Author Topic: 35MM Slide Scanning?  (Read 2007 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
35MM Slide Scanning?
« on: September 17, 2014, 02:21:53 PM »
Have any of you batch scanned 35MM slides? Part of a "to do" list I've had for a bunch of years but am just getting around to now, is going through about 40 years of old photographs and slides, getting rid of crappy ones (because back when I was paying to print photos, I paid for them dammit, so I kept every single one no matter how crappy it was) and scanning the remainder.

Photos are a piece of cake, if time consuming, but I'm not sure what to do with the slides. Sadly, if I had started this when I was still working, I could have borrowed the nifty slide scanner from work. All I have at home is a flatbed scanner. I'm looking for the best way to scan slides without breaking the bank, since this will be a one time deal. I'm guessing of the hundreds of slides I have, I may be keeping 100 or even less.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: 35MM Slide Scanning?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 02:32:32 PM »
There's a good chance that your best option for balancing cost and quality will to contract it out.

Not an endorsement, but 100 slides would be $39.

Oh, and a review for some venders.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:35:37 PM by Firethorn »

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 03:11:52 PM »
There is no good way. I also recommend pursuing having a lab do it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 03:23:09 PM »
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63076139

I used a refurb V550 for a lot of B&W and some color film.  Does well on slides too, though all can be a bit tedious when you have a lot to scan.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 03:25:43 PM »
We did roughly 1000 old family slides with an earlier model Epson scanner. It had a built-in light box in the lid, and a little frame that held a row of six slides at a time.

All of the slides came out better than any of the printed photographs, and had much better color
I promise not to duck.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 03:27:28 PM »
Did some research a few years ago when I thought to scan about 4000 slides, 12000 b&w negatives.  I found the good solutions too expensive and the affordable solutions too low quality, even in the research stage.  For snap shot quality, you may find a batch slide/negative holder that works with your flatbed scanner.  Too many of the reviews I looked at for affordable solutions smacked of paid ads.

The research is left as an exercise for the student.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 04:20:58 PM »
Did some research a few years ago when I thought to scan about 4000 slides, 12000 b&w negatives.  I found the good solutions too expensive and the affordable solutions too low quality, even in the research stage.

The V550 did great quality if you were willing to wait for the higher-res scans.  It was definitely a start-it-and-go-watch-TV-for-a-while process, though.  120 negs came out clean enough to print my grandparents' wedding photo at 4x6 from the 8x12 hanging in the background of a picture of my great grandparents.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 05:49:44 PM »
Hmm. Perhaps sending them out would be the way to go. I saw a method (link below) to do it on a flatbed, but it sounds like it would eat up more of my time than it's worth and certainly wouldn't guarantee professional quality results. Sending out might be the most expeditious (thanks for the review link Firethorn!) for a one shot deal.

http://petapixel.com/2011/07/14/how-to-scan-film-using-your-ordinary-flatbed-scanner/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 10:43:44 PM »
I, too, used to use Ektachrome and Kodachrome a lot on the theory that (A) it was cheaper than print  media and (B) I could always get color prints made from them by sending them out, just like Ben, and for some of them I did just that.

But when I tried to scan them on my HP scanner years ago, I, too, discovered that I needed light from above, not below.  Knowing that HP had a complete language ("PCL" for "Printer Control Language") for some really, really detailed control of their printers, and having used it for some special work projects, I asked them what language they had for their scanners. My  intent was to turn off  their internal lamp by software while the scanning bar went by the subject slide, lit from above.  (I still have the HP-PCL language manual around somewhere that I bought with my own money.)

The brusque "get-to-the-next-call" answer from one of Rajesh Koothrapoli's distant relatives was that it was impossible, and that they did not have an equivalent "Scanner Control Language."  I found that hard to believe and followed up with a direct snail-mail inquiry to HP and never got an answer.

I also thought it might be a good way to take color negatives, scan them, reverse the colors in MS-Paint, and print them out on my color printer.

I was tempted to open the thing up and disconnect the lamp and try it again with an overhead lamp, but kind of lost interest in the project for a while... like 15 years by now.

Interesting about the Epson printer noted above being able to do it.

I've  got a small suitcase full of slides from the mid-sixties to early seventies, when I went back to color print film.  Some of those I would love to print, like the one of the toolroom model of JMB's first 1911 which I took at the Browning Museum in Utah.  And of his original "potato digger" machine gun in the same museum.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:51:34 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 11:35:26 AM »
I have a Canon MG8220 printer, which also works as a copier and flatbed scanner . . . it will also do a credible job of scanning slides and 35mm film.

BUT . . . when scanning slides or film, it is S-L-O-W so it's best to set it up, start the process, and then go do something else for a while.

Though I haven't tried it myself, a digital camera with a GOOD macro lens will work, too . . . something like this:  http://www.scantips.com/es-1.html

Hopefully, you've got access to something like Photoshop to tweak the color if you need to . . .

I also understand Hasselblad makes a couple of very nice film scanners, but they're a bit pricey . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 11:44:15 AM »
Hopefully, you've got access to something like Photoshop to tweak the color if you need to . . .

Yeah, I have Gimp and Nikon Capture for image enhancement, but for all the photos I've been scanning, I've actually just been using Irfanview. It's been super efficient. I stick as many photos as I can fit on the scanner, Irfanview runs the scan and then knows to separate them out into individual photos instead of one big collage, and then for my really old and faded color photos, it has a "fix faded photos" button to brighten them up with one click with a really well done algorithm. Then it just saves them as individual photos in my designated folder.

I'll likely still Gimp some of my better photos, but for the "snapshots", Irfanview has been super quick and efficient (and free).

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 03:25:34 PM »
BUT . . . when scanning slides or film, it is S-L-O-W so it's best to set it up, start the process, and then go do something else for a while.

I suspect a lot of that is just data transfer delays; save one of those 24,000+DPI scans as anything without compression, at full resolution and color depth and look at just how many bits it's really having to shuffle around just to get the file created on your computer...then if you're normally using .jpg or whatever, it's got to compress that monster file afterward too.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 03:34:11 PM »
You can get results from a flatbed that are good enough for the Web or 4x6 prints. Very slow. If you want to approach a proper scan you need to use one of the specialized slide scanners that is obsolete. I get decent results with a set of macro tubes and a DSLR when I need to digitized a couple slides individually. But for bulk scanning, outsourcing is the way to go. Regardless of the scanning method, the time comes from the post processing.

Why do you want to digitize? If you just want to view them, slide projectors are cheap. It might make sense to view them with a slide projector to determine the ones you really want. I hope you aren't going to throw the slides away.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 03:39:58 PM »
Why do you want to digitize? If you just want to view them, slide projectors are cheap. It might make sense to view them with a slide projector to determine the ones you really want. I hope you aren't going to throw the slides away.

Preservation and ease of viewing. Slide projectors are kind of a hassle compared to doing a slideshow on the TV. Also a lot of the photos from the 70s were already fading pretty good. The only ones I'm throwing out are the crappy photos and slides, like from when I did a lot of underwater photography with my Nikonos, 80% were crappy and 20% were interesting, but I kept everything. Now I'm tossing crappily composed photos and slides, digitizing the rest, and putting the originals into a storage box.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 09:58:05 PM »
try a copy lens on a dlsr

http://www.scantips.com/es-1.html
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 10:13:37 PM »

Huh. Thanks Harold. I'll have to do a final count of how many slides I end up with and do a cost comparison between the copy lens and sending them out.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 11:00:06 AM »

Did you get that link from my post earlier in this thread?   ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 11:13:12 AM »
Did you get that link from my post earlier in this thread?   ;)

Oops - sorry about that buddy!

My standard excuse nowadays is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79YUknp1T7I

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 12:54:37 PM »
http://www.instructables.com/id/35mm-Slide-Converter-with-Cellphone/

I'm gonna try that just for kicks. Looks like no more than an hour's time from start to a few sample images, and I have everything but the vellum paper. If nothing else, if it looks halfway decent, it would be good enough for the "snapshot" slides. That would leave a much smaller number of "good" slides that I might want to send out for professional scanning.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 01:46:44 PM »
I'm gonna try that just for kicks. Looks like no more than an hour's time from start to a few sample images, and I have everything but the vellum paper.

If you can find it, WalMart used to sell some "make your own stencil" translucent plastic in the craft section that made for an excellent, tough diffuser.  IIRC, it was 2 8x10 sheets for $2.89.  Also great when cut to business card size to carry in your wallet as a diffuser for cheap cameras with built-in flash, or cut in a strip that could be tucked around the pop-up flash of a DSLR to spread it a couple inches.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 08:57:20 PM »
plastic milk jug diffusers work OK