Author Topic: Coming to a ski resort near you Summer 2016  (Read 1985 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Coming to a ski resort near you Summer 2016
« on: July 30, 2014, 09:15:28 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esFmUaz55VA#t=188

With a sign: "You have to be this stupid to ride."

I've left a perfectly good aircraft before it had returned to earth, but at least I still had some breath left after screaming like a little girl till I was back on the ground.  I might be too frozen with fear/panic/exhiliration to draw enough breaths to make it all the way to the end of that.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Coming to a ski resort near you Summer 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:30:08 AM »
Wasn't a pro wingsuiter recently rendered inert when he kinda misjudged where the mountain was?

Brad
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:44:24 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:39:49 AM »
I can't imagine the stones it'd take to fly thru that hole.
WOW!
jeff w

I like onions!

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 09:49:53 AM »
Looks like fantastic fun to me!
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »
Wasn't a pro paraglider recently rendered inert when he kinda misjudged where the mountain was?

Brad

I know a wingsuit guy splattered/bisected himself on the superstructure of a bridge a few years back.

And one of the most famous guys/original pioneers of the sport "landed" on a mountainside without a chute deployment, and busted up his legs badly, but he's back at it again. He was jumping with the guy who hit the bridge when that happened.
I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 11:09:25 AM »
WOW!

I was thinking the same thing. Just watching the video left me feeling queasy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 02:03:19 PM »

Some of the footage wasn't that bad at all. Plenty of clearance to pull the cord. Others... Not so much.

Whatever floats your boat, but some of those folks WILL die because the variables ensure it.  Eating a bird or large insect would be enough to disrupt your flight, and put you into the dirt because you could twitch. I wish them luck, and hope the nanny state folks don't get it banned.

If I had say, inoperable cancer, I'd give it a go. Otherwise, not.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 02:31:03 PM »
WOW!

That *expletive deleted*it is BadA$$!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 03:30:25 PM »
Adrenaline junkies find new junk.

Looks like it would be cool, but the margin for error is very small and you had better know what you are doing.  Not to mention that it looked like some of those guys had a pre-arranged route that was thoroughly scouted out ahead of time.  I can see some idiots would not understand that.  At a couple of those points in the video, it appeared that pulling the chute would be deadly.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 07:20:49 PM »
Adrenaline junkies find new junk.

Looks like it would be cool, but the margin for error is very small and you had better know what you are doing.  Not to mention that it looked like some of those guys had a pre-arranged route that was thoroughly scouted out ahead of time.  I can see some idiots would not understand that.  At a couple of those points in the video, it appeared that pulling the chute would be deadly.

This.  Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.  THose guys probably spent weeks or months planning those couple minute flights.  Yes, the margin for error is low but they eliminate all the variables they can.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 07:41:07 PM »
As someone who can't balance on a pair of skis even on perfectly horizontal ground, and does even worse as soon as it goes even the slightest downhill, this looks a million times safer than skiing.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 07:44:14 PM »
Just nucking futs!

Although that is about as close to flying as a human can get.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 09:41:50 PM »
Just nucking futs!

For all values of "Flying is just falling forward faster than you are falling down."

Which pretty much covers "flying".

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 10:02:17 PM »
Sometimes it all works out and looks good........

Other times it doesn't work so well and it makes you cringe!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikR2w5Vg8aA

I feel cheated. By the time they started doing this type of stuff and flipping motorcycles in motocross I was too old to consider it. If I were a mere 40 years younger I would be all over this type of stuff. But all I ever got to do was skydive and hang glide. :(

bob

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 11:49:55 PM »
That goes on the bucket list as the last item.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 01:22:59 AM »
Just nucking futs!

That thought occurred to me, and I've always harbored a wish to be able to fly. But "flying" to me includes an ability to go UP when desired, whereas these wing suits just turn you into a human glider with no upward component that I could see.

I wonder what the sink rate is for a wing suit flyer?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 01:30:52 AM »
I am going with a glide ratio of ~2:1(2 fwd, 1 down), which is why you still need a really tall mountain or a flying machine to launch from.

bob

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 05:44:10 AM »

Other times it doesn't work so well and it makes you cringe!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikR2w5Vg8aA

bob

That was Jeb Corliss getting it wrong. I was most impressed by his higher functioning under extreme stress, after he hit he managed to regain attitude and "fly" to an area where he could pull his chute. Pulling after the hit would have just planted him in more rockpile. When interviewed he says he briefly considered just crashing and ending it all. That hit broke nearly everything in his pelvis and put him in a wheelchair for 6 months.

All the people in those videos have several thousand jumps logged and I doubt there is anything that is not pre-planned. Your glideslope of funny looking brick is pre-set so lots of scouting needs to be done to locate corresponding slope in the terrain.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 06:41:13 PM »
Learning curve can go vertical fast
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I