Author Topic: Gun seizures to prevent mass killings  (Read 978 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Gun seizures to prevent mass killings
« on: July 06, 2014, 04:25:27 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/states-gun-seizure-law-mass-killings-24443492

It is hard to prove the premise of such laws: how many mass shootings did or would gun seizure laws prevent? 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Gun seizures to prevent mass killings
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 04:40:10 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/states-gun-seizure-law-mass-killings-24443492

It is hard to prove the premise of such laws: how many mass shootings did or would gun seizure laws prevent? 

I'm getting really sick of the articles on the UCSB killings mentioning the grand total of dead and wounded without mentioning the knife and the car. The CA proposed legislation is really scary. "He/she looked at me funny/hurt my feelings/took my parking spot is about all it would take to have all your guns confiscated if that legislation goes through.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 04:46:43 PM »
There should be a mechanism to remove guns if someone is declared incompetent or issued with a temporary detention order. Of course there needs to be just as strong a mechanism to return guns and to prosecute people who lodge false accusations. Pretty commonplace at least in my world to know of a friend or family member who goes off the reservation and the family remove the guns either with consent of the temporarily wacky or by some ruse. Guy brought my dad all his guns during a divorce 30 years ago, never came back for them.

The police could start in the comments section of that article though, enough of the typical liberal wishing death on the opposition commentators. Almost makes you wonder what folks with that kind of anger issues would do if we did get rid of all our guns.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 04:51:51 PM »
"Michael Lawlor, Connecticut's undersecretary for criminal justice planning and policy, believes the state's gun seizure law could have prevented the killings of 20 first-graders and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School in December 2012, if police had been made aware that gunman Adam Lanza had mental health problems and access to his mother's legally owned guns."

Interesting.
Define access.
So one adult can have their personal property,even that secured and protected,confiscated because a fruitloop has access-whatever that means.
I guess that if my neighbor and his wife argue loudly enough to attract the cops my guns could be confiscated.I mean hey,they've been over and they both know where my safe is.
Makes sense.I'm all for it.
jeff w

I like onions!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 05:10:06 PM »
There should be a mechanism to remove guns if someone is declared incompetent or issued with a temporary detention order.

There is, under federal law and under the laws of many (most? all?) states.

Of course there needs to be just as strong a mechanism to return guns and to prosecute people who lodge false accusations.

And that's the component that seems to be missing all too often. Especially the prosecution of those who falsely use protective orders as an instrument of vengeance.

Onions, Michael Lawlor is a former state legislator. He as rabidly Democratic, rabidly anti-gun, and rabidly anti-common sense. He is now a top aide to the governor because he shares the governor's belief in the Obama approach -- if the legislature won't pass a law, we'll just do it anyway.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:13:08 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 07:39:05 PM »
Lawler has also been described as a card carrying Marxist.  Don't know if that's true or not, but I have read it in several different articles.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 07:40:51 PM »
A nationwide gun confiscation program would lead to mass shootings of politicians and anyone who tried to enforce it. Can't turn up the heat to fast without the frog noticing, and policritters know that.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 07:58:57 PM »

Gun seizures to prevent mass killings

We take them from the government?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 08:27:47 PM »
We take them from the government?

Now you're on to something.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 08:59:56 PM »
I'm getting really sick of the articles on the UCSB killings mentioning the grand total of dead and wounded without mentioning the knife and the car. The CA proposed legislation is really scary. "He/she looked at me funny/hurt my feelings/took my parking spot is about all it would take to have all your guns confiscated if that legislation goes through.

Go east young man, go East.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 11:04:37 PM »
Go east young man, go East.

Or north.  West if you like boats, or South if you like salsa.
Formerly sumpnz