Author Topic: That's Racist!  (Read 831 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
That's Racist!
« on: August 10, 2014, 11:48:30 AM »
Oh, boo hoo. Here I am driving a taxi in America and these people expect me to speak English.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/08/08/sacramento-taxi-drivers-say-english-test-requirement-is-setting-them-up-for-failure/

Here we go again. Does anyone think they could drive  cab in Mexico City without being able to speak Spanish? Or in Copenhagen without being able to speak Danish, Munich without speaking German, Rome without speaking Italian, or Beirut without speaking Lebanese? What's the matter with these people? And how did they get licensed to drive cabs in the first place if they can't speak English.

“I want to talk to people who’ve taken the test and get feedback from them on what was difficult, what didn’t make sense and then we can modify the tests,” Wasson said.

After three failures, the city computer kicks the driver out of the system, but Wasson says they’ll likely give the driver another chance.

In other words, "This time we really mean it ... unless we don't."

We should have made English the official language of government in the U.S. decades ago, when we had an outside chance of doing to. I'm sure it's too late now.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: That's Racist!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 11:56:46 AM »
In reality an overseas worker in any hospitality business is going to go a lot farther if they know about 6 languages.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 12:29:07 PM »
In reality an overseas worker in any hospitality business is going to go a lot farther if they know about 6 languages.

Tha sin ceart  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 05:26:20 PM »
Ahhh, but most of "overseas" is a tightly bound geographic unity.  We're only bound by Canada and Mexico.

I speak Canadian pretty well, and have a smattering of Mexican .  Still, it irks me that one has a choice of having telephone menus come at you in English or Mexican:  "Press  1 for English, 2 for Mexican."

Fortunately, none of us have to learn Atlantic or Pacific for the other two borders...

"Press 1 for English, 2 for Mexican, 3 for Canadian, 4 for Atlantic, 5 for Pacific."

Russia and China are both bordered by 14 other countries...

"Press 1 for Russian..."

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 05:35:53 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 05:56:23 PM »
Plus Sadam when he was still alive and running Iraq made it a requirement for his citizens attending college to learn English.  He hated the West with a passion but was smart enough to know that the only way to get ahead in the world of business was to know English.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 10:39:34 AM »
English is still the lingua franca of the world.  Except in the US . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
I speak Canadian pretty well, and have a smattering of Mexican .  Still, it irks me that one has a choice of having telephone menus come at you in English or Mexican:  "Press  1 for English, 2 for Mexican."

I'm far more annoyed by the ones that should know, or at least retain the info after the first time; the cell phone payment line that already knows who's calling when I call from the served cell phone, and ATMs.  IIRC, most ATMs anywhere else in the world have the language either encoded on the card or attached to the other account info, specifically so they don't have to have some huge list of languages to pick from.