Author Topic: Use spare wifi router to set up wireless network leg?  (Read 762 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Use spare wifi router to set up wireless network leg?
« on: October 04, 2014, 04:03:25 PM »
Possible to set up a spare wifi router as a dedicated ethernet extender?

My parents have Dish and would like to use the on-console VOD and movie ordering functions. Their Dish receiver is not wifi enabled. Cable-connect networking only and running an ethernet outlet is problematic for several reasons (mostly structural). A wireless extender of some kind would simply and easily solve the problem but I figure why buy if I can make do with what I have on hand.

Suggestions? Comments? Bueller?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Use spare wifi router to set up wireless network leg?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 09:33:02 PM »
I believe some of the DD-WRT type custom firmwares offer this capability.  For that matter sometimes the built-in firmware does too.  What routers do you have?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 01:09:10 AM »
I have an old Linksys but a buddy has a couple (models unknown) he said I can have. Just wondering if it's possible with minimal gyrations. There's a Netgear unit available for $25 that's both Dish-recommended and PNP. If other stuff has a PITA factor of more than 2.134576 then the workaround is a no-go.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 02:09:54 AM »
What model Linksys?

I'm doing it right now with an old WRT54GL using Tomato firmware. Kind of a PITA to set up, though, due to some peculiarities of Tomato. DD-WRT may be simpler.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 01:36:30 PM »
I said heck with it and ordered the dedicated Dish (NetGear) dongle. At only $25 it's too cheap to pass up and I don't have to mess with getting it up and running.

Brad
-HankB