Author Topic: Walking dead season 5 (Spoilers)  (Read 54453 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Walking dead season 5 (Spoilers)
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2015, 01:39:44 PM »
My gut says that where this will depart from the comic is there is something more to Alexandria than meets the eye. And in the comics, Alexandria eventually fell.

One possible twist: not everyone in Rick's group passes the audition.  Then the group will have to decide whether or not to stick together.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2015, 01:43:36 PM »
Yep, they cleared route 16, but not 23...

That would be great if they were in far, far, and I mean FAR fricking western Virginia and were pretty much headed over the Blue Ridge into Kentucky.

Not so great for getting anywhere near "Alexandria."

And there is NOWHERE in Virginia that they could have gotten that view out of the window of the RV. The elevation was far too high. There are a few places on the Virginia side that are a little higher, than the Washington side, but nothing like that.

I THINK in the comic they go to Alexandria city, which has been cordoned off. If they were that close to be able to see DC as they were, they were a lot more than half way there. They were almost there.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2015, 01:54:25 PM »
One possible twist: not everyone in Rick's group passes the audition.  Then the group will have to decide whether or not to stick together.

OOOOOhhh I like the way you think.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2015, 08:47:50 PM »
Watching the show and reading the comic, I know they can't just do everything sensibly. The plot would be boring if they did. But geez I can't believe how many of them go toe to toe with the walkers with small meelee weapons like a knife.  The first thing I'd re-invent would be spears with those cross guards that keep whatever you've speared from pushing up to you. If I had better resources, I'd make halberds.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2015, 10:31:52 PM »
Always said that Michone has it right.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re:
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2015, 10:47:27 PM »
Always said that Michone has it right.

I saw Rick was using a sword or machete in this week's episode as well. I'm also in the "why are they using knives?" camp. Even if you wanna be a bad ass, or even if getting zombie juice on you won't infect you, why the heck do you want the gore and smell all over you (other than for camouflage when sneaking through a hoard)?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2015, 12:42:04 AM »
I saw Rick was using a sword or machete in this week's episode as well. I'm also in the "why are they using knives?" camp. Even if you wanna be a bad ass, or even if getting zombie juice on you won't infect you, why the heck do you want the gore and smell all over you (other than for camouflage when sneaking through a hoard)?

I thought the intent was to conserve ammunition (although I agree that spears would be a really good idea, and isn't there at least one M44 in the group?  Extend that bayonet and have at 'em).

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2015, 01:07:20 AM »
I thought the intent was to conserve ammunition (although I agree that spears would be a really good idea, and isn't there at least one M44 in the group?  Extend that bayonet and have at 'em).

Yeah, sorry, I should have been more concise. They're conserving ammo, but choosing a poor weapon to do so.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #133 on: February 24, 2015, 07:40:23 AM »
The whole thing is apparently filmed in a very small slice of Georgia, so no surprise about the sandy soil and pine woods.

And yes, I had the exact same thought about water, Chris. You generally can't go for more than a few miles in this area without crossing a body of water of some type.

Noah's house was supposedly in Richmond, so they'd be coming up roughly the 95 corridor. 60 miles south of DC would be down around the Falmouth area, a bit south of that, actually.

A look at google maps shows just how frigging much water they would be crossing, and how much they would be passing. Most of it wouldn't be visible from 95, but they would notice the streams they would be going over.

Oh, and what's the very best thing to do when you're dehydrated? Marching down the middle of a sun-baked highway in the full sun.  ;/

Yep, they cleared route 16, but not 23...

That would be great if they were in far, far, and I mean FAR fricking western Virginia and were pretty much headed over the Blue Ridge into Kentucky.

Not so great for getting anywhere near "Alexandria."

And there is NOWHERE in Virginia that they could have gotten that view out of the window of the RV. The elevation was far too high. There are a few places on the Virginia side that are a little higher, than the Washington side, but nothing like that.

I THINK in the comic they go to Alexandria city, which has been cordoned off. If they were that close to be able to see DC as they were, they were a lot more than half way there. They were almost there.

Yeah, I know it's not filmed in VA, but it's so far off from the terrain and geography of Central to Northern VA, it's distracting.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2015, 10:35:08 AM »
Yeah, I know it's not filmed in VA, but it's so far off from the terrain and geography of Central to Northern VA, it's distracting.

Chris

SUSPEND YOUR BELIEF!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2015, 03:31:52 PM »
I actually think the gayzor thing indicates safety.  They get to be all lovey dovey and be themselves.  Which makes me think that despite the best laid defenses, there is some kind of softness to the Alexandria group that will make them vulnerable.
And everytime this group has been comfortable for too long...that comes to a violent end.

in the preview the new group tells the ricktators they have to disarm, indicating they're up to no good or stupid.
I'm going with simpleminded liberals that have not learned yet just how dangerous it truly is out there
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2015, 06:28:38 PM »
Watching the show and reading the comic, I know they can't just do everything sensibly. The plot would be boring if they did. But geez I can't believe how many of them go toe to toe with the walkers with small meelee weapons like a knife.  The first thing I'd re-invent would be spears with those cross guards that keep whatever you've speared from pushing up to you. If I had better resources, I'd make halberds.

Boar spear. An aluminum pool vacuum/net handle filed to a point, or a shovel/rake haft with a spike lashed to it, would make more sense than using a knife in hand.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

erictank

• friends
« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2015, 09:17:51 AM »
in the preview the new group tells the ricktators they have to disarm, indicating they're up to no good or stupid.
I'm going with simpleminded liberals that have not learned yet just how dangerous it truly is out there

They seem to be letting Daryl keep the crossbow, and no one seems to be turning in edged weapons. Only the guns are on the "turn 'em in when you're in town" list. Kinda Old-West of them, and not necessarily the smartest thing in the world.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2015, 11:00:45 AM »
They seem to be letting Daryl keep the crossbow, and no one seems to be turning in edged weapons. Only the guns are on the "turn 'em in when you're in town" list. Kinda Old-West of them, and not necessarily the smartest thing in the world.

Reliance on exterior barriers with no interior defense. This is bad juju. I suspect it will have plot ramifications...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2015, 12:52:43 PM »
Those two alpha twerps who wanna call all the shots are gonna cause problems .....  [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2015, 01:21:11 PM »
Aye.  Lots of potential for things to get sideways. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2015, 01:57:43 PM »
Those two alpha twerps who wanna call all the shots are gonna cause problems .....  [popcorn]

Yup.  The mall ninja is strong with those two.

Rick's comment at the end about possibly taking control of Alexandria got my attention.  Is this setting up a situation with Rick as a counterpoint to the Governor in Woodbury?   Rick is much more benign, but I can see how he might go down a similar path, taking control because he feels it's necessary for his group's survival.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2015, 02:08:59 PM »
Okay so my gut says a couple things are coming up

1) Girl sneaking off into the woods.  why?  The Congresswoman mentioned exiling a couple men.  Could one have been her father or boyfriend?  She taking supplies to them?
2) We know there is an outside group.  Maybe she's the insider/spy for that group.
3)  My gut says that group will try to take Alexandria.  The defense is weak but Rick leads the way and saves the place, thus leading to a coup.
4) Next season the walls come down.
JD

HankB

• friend
« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2015, 10:41:20 PM »
Who took the gun Rick hid in the black container outside the walls?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

erictank

• friends
« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2015, 09:13:42 AM »
Why are the supports for the walls OUTSIDE the walls?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2015, 10:22:07 AM »
Why are the supports for the walls OUTSIDE the walls?

The congresswoman's husband was an engineer, she didn't say he was a good one.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2015, 12:30:32 PM »
Who took the gun Rick hid in the black container outside the walls?

imo blender gun was taken by one of the exiles, he also left the walker hidden under the rug as a trap...not a very nice thing to do.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2015, 01:01:13 PM »
imo blender gun was taken by one of the exiles, he also left the walker hidden under the rug as a trap...not a very nice thing to do.

Interesting point.

I wonder if the exiles are affiliated with the group that attacked the other neighborhood (I can't remember the name; the one where Tyreese was bitten).  I figure it's only a matter of time before they hit Alexandria.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2015, 12:26:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure some of them know something is up, or are at least heavily on guard. Daryl outwardly, and I think Carol was doing the total "throwing them off the trail" thing with her Suzie Homemaker interview talking about how much she missed her dead, abusive husband, etc. Also, it looked like she was fumbling her rifle when she put it on the cart, as if to look amateur. Rick, Carol, and Daryl seem to be in clandestine cahoots.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2015, 06:52:45 AM »
Considering her origins, Carol's recent actions illustrate very well that she's "born again hard". 

Chris