Author Topic: And it begins: man arrested for shooting down drone  (Read 3470 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: And it begins: man arrested for shooting down drone
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 11:00:45 AM »
He's probably in more trouble because of Jersey's gun laws than destroying the heli.

From a few years ago:
http://www.suasnews.com/2012/11/19719/activists-drone-shot-out-of-the-sky-for-fourth-time/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 11:01:14 AM »
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/09/30/new-jersey-man-accused-of-shooting-down-neighbors-remote-control-drone/

Article comments are interesting, too.

Really it should read "Man arrested for destroying neighbor's property"....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 11:02:29 AM »
All I want to know is where the drone fell. Across the property line? Otherwise it's he said/he said.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 11:22:42 AM »
Interesting case. If I stand on the sidewalk and take pictures of your house, that is legal. It seems like doing the same thing, but with an overhead drone would be legal as well. But is there an expectation of privacy that would be violated, if say the home owner was sunbathing in the backyard? Would that apply to manned helicopters or ultralights as well? Could be some new precedent about to be set here.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 11:29:50 AM »
Yes, you can stand on the sidewalk and take a picture of my house.  However, you cannot walk up to my house and take a picture through the front window.

That's the difference.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 11:39:15 AM »
Interesting case. If I stand on the sidewalk and take pictures of your house, that is legal. It seems like doing the same thing, but with an overhead drone would be legal as well. But is there an expectation of privacy that would be violated, if say the home owner was sunbathing in the backyard? Would that apply to manned helicopters or ultralights as well? Could be some new precedent about to be set here.

http://rgl.faa.gov/regulatory_and_guidance_library/rgfar.nsf/bf94f3f079de2117852566c70067018c/91693c93525de33e862576c100763e31

c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

Drones are currently a gray area. FAA has another year to finalize rules for drones, but has already forbidden their use and been struck down in court.

http://rcflightline.com/drones-vs-radio-controlled-aircraft-a-look-at-the-differences-between-the-two/
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/03/faa-cant-regulate-small-rc-aircraft-as-drones-judge-rules/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 11:43:24 AM »
Yeah, farmers are still trying to figure out whether they are legal to fly over their own fields  ;/

Out here, I could blast one out of the sky no problem.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 11:48:14 AM »
Yes, you can stand on the sidewalk and take a picture of my house.  However, you cannot walk up to my house and take a picture through the front window.

That's the difference.

Someone could also be on the sidewalk with a telephoto lens to get a picture through a window. It comes down to what they're doing with the camera or drone that counts, and that gets to be a sticky wicket. If I'm in front of someone's house with an 800MM lens, it doesn't mean I'm using it to look through a window. I might have just stopped to tie my shoe, or am shooting a picture of a bird in a tree. Or I liked the front yard landscaping and took a picture as a reference.

On the FAA altitudes, UAS altitudes are limited to <400' without a COA. So by law, they currently have to fly close to their targets (and thus potential surrounding targets). Not that altitude even needs to make a difference. With a good sensor, someone can see more at 1000' than a drone purchased at Amazon can see at 100'.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:51:34 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »

If I want to, it is perfectly legal (so long as I obey altitude limits and operate within the airspace rules) to set up a pylon orbit over a house and take all the pictures I want, and the property owner can't do a damn thing about it.

Most people do not understand that they do not own the airspace above their property.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 04:40:29 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 04:38:12 PM »

Most people do not understand that they do not own the airspace above their property.

Even folks who should know better. They jailed a guy here who went through a chain of legal arguments after he threatened to " blast em from the sky" in a Sunday afternoon call to the local airport. One of his failed arguments was " they are below 500 feet"
They pointed out he's in a landing approach and the planes have to come down to land.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 04:58:05 PM »
Just curious, what is the vertical range of a typical bird gun?  I didn't think bird shot had that much effective range.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 05:03:20 PM »
Okay, just how low can they go?

Can I hover one just outside your window? Probably not.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 05:09:58 PM »

Cujus est solum ejus est usque ad coelum et ad inferos has no legal authority in the United States when pertaining to the sky. A man does not have control and ownership over the airspace of their property except within reasonable limits to utilize their property. Airspace above a set minimum height is property of the Masses and no one man can accuse airplanes or other such craft within of trespassing on what they own.

United States v. Causby

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Re: And it begins: man arrested for shooting down drone
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 05:25:33 PM »

Ph6s8cally yes.  Might bump into laws though.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 05:38:31 PM »
He's probably in more trouble because of Jersey's gun laws than destroying the heli.

From a few years ago:
http://www.suasnews.com/2012/11/19719/activists-drone-shot-out-of-the-sky-for-fourth-time/

Notice that no one in Pennsylvania was arrested for it.   =D

No one knows. It's not settled law. If you had an awesome lawyer and a lot of money, you could indeed hover one outside a window. Or maybe not.

Since it's not settled law, it amounts to whatever the cops, prosecutor or judge thinks (in that order). The cops didn't think it was a crime to for hunters to shoot down drones operated by duck squeezers and tree huggers. Ergo, the exact legal status is moot because it's not enforced. But, in NJ, it apparently is.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 06:01:13 PM »
. . . On the FAA altitudes, UAS altitudes are limited to <400' without a COA. So by law, they currently have to fly close to their targets (and thus potential surrounding targets).
I foresee sales of modern barrage balloons in the future with tethers of 399 feet or less . . .  >:D

Some places have ordinances regarding "air rights" to deal with things like a neighbor's awning or roof overhang extending over the property line - exceptions are made for trees and utilities, but I know of instances where a dwelling had to be modified because of this. It wouldn't surprise me if some of these ordinances would extend to low-flying drones, particularly if they're both over the property line and below the neighbor's roof line.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 06:14:02 PM »
No one knows. It's not settled law. If you had an awesome lawyer and a lot of money, you could indeed hover one outside a window. Or maybe not.

So I can cruise around anyone's property in a hovercraft all I want?

Since it's not settled law, it amounts to whatever the cops, prosecutor or judge thinks (in that order). The cops didn't think it was a crime to for hunters to shoot down drones operated by duck squeezers and tree huggers. Ergo, the exact legal status is moot because it's not enforced. But, in NJ, it apparently is.

I'd be willing to bet that was seen as reasonable action to stop the intentional and illegal harassment, and had the treehuggers instead simply been the local R/C club out playing unaware of the hunters' presence, I suspect there would have been some misdemeanors filed, or at least a "you pay this guy for the damage, you stop buzzing his field, and we'll forget it happened."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 07:26:32 PM »
I'm thinking some kind don't of hand thrown bolo type device. If it's over my property close enough I could tag it with something li, e that it was too close.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

griz

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 08:00:03 PM »
Just curious, what is the vertical range of a typical bird gun?  I didn't think bird shot had that much effective range.

Assuming it was bird shot, it probably couldn't have been much further than 100 feet.  I wondered about the proximity to his house too, since that makes it seems as if it was flying very close to him.  But one possibility (the only info I heard was the neighbor "told the police where the gunfire came from", so this is a guess) is the guy was near the property line when he shot.  I don't really know enough to do more than wonder about it.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 08:24:35 PM »
I foresee sales of modern barrage balloons in the future with tethers of 399 feet or less . . .  >:D
Some places have ordinances regarding "air rights" to deal with things like a neighbor's awning or roof overhang extending over the property line - exceptions are made for trees and utilities, but I know of instances where a dwelling had to be modified because of this. It wouldn't surprise me if some of these ordinances would extend to low-flying drones, particularly if they're both over the property line and below the neighbor's roof line.

I predict tents of fine netting becoming popular for the wealthy or famous,  making mansions look like the local batting cage/mini-golf/go-cart/driving range place.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 08:45:07 PM »
Notice that no one in Pennsylvania was arrested for it.   =D

Which is sad.  There are hunter interference laws on the books for a reason.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 10:47:11 PM »
Sixty yards with big lead shot, magnum loads.
7-11 was a part time job.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 10:47:52 PM »
Assuming it was bird shot, it probably couldn't have been much further than 100 feet.  I wondered about the proximity to his house too, since that makes it seems as if it was flying very close to him.  But one possibility (the only info I heard was the neighbor "told the police where the gunfire came from", so this is a guess) is the guy was near the property line when he shot.  I don't really know enough to do more than wonder about it.
That is about what I was thinking.  100 feet is not very far.  

I guess eventually there will be regulations on this for good or bad.  If not, there are lots of stupid people who like to push the limits of anything.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
Sixty yards with big lead shot, magnum loads.
I guess they didn't specify the size of the holes.