Author Topic: Small, home use tractors  (Read 3574 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Small, home use tractors
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2014, 07:18:25 PM »
Rebuilt the leaking bucket tilt cylinder on my Deere today, not to bad at at all to do. Put it back together and remounted it and it works great.
O-rings  ???

I used to get hydraulic cylinders from the scrap yard for a few dollars, and then order the cups from Northern Hydraulics (now N. Tool).  People thought I was quite a whiz kid back then as hyd cyl's were considered some sort of magic I guess  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2014, 07:30:52 PM »
O-rings  ???

I used to get hydraulic cylinders from the scrap yard for a few dollars, and then order the cups from Northern Hydraulics (now N. Tool).  People thought I was quite a whiz kid back then as hyd cyl's were considered some sort of magic I guess  :lol:

Orings and seals.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2014, 09:52:22 PM »
Old tractors are a lot of fun but when it comes to work, the newer ones will do so much more work in the same amount of time. Better power systems, better hydraulics, and front wheel assist is essential when doing loader work.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2014, 10:53:09 AM »
Old tractors are a lot of fun but when it comes to work, the newer ones will do so much more work in the same amount of time. Better power systems, better hydraulics, and front wheel assist is essential when doing loader work.
And a 4 speed and clutch is a killer when using the loader.  After an hour or two my left knee hurts so bad that I get off and use a hand shovel for a break.

I'm not sure that I even need a loader on another tractor  =|  I mostly just need to grade/plow the driveway and level/harrow the riding arena.  Also need a big brush hog to mow sagebrush in the pasture.  I'm thinking that I would rather have a 50-75 hp real farm tractor with just the PTO and 3pt.  The little tractors are so light that they bounce all over the place when doing dirt work, and even 4wd the wheels spin if you try to do anything hard.

If I really needed a loader I could use my old Case or just borrow one of the neighbor's Kubotas.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2014, 11:32:04 AM »
2 wd loaded tires and chain with a brain between seat and wheel is good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2014, 11:43:44 AM »
2 wd loaded tires and chain with a brain between seat and wheel is good.

We used to skid logs with an Allis CA.  I made a set of skidder chains for it using rebar bent into rings and welded.  No winch, but had a little hydraulic arch using the "two point" arms.  We did put a loader on it: an old manure bucket with lift only and a cable trip on the bucket.  With that you could push logs up into a deck.

The biggest problem with my old Case VAI (other than the wheels are all rusted out from the calcium) is that the gears are too high  =(  I have a non running VA and I've thought about swapping the rear end but that's a lot of work.  On 40 acres I'd just as soon have a much bigger 2wd tractor, but if you're on 1 or 2 acres I can see where the compact tractors are nice.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2014, 11:51:47 AM »
The 34 horse is a compromise. My plan is subframe mount the plow leave loader on use loader to lift plow. Mount 500 pound spreader on back throw snow blower in loader bicker with a couple fuel cans. Have chains for front wheels. It will run all day on less than 40 bucks of diese

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I