Author Topic: Hard drive repair  (Read 688 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Hard drive repair
« on: August 07, 2014, 09:22:17 AM »
Last week a client told me that a shop machine went down hard and that apparently the operators had been saving scripts locally to the machine instead of to the backed-up network drives.  We replaced the hard drive and got the machine back up and running from a backup, but we still had scripts that they needed to recover, so I took their external drive to work on.  Windows 7 wouldn't recognize the drive in an external chassis at all.  I tried the standbys: freezing the drive, rapping it gently on the desk while it was spinning.  No dice.  The drive would spin, click, spin, click, spin, click and then shut down, never recognized by the OS. 

This client doesn't have the budget for a Level 3 clean-room repair, but I told them I'd source another drive and see if we could do a hardware swap to get it running again.  Initially I wanted to try a PCB swap, but the version I got was slightly different and so that didn't help.  For my entire computer-interested life I've been told that hard drives are magical things that will, if ever opened outside a clean room, immediately become scrap.  Of course I've taken apart my share of hard drives in search of strong magnets, but only on drives that had failed and only after I was sure that it was okay to destroy it.  I finally proved to myself that this fear wasn't entirely accurate.

We talked about swapping platters, but after tinkering a bit I figured I'd try a head swap instead.  First I took the cover off the replacement drive and lay it sideways over the open drive to try to protect the platters.  With the head parked, I cut some rings of CAT5 insulation and inserted the loops between the actuator arms to gently hold the heads apart.  I took off the top magnet that covers the voice coil and removed the stop pin to move the actuator where it would clear the platters.  A few more screws were removed to allow the actuator to be removed.  I replaced the cover and repeated the procedure on the dead drive, swapping the old actuator and head assembly with the new one.

Once I plugged the drive into the external chassis I started to make some progress, but Windows 7 couldn't load the primary data partition - probably due to some corruption.  I fired up a Linux recovery environment and TestDisk was able to navigate the partition and copy the necessary data onto a good drive.

Lessons learned:
1. Ensure the replacement drive PCB is the exact same version as the one I'm replacing.  Same drive model number is not sufficient.  The new PCB wouldn't work on the old drive at all, and if the problem had been the PCB or a component on it then I'm not sure I could have completed the repair.
2. If I'm going to do this sort of thing regularly, build a clean glovebox with a clear plastic bin, a fan, air filters and some rubber gloves.
3. I need a wider selection of torx bits.  I think I could have done a platter swap if I hadn't stripped out one of the platter retaining ring screws because a bit was slightly too small.
4. I need to keep more plastic tools around.  Incidentally, a titanium spork did help when I was working around the magnets.
5. Modern drives are more robust than I had thought.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Hard drive repair
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
Sounds like a good side business.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 10:18:46 AM »
Last week a client told me that a shop machine went down hard and that apparently the operators had been saving scripts locally to the machine instead of to the backed-up network drives.  We replaced the hard drive and got the machine back up and running from a backup, but we still had scripts that they needed to recover, so I took their external drive to work on.

Back in the tape drive days, it was amazing how many tape drives we sold to law offices and accounting firms after they got the bill for me spending a few hours beating on their old drive with various things to recover some irreplaceable file.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 11:47:30 AM »
They got <delete>ing lucky.

I'd have tried my Linuxy magic, and if that didn't work the choice is "Ontrack, two grand" or "SOL".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 11:50:49 AM »
For my entire computer-interested life I've been told that hard drives are magical things that will, if ever opened outside a clean room, immediately become scrap.  Of course I've taken apart my share of hard drives in search of strong magnets,

"Strange beliefs of techs"

You hear all kind of odd things.  LIke you can't have a magnet anywhere near (despite the very strong magnet that, as you note, is inside).
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 01:11:08 PM »
I'd have tried my Linuxy magic, and if that didn't work the choice is "Ontrack, two grand" or "SOL".

OnTrack wasn't even an option back then...or at least not one that anyone knew about.  By the time the boss accounted for my 4-6 hours of overtime, plus (effectively overpaid comp time) PTO for me to sleep in a couple hours the next morning, after being in the shop well past midnight, I suspect they were paying about as much per drive as sending them in.

(He was generous with my $10/hr base and $15/hr OT when he could bill it at $150+/hr and the client would pay happily.  I was fresh from high school and minimum was still under $5 at the time, so I didn't complain about the markup.  Plus he always had good beer at his house right behind the shop when the job was done, and made sure I never ran out of cigs while I was working late.  That last probably cost him as much as my paycheck, since it was try something, start the part that doesn't need to be watched for a couple minutes, go out for a smoke, lather, rinse, repeat until something works.)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 02:43:08 PM »
Good on you!  

I got to be a hero once when the only readily-available source* for some old data was on 5-1/4" floppies left by a retiree.  I broke out an ancient Acer DOS machine at home and was able to print the information on a dot-matrix printer.

Back-patting ensued.  

(Some of it by myself.)  

Terry

* Imagine the archives in the final scene of "Raiders of the Lost Ark."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 02:46:35 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 03:08:57 PM »
I got to be a hero once when the only readily-available source* for some old data was on 5-1/4" floppies left by a retiree.  I broke out an ancient Acer DOS machine at home and was able to print the information on a dot-matrix printer.

Good idea; I need to find a USB-FDD adapter so I can store some DOCX files that way  =D

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 09:15:04 PM »
KD5NRH....

For your amusement....

When I went from my Apple 2e to a PC years ago, I used a program called Procomm on both machines for my text file transfers, telephone modem on the Apple to telephone modem on the PC.  I used an ordinary telephone RJ-11 cable directly between the two machines for the transfer.

Took forever, on 1200 Baud modems, but I got my files transferred.

Biggest problem was the IBM 8X3 filename system.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:20:52 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 10:16:06 PM »
I used a program called Procomm ...

So, now I'm having nostalgic flashbacks of Procomm Plus, BBSs, and U.S. Robotics.  Xeroxed lists of local BBSs, handed out at Radio Shack all under-the-counter-like.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.