Author Topic: Celebrating Labor Day  (Read 1092 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Celebrating Labor Day
« on: September 01, 2014, 11:15:55 AM »
We have a window seat at Sammy's Pancake House, here in Champaign, and a young son of Ham just passed by, on a bicycle, with a gas can in one hand, and towing a lawn mower in the other. Now that's what I'm talkin' about!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 12:32:40 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Celebrating Labor Day
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »
Sure, celebrate the enslavement of child laborers who are forced to risk their family's welfare benefits by stealing lawncare machines to pawn.  I give him extra points for siphoning gas to refuel his hoopty.

But thank you for your story of falling into a Norman Rockwell hallucination.  Quite entertaining.

[/sarcasm]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 04:42:58 PM »
You went to the wrong pancake house. If I'd known you were stopping here for breakfast I'd have shown you where to go, I don't normally have the holiday off.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 04:57:04 PM »
I've been laboring at Mom's. Pulled the nasty old wall to wall out of her bedroom and got it bundled up. A lot harder when there's so much stuff to keep moving out of the way.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 05:03:58 PM »
I cut some firewood today  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 05:52:13 PM »
You went to the wrong pancake house. If I'd known you were stopping here for breakfast I'd have shown you where to go, I don't normally have the holiday off.

It's my wife's hometown, so we'll be back. Where do you recommend?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 05:57:46 PM »
"Son of Ham".  Last time I read something like that was in "The Handmaid's Tale", speaking of the resettlement of the 'Children of Ham'.   You old Margaret Atwood fan, you.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 08:52:16 PM »
Actually, I used to read the first few chapters of Genesis quite a bit.

Haven't read the Atwood book.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 09:10:25 PM »
It's an interesting book. Lefties think that the US it depicts is where conservatives want to take us and that's why Atwood wrote the thing. But to me it's what would happen if progressives politically got everything they wanted.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 09:19:56 PM »
I bought a gun, and took it to the range for a test drive.  (already posted about it in another thread)  Now I'm fixin' to make some crabapple jelly before it gets too late, using the juice I extracted Saturday.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:15:12 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 10:22:21 PM »
Actually, I used to read the first few chapters of Genesis quite a bit.

Noah kidding?   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 10:48:55 PM »
You know how Noah paid for the materials to build the Ark? Cubitcoin.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 11:40:12 PM »
You know how Noah paid for the materials to build the Ark? Cubitcoin.

GROAN......................

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 11:43:23 PM »
I joined a labor union.

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »
I recommend The Original House of Pancakes (OHOP) for their signature apple pancake or dutch baby. They're carb bombs so prepare for the food coma. They also provide the standard breakfast options and have remained popular for decades. Older crowds and the wait can be intense. Sam's Cafe located in downtown Champaign is another good breakfast spot. They're also busy and with limited hours but a good bet if breakfast diner fare is your thing. Avoid Mary Anne's Diner at all costs, they're jerks with bad food. If you're in town for dinner I highly recommend Destihl. They're not posted, they make great beer and their food is among the best in town. Due to the IL "51%" law for ccw they have serviced as our all in one drink and dinner spot. Great service too. A bit pricey on a cooks wage but it's become our favorite.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 01:16:44 PM »
I recommend The Original House of Pancakes (OHOP) for their signature apple pancake or dutch baby. They're carb bombs so prepare for the food coma. They also provide the standard breakfast options and have remained popular for decades. Older crowds and the wait can be intense. Sam's Cafe located in downtown Champaign is another good breakfast spot. They're also busy and with limited hours but a good bet if breakfast diner fare is your thing. Avoid Mary Anne's Diner at all costs, they're jerks with bad food. If you're in town for dinner I highly recommend Destihl. They're not posted, they make great beer and their food is among the best in town. Due to the IL "51%" law for ccw they have serviced as our all in one drink and dinner spot. Great service too. A bit pricey on a cooks wage but it's become our favorite.

Thanks. Funny you should mention Merry Anne's. That's where her Dad wanted to go for lunch, and I will definitely avoid it in the future. At least he paid for it.

We saw a place called Meatheads, near the Merry Anne's. Have you been there?

Sammy's was recommended by some friends of ours. I thought it was OK. My wife's first job was setting tables at the Original Pancake House in Champaign, but we have those in St. Louis, so she wanted to try something else.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 01:55:55 PM »
"Son of Ham".  Last time I read something like that was in "The Handmaid's Tale", speaking of the resettlement of the 'Children of Ham'.   You old Margaret Atwood fan, you.

Thanks for that femynist flashback to high school GT English.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 04:55:08 PM »
We have a window seat at Sammy's Pancake House, here in Champaign, and a young son of Ham just passed by, on a bicycle, with a gas can in one hand, and towing a lawn mower in the other. Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Googled it up, went to street view.  We lived in CU for a long time, left in '91.  That did not look familiar at all.

We used to go to Uncle John's on, I think, Florida Ave.  Which morphed into Aunt Sonya's.  But, this was the late '70s.  Who knows what's there now.

Is there still a Papa Del's pizza in town?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 05:12:52 PM »
Googled it up, went to street view.  We lived in CU for a long time, left in '91.  That did not look familiar at all.

We used to go to Uncle John's on, I think, Florida Ave.  Which morphed into Aunt Sonya's.  But, this was the late '70s.  Who knows what's there now.

Is there still a Papa Del's pizza in town?

According to Google Maps, yes.