Author Topic: Stellar journalism  (Read 552 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Stellar journalism
« on: August 15, 2014, 11:29:35 PM »
In this one, a Women's Studies prof makes a huge, obvious subtraction error in his first paragraph. Which may help explain his career choice. Aside from that, he struggles so with the concept of the coherent sentence, that I'm not sure what he's trying to say.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinion/columns/a-revolt-against-violence/article_a9a04178-4d97-57ec-a25a-448a7fb2f66a.html

And here we have another sad spectacle of a journo trying to write about guns; with predictable results.

Saddle Brook Police Chief Robert Kugler said police removed approximately 300 pounds of black gun powder [for killing black people, obviously] from the basement of Lintner’s home on Washington Street. With the assistance of the Bergen County Sheriff’s Department, they also removed nearly 200 long and short firearms [ :rofl:] from five large gun vaults in the home, Kugler said, adding that tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition were also taken. [tens of thousands!]

In the next paragraph, they add the small detail that a violent crime was committed. His wife stabbed him in the neck. Apparently, that was less interesting than his having a few hundred pounds of gunpowder (ten times the legal limit), and a few hundred guns. This despite the fact that "the couple has lived quietly — 'You'd never know that guy was there,' one neighbor said. 'There is never any commotion in that house.'"

http://www.northjersey.com/news/police-detail-extent-of-arsenal-at-apparent-gun-enthusiast-s-saddle-brook-home-1.1064936#sthash.9pNnyqbU.dpuf
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Stellar journalism
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 12:08:45 AM »
I hate to imagine what the local journalists urinalists would make of my stash. =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 12:10:05 AM »
As the ministers prayed — and I reflected on how many I had attended over the last two years — this constant refrain for “peace” and “justice” was starting to feel like a way to shut up the screaming parents and loved ones of those afflicted, silence the radical youth most directly impacted by these violences, and to privilege white desires for black people to always appear civil while reacting to uncivil manner.

This sounds a lot like he thinks peace and justice are not something to be sought after.

Strange ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 05:36:29 AM »
Wrong thread.  Sorry.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.