Author Topic: Walking dead season 5 (Spoilers)  (Read 54470 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Walking dead season 5 (Spoilers)
« Reply #200 on: March 22, 2015, 01:38:10 PM »
"Can you afford to kill him in the post-apocalypse?"

Same thought crossed my mind, as well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #201 on: March 22, 2015, 09:30:01 PM »
I thought that was a big reason behind the death of Noah; it removes an immediate and apparent need.  Gone is the guy that probably could have used a bit of surgery to improve his leg. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #202 on: March 22, 2015, 11:01:38 PM »
I see Rick has finally in Ricktator meltdown mode.  And Michonne took him out of the fray!  Atleast she didn't use her katana. =D

Things are looking to get more interesting next week.    [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #203 on: March 22, 2015, 11:21:45 PM »
Looks like a few of them are on their way to cuckooland. I was kinda surprised that zombie-hardened Rick took that much of a licking from one of the soft people behind the wall. I was figuring it would be a one punch knockout.

There's potential for another group split for the season finale.

For a firearms nitpick: They have a whole freakin' armory in that place. Why in hell would Daryl's buddy checkout a snubby as his only firearm to go outside the wall? If I'm going out scavenging or whatever, I'm taking at least a rifle every damn time - for the deadly people if not for the walkers.

Also interesting that the coward pulled a Glock out of that coffee can.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

JN01

• friend
« Reply #204 on: March 23, 2015, 12:56:55 AM »

For a firearms nitpick: They have a whole freakin' armory in that place. Why in hell would Daryl's buddy checkout a snubby as his only firearm to go outside the wall?

He tried using an autoloading pistol, but kept limp wristing it.  =)  I noticed that too. Five or six shots and a slow reload wouldn't be optimal when a herd of walkers pops up.

I wonder if Mr. Spineless intends to keep his secret safe by taking out Glen.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #205 on: March 23, 2015, 01:13:39 AM »
Looks like a few of them are on their way to cuckooland. I was kinda surprised that zombie-hardened Rick took that much of a licking from one of the soft people behind the wall. I was figuring it would be a one punch knockout.

Pete had more practice from beating on his wife.

There's potential for another group split for the season finale.

Yup, some folks are going to be exiled.

For a firearms nitpick: They have a whole freakin' armory in that place. Why in hell would Daryl's buddy checkout a snubby as his only firearm to go outside the wall? If I'm going out scavenging or whatever, I'm taking at least a rifle every damn time - for the deadly people if not for the walkers.

Because it matched his outfit?

That's not the same Glock that Rick hid in the blender, is it?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #206 on: March 23, 2015, 06:27:43 AM »
Mean drunk fighting for his property.  He's bigger than rick by a solid 20 pounds too.

Season finale is going to be sporty.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #207 on: March 23, 2015, 09:32:28 AM »

That's what I was wondering.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #208 on: March 23, 2015, 01:59:12 PM »

It was the same Glock. There was a big number or letter on the grip.

I also wondered why the one guy would have that snubnose, not the most accurate thing in the world at distance.

Of course suspension of disbelief, when it comes down to it a Katana nor a crossbow are really all that practical either.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #209 on: March 23, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
A katana is monumentally practical in a zombie apocalypse, especially when they're drawn by sound...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #210 on: March 24, 2015, 10:38:46 AM »
A katana is monumentally practical in a zombie apocalypse, especially when they're drawn by sound...

Isn't that why we're all putting swords in our SHTF kits?   ;)

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #211 on: March 24, 2015, 10:42:37 AM »
Isn't that why we're all putting swords in our SHTF kits?   ;)

Mine goes on top of my tactical wheelbarrow.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #212 on: March 24, 2015, 11:12:49 AM »
Mine goes on top of my tactical wheelbarrow.

Right along with the additional trauma plates.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #213 on: March 24, 2015, 12:12:38 PM »
Isn't that why we're all putting swords in our SHTF kits?   ;)

Chris, firearms are really nice in a SHTF situation.  in a Zombie Apocalypse, however (and mind you I am here taking the premise of the TV series literally) one might, at some point, just not be able to get to the local Sam's Sporting Goods and replenish one's supply of 5.56mm, .22RF, .30-30, .25ACP, 9mm., .45ACP, 600 Nitro Express, or <insert favorite caliber here>.
A Katana, sword, kukri, pike,  broadsword and similar weapon might be a really good idea as you don't need to "feed" them for them to work.   Inconvenient as they only work close up, true, but there is likely a time that will come when one may really appreciate having such a weapon in one's remora.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #214 on: March 24, 2015, 06:53:34 PM »
Chris, firearms are really nice in a SHTF situation.  in a Zombie Apocalypse, however (and mind you I am here taking the premise of the TV series literally) one might, at some point, just not be able to get to the local Sam's Sporting Goods and replenish one's supply of 5.56mm, .22RF, .30-30, .25ACP, 9mm., .45ACP, 600 Nitro Express, or <insert favorite caliber here>.
A Katana, sword, kukri, pike,  broadsword and similar weapon might be a really good idea as you don't need to "feed" them for them to work.   Inconvenient as they only work close up, true, but there is likely a time that will come when one may really appreciate having such a weapon in one's remora.

Something like a Katana requires a pretty specialized skill set to use effectively. Realistically as well I don't se one lasting the constant cutting through bone and skulls the way she does. I also think the decapitated heads would eventually lead to an unfortunate incident of someone getting bit by a flying head. Hence the need for suspension of disbelief.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #215 on: March 24, 2015, 07:12:27 PM »

You are very much correct.  In the Walking Dead world, I would indeed want a silent weapon that was not dependent on ammo supplies.  A sword might be a really good choice.  I was joking about adding one to my TV kit.  I already have one.   ;)

I do have a sword.  Not in my kit, though.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #216 on: March 24, 2015, 07:26:05 PM »
I'm surprised they never developed any sort of light soft armor to counter the zombie bites... Thick canvas would do just fine, leather even better. I mean c'mon.. their SOP is grappling with zombies and stabbing them in the head? And the is no mention of having to wash up afterwards or clean their tools...  Really, that's the messiest, riskiest approach you can take, zombie goo all over, getting into any scratches you might have.

Also, when only head shots count and "quiet" just might keep you out of a horde, a suppressed .22LR would be a very desirable weapon to have. Have not seen ANY of those. Not one.. NOT ONE!!!  :mad:. Picture Ruger 10/22 Charger with 25 round mag and integral suppressor.

I enjoy the series but some things make me go  :facepalm:
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #217 on: March 24, 2015, 07:56:03 PM »
Something like a Katana requires a pretty specialized skill set to use effectively. Realistically as well I don't se one lasting the constant cutting through bone and skulls the way she does. I also think the decapitated heads would eventually lead to an unfortunate incident of someone getting bit by a flying head. Hence the need for suspension of disbelief.

OK, maybe not a katana per se, but a sword or pike .... something you don't have to "feed."

I'm surprised they never developed any sort of light soft armor to counter the zombie bites... Thick canvas would do just fine, leather even better. I mean c'mon.. their SOP is grappling with zombies and stabbing them in the head? And the is no mention of having to wash up afterwards or clean their tools...  Really, that's the messiest, riskiest approach you can take, zombie goo all over, getting into any scratches you might have.

Also, when only head shots count and "quiet" just might keep you out of a horde, a suppressed .22LR would be a very desirable weapon to have. Have not seen ANY of those. Not one.. NOT ONE!!!  :mad:. Picture Ruger 10/22 Charger with 25 round mag and integral suppressor.

I enjoy the series but some things make me go  :facepalm:

Another good idea.   It might make one awfully sweaty in the Georgia summer ...but atleast one has protection.

They do have suppresssed weapons but IIRC, no .22s   Maybe 22 is as rare in their world as it is in ours ....

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #218 on: March 24, 2015, 08:27:33 PM »
Realistically suppressing a .22lr is a bit hit or miss if you want it it reliably function in a semi-auto. Most .22lr tends to break the sound barrier, especially through longer barrels. A susbsonic 9mm load or .45ACP is a bit more reliable. 9mm that is subsonic requires a 147+ grain bullet with most commercial loads and is somewhat uncommon on store shelves, never mind random finds in the ZA. 45ACP is mostly subsonic by default.

This brings up another issue I have with the last episode, was it Sasha shooting from the tower and then in the woods with what was probably a .223 AR that was making the movie silencer sound."? A .223 is loud through a suppressor in reality, you can kind of get away without ears; but there is no doubt at all people (zombies) would know someone was shooting (making loud noises).

I own suppressors in all of the calibeers listed above, so once again when watching the show suspension of disbelief, but I sometimes still cringe at the non-reality.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #219 on: March 24, 2015, 08:29:06 PM »
Right along with the additional trauma plates.

I thought those were duct-taped to his back.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #220 on: March 24, 2015, 11:08:31 PM »
I'm surprised they never developed any sort of light soft armor to counter the zombie bites... Thick canvas would do just fine, leather even better.

Glenn and others wore some armor at the prison, but yeah you'd think they'd try to improvise something for everyone
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #221 on: March 25, 2015, 05:41:05 AM »
"Something like a Katana requires a pretty specialized skill set to use effectively."

Realistically, no more so than any other cutting weapon in such a situation, and it's something that's going to be learned pretty quickly. You're not going up against samurai walkers... just run of the mill southern walkers.

And, any bladed weapon is going to get nicked and dull chopping through bones and such. That's addressed with maintenance.

But remember, it's pretty evident from the way they stick a knife through a skull and the like, that once you turn into a zombie, your bones turn into marshmallow fluff.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #222 on: March 25, 2015, 05:44:04 AM »
"I'm surprised they never developed any sort of light soft armor to counter the zombie bites... Thick canvas would do just fine, leather even better."

Even a jeans jacket and canvas work gloves would provide a lot of protection. A couple of seasons ago on Talking Dead they had a guy giving tips on how to survive the apocalypse, and one of the tricks he showed was using duct tape to armor a hoodie. Wouldn't last forever, especially in hot weather, but inexpensive.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #223 on: March 25, 2015, 05:50:43 AM »
If I were in a zombie situation, the first place I'd head (if I were still in the DC metro area) would be either the American History museum or the Freer Art Gallery at the Smithsonian. Their holdings include dozens, if not hundreds, of authentic Japanese katanas.

If I were in Pennsylvania, I'd head either to the Pennsylvania State Museum in Harrisburg or the Pennsylvania Military Museum in Boalsburg for the same reason. When I worked in the PA museum system in the 1980s they had dozens of katanas (most of them still incredibly sharp) that were captured by US troops during WW II. Even a run of the mill Imperial Japanese military katana is going to be tons better than one of the pieces of crap that you get from a place like US Cavalry here in the US.

A Nepalese kukri wouldn't be a bad choice, either.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #224 on: March 25, 2015, 08:50:38 AM »
"Something like a Katana requires a pretty specialized skill set to use effectively."

Realistically, no more so than any other cutting weapon in such a situation, and it's something that's going to be learned pretty quickly. You're not going up against samurai walkers... just run of the mill southern walkers.

And, any bladed weapon is going to get nicked and dull chopping through bones and such. That's addressed with maintenance.

But remember, it's pretty evident from the way they stick a knife through a skull and the like, that once you turn into a zombie, your bones turn into marshmallow fluff.

After 2-3 years of decomposing? Yeah, they probably are going to be softer than when the owners were living.