Author Topic: How accurate is cell phone "pinging"  (Read 4460 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: How accurate is cell phone "pinging"
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 07:51:40 PM »
I get a mixed bag with family located. It's funny since a couple hundred yards puts me in another county across the river 20 driving miles away

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 07:55:11 PM »
Just for kicks, I activated Where's My Droid six times just now while sitting at my desk (so GPS is indoors and ten feet from the nearest window). Best I got was too close to accurately measure with the resolution image I was using, but probably +-3'. From where my lat/long point was on my roof, it looked like it was right over my desk. Worst I got was ~40' away, which put my phone in a neighbor's living room. The GPS was posting +-16' accuracy through all samples.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 08:38:02 PM »
Did you have your phone wifi connected to your home network?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 09:50:16 PM »
Did you have your phone wifi connected to your home network?

It was. I just did another half dozen with WiFi off and 4G on and the range was ~18-34' from where I was sitting. GPS was posting the same +-16' accuracy. Two of them put me somewhere in my place, four of them were in the neighbor's.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2014, 12:52:22 AM »
I gather that the neighboring county department, where the alleged theft allegedly occurred, was going by the "find my iPhone" app, which they said is typically accurate. However, they said that the location had moved and as of 2 hours after my visit, it was now a block to the north from me.

So the thief might have been walking up the sidewalk in front of your residence when they pinged it.

Or ... Even the find-my-phone app relies on GPS. I have my own stories about how accurate GPS isn't. The one most appropriate here is theone where I was in the driveway on a Saturday, working on a Jeep, when a ratty old Ford pickup came roaring down the driveway. A very scruffy looking guy got out, and I was already in Condition Orange because I wasn't expecting anyone, and nobody ever just drops in on me.

But, I tried to be polite, so I asked if I could help him. "I'm here to cut the trees," he said.

"What trees?" (In fact, I had several trees that had suffered serious damage in a recent storm, but I had already hired someone to take them down.)

"You know, the trees you hired me to cut down."

So much for being polite. "I don't have any idea what you're talking about or who you are. I haven't ever seen you or talked to you before and I certainly haven't hired you to cut any trees. So what's the deal?"

At this point he started mumbling about his GPS said this was where he was supposed to be. So I asked what the address was he was looking for. It not only wasn't my house, it wasn't even on my street. The house he was looking for was on the next street over, 3/4 of a mile away. The funny part is that my wife's GPS shows us on that street when we're parked in the driveway.

Don't trust 'em.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2014, 08:56:06 AM »
That is probably a nav database error, not a GPS error.  I bet someone linked the street name to the wrong lat/long.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 10:58:57 AM »
That is probably a nav database error, not a GPS error.  I bet someone linked the street name to the wrong lat/long.

Which makes it all better  :lol:

Earl, this looks like a mountainside but the GPS says there is a runway here...
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2014, 11:05:35 AM »
D.M.S. or D.DDDD tis but a few furlongs.
7-11 was a part time job.

• friends
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2014, 01:45:41 PM »
Way back when they first released the tiger database there was this mysterious mountain off the coat of the Carolina's

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2014, 02:04:52 PM »
Way back when they first released the tiger database there was this mysterious mountain off the coat of the Carolina's

I was one of the suckers guys that was putting the original GEODAS bathymetry into GIS useable grid and TIN files back in the day. There were a good number of coords with transposed numbers, especially from the lead line sinker days (manual transfer of hardcopy data to digital) that threw some decent "below sea level" points onto the mainland, and additionally created a neat undersea pinnacle off the CA coast that didn't actually exist. I don't think there's a worse job in the sciences than coordinate data QA/QC. It's a popular job to give to interns. :)

• friends
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 02:27:13 PM »
We were real excited playing with the data. It spawned new jobs

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2014, 02:42:20 PM »
Oddly enough, during the homestead boom about a hundred years ago it became a big thing to split up counties.  Then all the population left  ;/
Most people should just stay inside city limits: "I'm right between Wendy's and Taco Bell"

Which ends up being as useless as "between Walgreens and CVS,"  "between Lowes and Home Depot," etc.  Yet another reason businesses should try going to underserved markets instead of just building right next door to their chief competitor and hoping for the best.

In town, block numbers are the easiest thing to work with, but it's annoying how many people don't notice they're on the street signs, and how many cities have stopped bothering to put them there because of that.  It's like the knucklehead we had a couple years ago that called in a detailed vehicle description on a strongly suspected DUI, right down to the exact text of three bumper stickers, the feed store name on the sacks in the bed of the truck and the dealer nameplate, but no plate number.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2014, 02:54:19 PM »
Either way, multiple pings of a stationary phone will tend to average out pretty darn accurate.

Once, while chatting with a woman on FB who had location turned on and didn't seem concerned about it at all because she was sure it would only narrow it down to the ~500 unit apartment complex, I averaged out the last dozen or so messages, then found the online floor plans for her apartment complex, overlaid that onto the Google satellite view, and told her which room she was in and what she could see out the nearest window.  She now remembers to make sure location is turned off.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 08:23:52 AM »
Which ends up being as useless as "between Walgreens and CVS,"  "between Lowes and Home Depot," etc. 

What a coincidence!! That's exactly where I live!!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 08:40:53 AM »
What a coincidence!! That's exactly where I live!!

Same here. I've got a Lowe's 13 miles north and a Home Depot 16 miles south.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2014, 07:50:14 AM »
Same here. I've got a Lowe's 13 miles north and a Home Depot 16 miles south.

Piker.  I'm at 5700 feet and 4400 feet.   =D
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.