Author Topic: Christian campus groups "derecognized" for being Christian  (Read 1277 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Christian campus groups "derecognized" for being Christian
« on: September 07, 2014, 09:44:09 PM »
I don't see how this can stand. Haven't the Supremes already ruled on this sort of thing, at public secondary schools?

http://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2014/september/intervarsity-now-derecognized-in-california-state-universit.html

I will disagree with the article on one point. Persecution is always persecution, no matter how much worse the persecution may be somewhere else.

Sorry if the link wasn't working. It didn't work for my browser, because I unintentionally capitalized the h in http. I didn't think it would care.

Another link, just for more info:
http://www.sonomastatestar.com/news/2014/8/26/religious-organization-on-the-chopping-block

The above mentions that the group used to receive funding from the state. I can only assume that any funds they received are something available to other campus groups. Some will respond to this with the "If you take the King's shilling..." line. Wrong. If funds are set aside for campus student groups, then there should be no discrimination against particular groups, merely because they happen to promote Christianity, or insist on Christian leadership.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:26:02 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Christian campus groups "derecognized" for being Christian
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 11:03:34 PM »
I don't see how this can stand. Haven't the Supremes already ruled on this sort of thing, at public secondary schools?

http://Http://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2014/september/intervarsity-now-derecognized-in-california-state-universit.html

I will disagree with the article on one point. Persecution is always persecution, no matter how much worse the persecution may be somewhere else.

I wonder just what Christians could do so that academics and university bureaucrats would be as hesitant to criticize and act against Christian organizations as they are to do such to Muslim organizations?  Because it is pretty obvious the Muslim groups have found the secret sauce that nullifies leftist opposition.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 11:29:29 PM »
I have heard people say that they are secretly afraid of Muslims and are suffering a form of Stockholme syndrome.  I think it is more that Christians are a good target from which there are few consequences.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 02:23:08 AM »
Does this mean that the Hillel Society is also banned?

If not ... why not?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:35:07 AM »

If not ... why not?

They just have to wear an identifying arm band.

InterVarsity is still allowed on campus, but not as a recognized student organization. They, apparently, can't put signs on campus, and have to pay for any rooms they want to use for meetings. 'Cause they're not inclusive enough.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 08:29:36 AM »
That is what you get for asking permission to meet.  If asking permission gets you this kind of treatment, then a strong case has just been made for civil disobedience. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 08:29:56 AM »

If not ... why not?

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/194612/
I PREDICT THEY WILL MOSTLY RESOLVE IT BY DECIDING TO BE LEFTISTS, FIRST: The Dilemma Of The Jewish Leftist. Because that’s usually how it works: “Over the past 15 years, the international Left has consistently expanded its political alliance with Islamists in the West. Among other things, this alliance has required the Left to turn a blind eye to barbaric Islamic practices like female genital mutilation and rape and to defame those who dare to openly oppose these reactionary, obscene behaviors as Islamophobic racists.”

And head choppings on youtube.  Don't forget the head choppings.

As a parent I must be cognizant of the incentives I put in place, intentionally or otherwise.  Folk may be unpredictable and such, but at the margins most respond to incentives.  If murderous violence is observed to serve other religious groups well, don't be too surprised if some Christians at the margins get the notion that it might serve their purposes, too.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 10:26:13 AM »
I wonder just what Christians could do so that academics and university bureaucrats would be as hesitant to criticize and act against Christian organizations as they are to do such to Muslim organizations?

I doubt you're going to find a lot of Christians willing to become suicide bombers or decapitate school administrators in the name of their religion.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 10:34:31 AM »
I doubt you're going to find a lot of Christians willing to become suicide bombers or decapitate school administrators in the name of their religion.
And if you do have one or two Christian crazies over the next decade or so, the left will define these isolated incidents as equivalent to Islam's daily outrages, and they'll be held up by the left as absolute proof that radical Christians are even more dangerous to civilization than radical Moslems.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 11:03:22 AM »

Today, with the current mindset of most Christians in the West, that is a true statement.  Except for a very few at the margins. 

And the margins is where such activity will come from.  If those at the margins learn the lessons and heed the incentives of leftist/Muslim interaction, the margins will grow as sure as any other economic/sociological phenomenon.  If Christianity is merely mass delusion, expect adherents to eventually respond as all others.  (And if this is not the expectation of the anti-Christian sorts, why is that?)

We get regular reminders of how awful the Christians were in the past: crusades, pogroms, mass expulsions.  Yet the same folk who harp on that (to the exclusion of Muslim and Jewish and other's evil doings) seem to think they can kick the Christian dog around and never get bit.

And if you do have one or two Christian crazies over the next decade or so, the left will define these isolated incidents as equivalent to Islam's daily outrages, and they'll be held up by the left as absolute proof that radical Christians are even more dangerous to civilization than radical Moslems.

Depends on how many.  One or two? True that. 

A regular occurrence aimed at journalists and academics...you'd get a different response as the possibility of ending up a grisly video on youtube sinks in. 

Violence and fear are effective.  Just look at the coverage of violent Muslim groups and countries from 1947 to today.  When they killed merely Jews, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, and pagans; they had very poor coverage in the press.  Start in the 1970s killing journalists and academics (think American University in Lebanon) and immigrating to the West and you see a whole new sort of coverage.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton