Author Topic: oil changes for garage queens  (Read 1477 times)

zahc

• friend
oil changes for garage queens
« on: August 11, 2014, 02:30:24 PM »
I have a convertible that I use only for my short commute, and only on nice days. I run mobil 1 which is supposedly good for like 10000 miles, but I only put 1500 miles on the car last year. Should I be changing my oil every year whether it needs it or not? It seems like a waste of expensive oil.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: oil changes for garage queens
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 02:35:10 PM »
I have a similar situation with a Crossfire coupe. I changed my Mobil 1 and filter after 3 years and 3000 miles. I hesitated to do it even then. I see no problem if its garaged and only driven occasionally.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 02:44:48 PM »
Do you drive it in a lot of stop and go traffic? Do you run it hard at times?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 02:58:55 PM »
Do you drive it in a lot of stop and go traffic? Do you run it hard at times?

Always and always. I like to get it good and hot each trip.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 03:35:10 PM »
Always and always. I like to get it good and hot each trip.

Then I would change it once a year because of the acids built up in the crank case associated with internal combustion engines.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 03:38:09 PM »
Then I would change it once a year because of the acids built up in the crank case associated with internal combustion engines.

Ayup.  Sometimes a little use is as bad, if not worse, than driving the wheels off.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »
Could always drop $20 or $30 once on an oil analysis (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/). At the 1-year mark send a sample off to Blackstone to get analyzed, and they can tell you whether you ought to be replacing it then, or whether you could push it longer.

Then you'll know one way or another the next year (assuming nothing changes about how the car is running or being used). I did this to see if I was safe moving to a 15K oil-change interval with 15K-guaranteed Mobil 1 synthetic on my 2001 Maxima.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 04:14:54 PM »
Could always drop $20 or $30 once on an oil analysis (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/). At the 1-year mark send a sample off to Blackstone to get analyzed, and they can tell you whether you ought to be replacing it then, or whether you could push it longer.

Then you'll know one way or another the next year (assuming nothing changes about how the car is running or being used). I did this to see if I was safe moving to a 15K oil-change interval with 15K-guaranteed Mobil 1 synthetic on my 2001 Maxima.

So, what were the results?
--Tallpine

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 04:22:34 PM »
You need to change the air in the tires, too.  It gets stale just sitting around.   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 04:25:17 PM »
What does the owners manual indicate?It was written by the folks that designed and built the thing-not a bunch of online opinions. ;/

$30-$35/year for an oil change doesn't seem like a lot to me.
jeff w

I like onions!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 06:39:44 PM »
So, what were the results?

Don't remember the specific numbers (moisture, amount of remaining detergents/additives, metal presence, etc.) but the gist was that for my vehicle at the time, 15K intervals shouldn't be a problem. Though I often hit 1 year before I hit 15K miles, so I change then. I haven't gotten an analysis done at one year to see if I could go more than that time-wise (things like moisture, acids, etc., are what I'd be concerned with past 1 year).

Another vote in for 1 oil change/year being cheap insurance if you don't hit the mileage limit.

What does the owners manual indicate?It was written by the folks that designed and built the thing-not a bunch of online opinions. ;/

It was also written with whatever type of oil the car shipped with in mind. If the car shipped with conventional and the owner has switched to synthetic, the interval is going to be longer. My van shipped with synthetic, and the manual specifies synthetic and 10K intervals, which I stick to.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 06:52:49 PM »
I have a convertible that I use only for my short commute, and only on nice days. I run mobil 1 which is supposedly good for like 10000 miles, but I only put 1500 miles on the car last year. Should I be changing my oil every year whether it needs it or not? It seems like a waste of expensive oil.

Yes, you should. The problem is that a few short runs over a long period of time allows acids to build up in the oil without the longer run periods to burn them out of the oil.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »
Yes you should change the oil yearly.

And you really ought to run the car more. Sitting is not good for a vehicle at all.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »
Change it once a year, IMO. Even if the oil looks fine, stuff builds up in it and the conditioners and such break down.

Maybe it can go longer, maybe it can't, why find out the hard way?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 09:36:54 PM »
Don't remember the specific numbers (moisture, amount of remaining detergents/additives, metal presence, etc.) but the gist was that for my vehicle at the time, 15K intervals shouldn't be a problem. Though I often hit 1 year before I hit 15K miles, so I change then. I haven't gotten an analysis done at one year to see if I could go more than that time-wise (things like moisture, acids, etc., are what I'd be concerned with past 1 year).

Another vote in for 1 oil change/year being cheap insurance if you don't hit the mileage limit.

It was also written with whatever type of oil the car shipped with in mind. If the car shipped with conventional and the owner has switched to synthetic, the interval is going to be longer. My van shipped with synthetic, and the manual specifies synthetic and 10K intervals, which I stick to.

From here:https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Recommended_Oil_Change_Intervals.aspx

Recommended Oil Change Intervals for Mobilâ„¢ Motor Oils
You state that your oils are for 5,000, 15,000 miles, but what are the months before a change is due?
-- Billie Baskett, Robinson, TX

Answer: 
We recommend you follow the oil and filter change frequencies shown in your owner's manual. Generally, this means changing your oil every six months when using Mobil Superâ„¢, Mobil Super High Mileage and Mobil Super Synthetic motor oils, and every year when using Mobil 1â„¢ or Mobil 1 Extended Performance synthetic oils.

jeff w

I like onions!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 09:43:38 PM »
I do six months if i havent met the mileage yet.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 09:45:08 PM »
Maybe it can go longer, maybe it can't, why find out the hard way?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, despite the fact that it works against my profession...

Oil is dirt cheap, engines are not.

As well as...

Grease is cheap, parts are not.

Although your mechanic will love you, please don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 09:58:50 PM »
I do six months if i havent met the mileage yet.

I do the same, I drive my truck less than 8k a year, so I change my oil biannually.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 12:14:33 AM »
For such infrequent use, minimum an oil change annually regardless of low miles.  I'd suggest you find excuses to drive it more.  Few things worse for an engine than sitting, other than sitting after a short drive.  Once the oil film drains any exposed metals are subject to corrosion.  Plus the combustion by products that get in the oil will eventually start etching the metals.
Formerly sumpnz