Author Topic: Has RevDisc become redundant?  (Read 669 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Has RevDisc become redundant?
« on: July 26, 2014, 11:43:24 PM »
http://www.wired.com/2014/07/keyme-let-me-break-in/

What I didn’t tell my neighbor was that I spent about 30 seconds in the stairwell scanning his keys with software that would let me reproduce them with no specialized skills whatsoever. The iPhone app I used wasn’t intended for anything so nefarious: KeyMe was designed to let anyone photograph their keys and upload them to the company’s servers. From there, they can be 3-D printed and mail-ordered in a variety of novelty shapes, from a bottle opener to Kanye West’s head. Or they can be cut from blanks at one of KeyMe’s five kiosks in the New York City area.

KeyMe says it will even duplicate keys marked “do not duplicate,” including some high-security keys sold by Medeco, Mul-T-lock and Schlage. Parking valets suddenly require a ludicrous level of trust: KeyMe already allows some car keys to be scanned and mail-ordered; KeysDuplicated says that feature is on the way.

New corrections officers are literally hounded about keeping the Folger-Adams keys that work the doors in their pocket or in a special key case, and to never hold the key for more than 2-3 seconds before putting it into/pulling it out of the lock.  This, in the same system that uses inmates as locksmiths. :facepalm:  Keys came in sets of three: one in ue, one in the emergency key locker, and one in the master key locker.  They were swapped around every month, and very three months the institutional locksmith (an inmate, remember?) would compare all three to see if there was uneven wear. :facepalm: [tinfoil]

My Drill Instructor (and Gunny Hartman, too) was correct when he said locks only keep honest people honest.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Has RevDisc become redundant?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 03:17:42 AM »
Jesus H Christ.  Private Pyle, why is your foot locker unlocked?

Sir, I don't know, SIR.

Private Pyle, IF THERE IS ONE THING IN THIS WORLD THAT I HATE IT IS AN UNLOCKED FOOTLOCKER.  You know that don't you.

Sir, yes Sir.

If it wasn't for dickheads like you there wouldn't be any thievery in this world!  Would there?

Sir, no Sir!

GET DOWN!

Well, now, let's just see if there's anything missing! 

Holy Jesus!  What is that!?  WHAT THE *expletive deleted*ck IS THAT??  WHAT IS THAT PRIVATE PYLE?

SIR, a jelly donut, SIR.
Formerly sumpnz

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Has RevDisc become redundant?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 08:32:39 AM »
http://www.revdisk.org/storage/3DPrinting-KeyDecodingandDuplicationSchlage.pdf

Nothing new, but the natural progression of things. Keys are just numbers. If you know the schema for the type of key and know the numeric value of the key combination, you can make a key from scratch. There is nothing magical about it. The pins in the lock, keyway pattern and the height of the key are standardized. Have to be for mass manufacture. In the above presentation, folks worked out the math to generate 3D printing files for keys. You decode a key for the combination 31337, slap it into the script, and it will turn out a 3D printing file that will make an exact duplicate key.

It has always been possible to duplicate keys. Tis why I have told folks not to let their keys be photographed for many years. Heck, with some practice, you can decode a key just looking at it. No surprise, technology moves ahead and makes something easier.

New corrections officers are literally hounded about keeping the Folger-Adams keys that work the doors in their pocket or in a special key case, and to never hold the key for more than 2-3 seconds before putting it into/pulling it out of the lock.  This, in the same system that uses inmates as locksmiths. :facepalm:  Keys came in sets of three: one in ue, one in the emergency key locker, and one in the master key locker.  They were swapped around every month, and very three months the institutional locksmith (an inmate, remember?) would compare all three to see if there was uneven wear. :facepalm: [tinfoil]

Actually, very good procedure. It limits the amount of time someone can manually decode the key.

The uneven wear is because the easiest way of making a copy of a key by hand is to put material behind the key, and filing it down to match. If not done very carefully, it does cause wear
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:01:37 AM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.