Author Topic: Websites That Refresh Automatically  (Read 542 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Websites That Refresh Automatically
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:06:41 PM »
Okay, I'm going bonkers over this, and I can't find a Chrome extension that purports to prevent it (there is one, but it has terrible reviews).

Lately, many websites that I visit frequently (imgur.com, thr.org) are displaying ads, either static pictures or Flash, that prompt the browser to refresh the page. It is unnoticeable until I use my preferred method of navigation to return to the previous page: backspace. However, since the page refreshed on me, my browser history is full of one or more iterations of the site, and the backspace or back arrow essentially does nothing. Disabling JavaScript seems to work, but it also disables some of the content that I want to see. The Onion's site refreshed the page almost twenty times during a 1:30m video, but with Java disabled I wouldn't have been able to watch it at all.

I know the easiest solution is to open every link in a new tab, but this has hacked me off enough to ask for help. I want my backspace to work, damn it!
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Websites That Refresh Automatically
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »
If it's ads causing it you could use something like ad blocker to keep them from coming up to begin with.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 11:43:59 PM »
The Drudge Report is especially bad about this, as it is bad about everything else, tech-wise.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 12:17:01 AM »
Firefox with ad blocker and ghostly.  It's like you were  never there.  Also, dump java.  far too many holes.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 12:59:50 AM »
The Drudge Report is especially bad about this, as it is bad about everything else, tech-wise.
It refreshes, but I have never noticed that the page loads show up in the history or interfere with the back button.