Author Topic: Robin Williams found dead.  (Read 3328 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

agricola

• friend
Re: Robin Williams found dead.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:15:06 PM »
Awful news. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 07:16:25 PM »
Damn
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:22:41 PM »
Saw that a few minutes ago, one of the few actors my wife actually likes. Least on FoxNews they were more or less saying without saying it was suicide. Man had his demons for a long time between alcohol and depression, hope his rest is a peaceful one.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:25:34 PM »
Sad. =(
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:25:59 PM »
Orson has called Mork home to Ork.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 07:27:57 PM »
That sucks.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 07:28:40 PM »
Crap, that sucks. Lots of talent lost  =(
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 07:30:52 PM »
Orson has called Mork home to Ork.

Boulder, CO will be a little less weird...  :'(

Grew up watching and laughing over his comedic talent, but the roles that stick most in my mind were his non-comedy ones.

Law & Order: SVU - Authority

What Dreams May Come
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 08:17:57 PM »
That's a bit of a shock. He was a talented guy.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 08:24:50 PM »
I hope he's at peace.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Lee

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 08:27:45 PM »
I thought this was going to be a joke...then ny wife walked in and told me about it right as I was opening this. That's a damn shame. =(

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 08:39:23 PM »
Stolen From a Friend

"Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.”
R.I.P Robin Williams
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 10:55:30 PM »
T.S. Garp, you will be missed.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 11:05:17 PM »
Dammit. I grew up watching him. I remember seeing him play Mork on Happy Days when I was a kid, then on Mork & Mindy. Loved his standup, and he made several really good movies.

My condolences to his loved ones.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 11:18:05 PM »
Too young for Mork.  Some good movies, not recently.  I do recall seeing a standup routine of his.  It wasn't routine. Seems he would just show up and start talking about stuff and it was funny.  No pre planned jokes.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 11:58:21 PM »
Sad.  Dude had wild talent, million$, fame, and the adoration of countless fans. 

But without his (mental) health, it was all worth nothing.

I took my daughter out to eat and the restaurant had CNN on.  45minutes nonstop picking at RW's corpse. 
1. I am not missing anything by not having cable.
2. Enough, already.  Stop dancing in the man's blood for ratings for a few minutes each hour.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 12:03:51 AM »
Too young for Mork.  Some good movies, not recently.  I do recall seeing a standup routine of his.  It wasn't routine. Seems he would just show up and start talking about stuff and it was funny.  No pre planned jokes.

People who knew him are saying (on Fox News) he was "on" all the time.  Some comedians come in and they go on stage, then they "switch on their act."   When through, they go back.
Robin Williams they say was going from the start.  People say he truly enjoyed entertaining people and making them laugh.   
This is sad.   I hope he's happier where is is now than where he was ...... :'(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 12:06:54 AM »
Stolen From a Friend

"Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.”
R.I.P Robin Williams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ael2ojGGUok

Depression is a terrible thing. A sad day for his family and all those he brought joy to over the years.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 12:13:15 AM »
I believe Robin Williams could have made a dead person laugh, he was that talented.  The world lost a very talented person today, and we will miss him.  Rest in Peace, Mr. Williams.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 12:18:35 AM »
One of my favorite Williams bits: the history of golf (some NSFW language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4

R.I.P.
"The slide rule is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."
                     - Darth Calculus

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 06:54:32 AM »
Heard this morning that there are 6 movies in the can that he shot that are yet to be released, one of which is Night at the Museum 3.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »
For those who don't know, Williams learned a lot from Jonathan Winters. Williams delivery and improvisational style often mimicked Winters. Both were alcoholics, and both had issues with depression. Winters was also bipolar, and heard voices in his head, which he sometimes incorporated into his routines.

Winters was lucky enough to live to 87, though.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 11:06:15 AM »
T.S. Garp, you will be missed.

Indeed. Williams was proof of my notion that comedians make better dramatic actors than the reverse.

His personal issues aside, he touched and brightened many lives with his body of work.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 11:12:21 AM »
Too bad - apparently he was looking at the problem instead of looking past the problem to a solution.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin