Author Topic: star at international concert - go to kiddy jail?  (Read 891 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
star at international concert - go to kiddy jail?
« on: September 09, 2014, 03:15:59 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/in-dc-a-12-year-old-piano-prodigy-is-treated-as-a-truant-instead-of-a-star-student/2014/09/08/58962746-3727-11e4-bdfb-de4104544a37_story.html

13-year old piano prodigy comes >< this close to being prosecuted for truancy.

I wonder how many of the Obama children's "absences" have been excused?

I took the former daughter out of school to see the legislature (got her shots beforhand), to see the local AAA team lose the league championship in the bottom of the 9th, and because it was a pretty day with the leaves all changing colors.  Never had a problem having those recorded as excused absences - and she was credited with 100% for any work/quiz/test that day.  When she found out she could get extra credit for writing a paragraph - yes, one measley paragraph - about what she did, she became a budding hack author.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

brimic

• friends
Re: star at international concert - go to kiddy jail?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 04:07:55 PM »
I was never a prodigy at anything, but my Dad used to wake me up early, tell me I wasn't going to school that day, and took me out to the   local marsh to hunt waterfowl.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 06:01:46 PM »
Last year I was going to pull Robert out of school the last week (when they weren't doing anything) to take him on a week long fishing trip to Minnesota.  I emailed all his teachers in Janurary when we were planning this and not one said anything other then "Sounds Fun, I hope he enjoys it!!"  One even said, "There is more to learning then just sitting in a classroom."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:25:08 PM »
Never had issues when I was out of school for a good reason. 

Funniest one was when a bunch of us Seniors took of and went to the state wrestling meet.  A couple of parents didn't call in and when the school called, they knew where we were, parents told them that we were 18 and free to do as we please. >:D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 12:37:30 PM »
Ahhhh, yes the bureaucrats strike again.  The only power they have is the power to say "No".  And since this nail is sticking up, it must be hammered down to same level as all the other nails.

The parents need to find a private (music) school and enroll her there.   I would imagine there would be many jumping at the chance for her to study there.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 01:26:50 PM »
13-year old piano prodigy comes >< this close to being prosecuted for truancy.

Why hasn't daddy put in for a transfer to somewhere with more reasonable schools?  Even public schools can be reasonable, and I'd bet there's a small town somewhere that would love to have bragging rights to a kid like her, to the point of having the school district give them something in writing up front.  Also, I'd bet that DC private schools are toward the high end of the price range anyway, so maybe they could afford one elsewhere.

For that matter, if he can't afford a private music school, (given that many probably have scholarships available for someone that good) I doubt he's so well-paid and in-demand that he couldn't find something as good pretty much anywhere with a lower cost (and higher standard) of living.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:30:14 PM by KD5NRH »

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 03:18:01 PM »
After a little research, looks like the local PreK-6 Baptist school is a little under $3400/yr for first through sixth grades.  (Less than half the ISD's annual revenues/enrollment.)  They'll prorate that for people taking their kids out in full month increments, so effectively $340/mo.  The nondenominational one is $3,950-4,400 depending on grade, with the same prorating, and goes through 7th grade.

As I understand it, interest beyond that was low, since the parents want to homeschool and/or put them into public schools once they have that 6th or 7th grade foundation.  Frankly, the homeschooled kids I knew in HS were pretty much just there to fill out the assignments and get the diploma, because they were already beyond even the honors classes, but figured a genuine SHS diploma would head off potential issues later.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 03:44:44 PM »
In dc private schools can cost as much as 30 k a year. And the bottom is 10 k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I