenty of folks want non black guns. Even if a gun is planned to be used as a CCW, there's no compelling reason it had to be black or silver.  After all the owner is likely to be looking at it much more often then shooting it.

If you don't like pink (or tan, or green, or whatever) guns that's fine,  but others might want some color. Why disparage them?

+1

The reason wood and shiny is prevalent is because historically, those were the materials present to be used, but history also provides us with firearms that are ornately engraved, plated and embellished.

We have a new material, plastic, that they didn't have, which we can add colors. There is no reason to think we shouldn't use it.
Plus, for use as defensive weapons in the civilian market, some addition colors would be useful for concelement. White and flesh tone, for example. What's the point of a white or flesh toned undergarment style holster system when you still can't wear a light colored shirt because the big black pistol is going to show through?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 01:51:10 PM »
As long is ain't Zombie Green, and doesn't involve Justin Bieber. Aside from that, I only object to stainless 1911s, two-toned pistols, and those California-style rifle stocks, where they look like something from a billiard hall.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 01:57:31 PM by fistful »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 02:03:08 PM »
As long is ain't Zombie Green, and doesn't involve Justin Bieber. Aside from that, I only object to stainless 1911s, two-toned pistols, and those California-style rifle stocks, where they look like something from a billiard hall.

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DO THAT?

Everything is going along swimmingly. A nice thread vere in politics, where people are able to agree to disagree, but nooooo, fistful has to bring up the vomit worthy Beiber grips and now somebodys gonna post a picture and this thread is worthless! Just worthless!

:P

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 02:31:07 PM »
So you're ok with this?
Or no?
jeff w

I like onions!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 02:33:43 PM »
So you're ok with this?
Or no?

Fistful should have that as his avatar for awhile. As punishment.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »
This one's the best...

>:D
jeff w

I like onions!