Author Topic: EBR or EBK?  (Read 2385 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
EBR or EBK?
« on: September 21, 2014, 01:44:44 PM »
In most every story on the last White House fence jumper, I've seen a phrase similar to, "Concealed black folding knife" (so, uh, a pocket knife, right?). I'm interested to see if there is going to be any talk about Evil Black Knives that need to be controlled.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/09/21/rep-king-is-sure-house-homeland-security-panel-will-probe-white-house-intruder/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: EBR or EBK?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 01:58:10 PM »
How is that unacceptable?

They stopped him before he got in weapons range of anyone they were protecting. Isn't that the point of security?

I'm sure they could install auto turrets that wax anything bigger then a bunny on the White House lawn but that seems excessive to me.

They got this guy, disarmed and arrested him for trial, and didn't let him near the people they are paid to protect. As a bonus, they appear to have not given much away in the way of their tactics and SOP's to anyone that may have been watching.  Seems like a win for the SS to me.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 02:11:39 PM »
I'm not talking about stopping him or any of their tactics, I'm talking about the news services and their description of the knife.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 02:32:40 PM »
I'm not talking about stopping him or any of their tactics, I'm talking about the news services and their description of the knife.

Sorry, I got that. I was responding to the Rep. that was quoted in the article.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 02:43:57 PM »
Sorry, I got that. I was responding to the Rep. that was quoted in the article.

Ah, gotchya. My error. :)

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 03:36:50 PM »
I agree with dogmush.  I've read several accounts where the Secret Service said they explicitly decided not to shoot the guy because he didn't appear to be carrying a bomb or any kind of heavy weapons.  With all the accounts of police shooting every innocent man, woman, child, and dog in site I'm happy to see the Secret Service showing some restraint.  They let the crazy guy come to them, subdued him, and detained him.  How is this not a win?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 06:46:47 PM »
The secret service is amongst the absolute best at using discretion and thus sparing mentally disturbed folks. So are the security folks at the Israeli embassy in dc. Both get a lot of practice. Capital hill cops also are gentle where possible with folks who are disturbed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 06:49:37 PM »
The secret service is amongst the absolute best at using discretion and thus sparing mentally disturbed folks. So are the security folks at the Israeli embassy in dc. Both get a lot of practice. Capital hill cops also are gentle where possible with folks who are disturbed

Speaking from experience?  :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 07:14:29 PM »
Not me going over but I have seen the way they treated some guys who went over the fence or tried to get in the embassy. They balance their duty to keep the facility safe with a level,of compassion that other agencies would do well to emulate. They do have the luxury of a controlled environment as well as ample man power but once that determine that there is no real threat they act more like staff at a good mental,health facility. They get lots of practice they are magnets for disturbed folks. In the case of the capital cops they went through a roommates wallet and called all the numbers trying to get someone to get him as opposed to sending him to st E's . When I got there they had him contained with a guy to watch him and were giving him donuts and decaf. In that case i think his vet status coupled with most of the cops there being vets made them especially considerate of him. In that case I was especially glad since he was real fragile both mentally and physically. He was expecting a beating when they had to remove him and he couldn't get over  "how nice those guys were" when Walter reed cut him loose we took him back down there and he got them a cake from the fancy place in union station.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »
I like to learn something every day: why is the Israeli embassy in DC a hot spot for this sort of thing?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 08:11:06 PM »
I like to learn something every day: why is the Israeli embassy in DC a hot spot for this sort of thing?

Um, cause the Joooos are the perpetrators of various evils, and control the US gubermint and the world, of course.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 08:24:24 PM »
A great many folks obsess about Israel. Often they are not hostile some act like groupies. I know one guy with a dozen incidents over 20 years. Their security is very impressive both in primary job and not hurting sick folks.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 09:25:23 PM »
"I'm interested to see if there is going to be any talk about Evil Black Knives that need to be controlled."

And black baseball bats, black cars, big black assault flashlights, black tire irons, black et ceteras.

Maybe they should make all those things in green.  Much more politically acceptable, doncha know?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 09:39:47 PM »
"I'm interested to see if there is going to be any talk about Evil Black Knives that need to be controlled."

And black baseball bats, black cars, big black assault flashlights, black tire irons, black et ceteras.

Maybe they should make all those things in green.  Much more politically acceptable, doncha know?

I have a pair of black logging/fire boots  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 02:25:13 AM »
I have a pair of black logging/fire boots  >:D

You mean black "jack boots" dontcha?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 07:57:26 AM »
The initial reports said he was unarmed.  When I heard about the weapons charge my first thought was they just wanted to tack on something so it wouldn't only be a trespass violation.  The folding aspect of the knife, no doubt, makes it more deadly in the same way that a handgun is more deadly than a long gun.  (Assault weapons, short and long, are in another category, because like this evil knife, they are black and scary looking [sorry for that racist comment])
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 08:50:45 AM »
Actually they usually jam you on the charge to make sure the courts supervise you till they decide if you pose a significant threat. If they decide no and you comply with seeing the head doctor they drop it. The more leverage they have the more folks cooperate.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 09:51:51 AM »
How is that unacceptable?

I've worked in a lot of fairly low-security buildings that had these things on the doors called locks.

Some of the slightly nicer ones used mag locks, some with proximity cards that unlocked them from several inches away.  Assign wristbands to folks with the unlock tag, and they might never even know which doors are locked if they're cleared for access to that area; they reach to turn the knob, and it unlocks before they touch it.

You would think the White House could afford something like that, if for no other reason than access tracking.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 01:24:12 PM »
How come he wasn't invited in, given an EBT card, signed up for Obamacare, given an Obamaphone and housing found for him in a sanctuary city?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 01:31:53 PM »
Because he is a Veteran.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!