Author Topic: Super 8, surprisingly good movie.  (Read 692 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Super 8, surprisingly good movie.
« on: October 07, 2014, 01:02:54 PM »
Picked up the Super 8 BluRay on the cheap. Really good movie. Mix equal parts Close Encounters, ET, Outbreak, and Goonies. Throw in a healthy dose of JJ Abrams lens flares, a cool soundtrack, and the biggest collection of 70s-era Detroit iron I've seen on film in recent years. Gone With The Wind it ain't, but it's still a decent way to spent 2 hours.

Something I found interesting is how different sound mixes are when compared back-to-back. Over the weekend I watched the last two Transformers movies. Bayhem in full force with a sound mix entirely capable of reducing lesser home theater systems to dust. They are the most comprehensive, balanced, and enveloping mixes I've heard. Ever. Compared to them the Super 8 soundtrack (no slouch) is noticeably front-heavy, a bit bright, and uses LFE less effectvely. But that's like comparing a Pro Stocker to a Top Fuel dragster. Both are screaming fast and neither will disappoint, it's just that one is more impressively brutal than the other.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:38:53 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Re: Super 8, surprisingly good movie.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 01:56:38 PM »
Super 8 was a good movie. I didn't think it would be, but the rest of the family wanted to go see it when it came out and I was pleasantly surprised.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 04:23:49 PM »
I saw it when it came out. I also enjoyed the period iron and the soundtrack. It didn't try to do too much, and the story it did tell, it told very well.

I'm not sure where it was filmed, but it wasn't California, and that's what matters.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 04:56:54 PM »
I also liked it a lot.  It makes me nostalgic for my youth in small-town Ohio.  Seeing as how it was filmed in West Virginia, it's not much of a stretch to "see" central Ohio when I watch it.

I might have to run out and pick up the blue-ray today.  Hmmm.  Looks like Ebolamart has a combo pak (blueray/dvd/digital) for $10.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 05:04:49 PM »

I'm not sure where it was filmed, but it wasn't California, and that's what matters.

Weirton, WV. Just finished watching all the Behind The Scenes features. They did a whole segment on the town. Old steel town just outside Pittsburgh that's trying to battle back from the steel industry bust.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 05:39:35 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB