Author Topic: Mr. Fusion Is Here!  (Read 2828 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Mr. Fusion Is Here!
« on: October 15, 2014, 12:49:03 PM »
http://aviationweek.com/technology/skunk-works-reveals-compact-fusion-reactor-details

Hidden away in the secret depths of the Skunk Works, a Lockheed Martin research team has been working quietly on a nuclear energy concept they believe has the potential to meet, if not eventually decrease, the world’s insatiable demand for power.

Dubbed the compact fusion reactor (CFR), the device is conceptually safer, cleaner and more powerful than much larger, current nuclear systems that rely on fission, the process of splitting atoms to release energy. Crucially, by being “compact,” Lockheed believes its scalable concept will also be small and practical enough for applications ranging from interplanetary spacecraft and commercial ships to city power stations. It may even revive the concept of large, nuclear-powered aircraft that virtually never require refueling—ideas of which were largely abandoned more than 50 years ago because of the dangers and complexities involved with nuclear fission reactors.

I want my nuclear bombers to be nuclear powered, dammit!

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Mr. Fusion Is Here!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 12:59:51 PM »
Considering how much time and money has been thrown at compact nuclear power plants for subs and satellites (the kind you don't want big reflective solar panels on...) and then alternatives to fission for these systems, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess our undeclared capabilities in this area might surprise people greatly. :D

And "Son of Cold Fusion" or LENR's (Low Energy Nuclear Reactors) just never seems to die.

http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/magazine/physicstoday/news/10.1063/PT.4.2409

There's finally some leaks in the "nothing's peer reviewed" dam going on.

I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 01:34:41 PM »
http://aviationweek.com/technology/skunk-works-reveals-compact-fusion-reactor-details

I want my nuclear bombers to be nuclear powered, dammit!

Or any large aircraft: nuclear generator to power electric "turbo-fans"  :cool:

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 01:39:47 PM »
Fusion power is only 30 years away.

As it has been since 1960.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 02:10:14 PM »
Fusion power is only 30 years away.

As it has been since 1960.

There's someone who hasn't seen Back to the Future II!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 02:29:32 PM »
Unless they're using some of the more exotic fusion formulas, (Mining residual solar wind He3 from the moondust?) Free Mean Path, and/or Attenuation Length are going to mean you don't want to sit too close to one of these, or have one between your legs on a fusion powered motorcycle any time soon.

Plus neutron activation of some of the reactor structures is going to be a problem eventually. Although it's trivial as compared to fission waste.

A complete WAG I admit, but there's people chasing fusion from so many angles and with different schemes now, I have a gut feeling the odds are looking good one will pay off.

I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 03:12:39 PM »
If they can make it small enough, it could give an entire new meaning to the term "nuclear family."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 03:18:31 PM »
If they can make it small enough, it could give an entire new meaning to the term "nuclear family."

Full cycle back to the farm electrical power units, instead of gasoline it is nuclear!

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 08:50:24 PM »
"And the heads of many enviro-hippies exploded at the prospect of nuclear power, nuclear power everywhere!"...and the surviving ones cried themselves to sleep with "well we still have wind farms and solar"

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 09:10:04 PM »
Somewhere in the deep recesses of my memory, I remember reading about a "tiny' nuclear power source. It looked like a football about 4 feet long an 2 or 3 feet tall. There were a pair of terminals to attach your load to and it was claim it would produce 3kW DC for years. Was supposed to weigh a couple 3 hundred pounds with no moving parts. It was in "Popular Science/ Pop Mechanics" in the mid 60's then disappeared. Anybody ever hear about these or did my fevered pre-teen brain remember something completely wrong?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 09:47:26 PM »
Somewhere in the deep recesses of my memory, I remember reading about a "tiny' nuclear power source. It looked like a football about 4 feet long an 2 or 3 feet tall. There were a pair of terminals to attach your load to and it was claim it would produce 3kW DC for years. Was supposed to weigh a couple 3 hundred pounds with no moving parts. It was in "Popular Science/ Pop Mechanics" in the mid 60's then disappeared. Anybody ever hear about these or did my fevered pre-teen brain remember something completely wrong?

Unlikely, or just speculation on the part of  the writer that denies basic physics.

If it produced 3kW of electricity, no conversion process is perfect, or even close to 100% efficient so that means some part of such a "football sized nuclear power supply" would have to be making more than  3kW  of HEAT.

That's kinda spicy.

The RTG's of space probes are actually smaller than this,  and use the heat of decaying Plutonium to drive thermocouples with a cold side against space, but they make nowhere near 3kW.

The Curiosity rover's plutonium dioxide pellet(s?) was glowing red hot at about 2kW of thermal power at launch, but it only produces something less than 125W of DC. And being on Mars nobody gives a damn about shielding beyond protecting the insturments from interference.

And that's with whatever extra efficiency the -100F or whatever the Martian temp is gives the thermoelectric cells in heat differential.

There are betatovic power supplies that create electricity directly from nuclear decay, they somehow capture the high velocity electrons (beta particles) from tritium decay, but they're nowhere near that kind of electric output.

IIRC they were used as experimental pacemaker batteries for a time. :tinfoil:

I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 10:10:38 PM »
So you are saying we are killing the Martians.  They ae going to be pissed.  Better make sure you have a Slim Whitman CD handy. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 10:24:09 PM »
So you are saying we are killing the Martians.  They are going to be pissed.  Better make sure you have a Slim Whitman CD handy. 

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 11:44:10 PM »
We tried the small thing a couple of times.
PM-2A was run by the army in Greenland
PM-3A was run by the navy and Mcmurdo station.
I think these were the only 2 small reactors that saw use more than testing.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 06:51:09 AM »
The Soviet Union had truckmobile nuclear power plants since the 1960s.

TES-3 and Pamir, they were called. I posted pictures of them in this forum.

The antinuclear hysteria killed Pamir after the first few plants were made.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 03:26:00 PM »
In other news the E-Cat supposedly passed a third party verification. They won't call it cold fusion but it generated more heat than power it took to start it up.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/191754-cold-fusion-reactor-verified-by-third-party-researchers-seems-to-have-1-million-times-the-energy-density-of-gasoline

Isn't there anyone around here that can calm the irrational exuberance about fusion?  :laugh:

edited for accuracy
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 05:35:16 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 03:33:24 PM »
Isn't there anyone around here that can calm the irrational exuberance about fusion?  :laugh:

Yeah, I figured birdman would be here by now.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 04:00:14 PM »
In other news the E-Cat supposedly passed a third party verification. They won't call it cold fusion but it generated more power than it took to start it up.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/191754-cold-fusion-reactor-verified-by-third-party-researchers-seems-to-have-1-million-times-the-energy-density-of-gasoline

Isn't there anyone around here that can calm the irrational exuberance about fusion?  :laugh:

Yeah... they're getting almost 4:1 output from it... if it's true. The additional third-party researchers "confirming" is a big hurdle. But that's not all the way there. There could be some sort of big glaring hole in their methodology or instrumentation they're missing. Although I kind of think 4:1 output, and the nickel coming out as a different isotope is kind of hard to fudge up.  ???

That said, there's been bigger "verified" scientific results than this that have proven to be complete bunk in history that have been "reproduced" and "accepted" by many institutions.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:03:41 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 04:13:04 PM »
An actual isotope shift!  Interesting!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 04:28:57 PM »
Isn't there anyone around here that can calm the irrational exuberance about fusion?  :laugh:

There seems to be a proFusion of conFusion  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 04:48:48 PM »
An actual isotope shift!  Interesting!

Yah... and THAT is what's giving me gooseflesh when I read it. More than the heat output.

The unused fuel shows the natural isotope composition from both SIMS and ICP-MS, i.e.
58Ni (68.1%), 60Ni (26.2%), 61Ni (1.1%), 62Ni (3.6%), and 64Ni (0.9%),

whereas the ash composition from
SIMS is: 58Ni (0.8.%), 60Ni (0.5%), 61Ni (0%), 62Ni (98.7%), 64Ni (0%), and from ICP-MS: 58Ni (0.8%), 60Ni
(0.3%), 61Ni (0%), 62Ni (99.3%), 64Ni (0%). We note that the SIMS and ICP-MS give the same values within
the estimated 3% error in the given percentages.

I can't fathom any simple mechanism of heat or chemistry, or electron shells causing nuclear isotopic changes in a metal.  [tinfoil]
I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 05:18:16 PM »
No Eludium Q36? Where's the Eludium Q36!?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Mr. Fusion Is Here!
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 05:19:23 PM »
Yah... and THAT is what's giving me gooseflesh when I read it. More than the heat output.

I can't fathom any simple mechanism of heat or chemistry, or electron shells causing nuclear isotopic changes in a metal.  [tinfoil]
Eh. Go back a few hundred years and no one would conceive of a lot of our technology, particularly beyond the theories or in their most basic forms or how to take them from theory to practical application.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2014, 04:38:50 PM »
In other news the E-Cat supposedly passed a third party verification. They won't call it cold fusion but it generated more heat than power it took to start it up.

edited for accuracy

Doesn't work.  The fact no one has done the obvious experiment with it yet (insulated self-contained power source in a vacuum isolated container to measure heat production) screams fraud.
Also, "verification" is the same BS methods as before but now with more pseudo-precision.
Also, how does the excess heat get out of the 1g of powder to the container without vaporizing the powder...given that its MW/kg supposedly...that powder should be heated beyond its boiling point...yet it still comes out as powder...not a thin sheen on the inside of the tube...meaning all the energy goes into container...further BS.
Also, its CLAIMED BEST CASE 4:1 is heat out to electricity in.
Think about that for a moment.
I put 1000J of electricity in, and get 4000J of heat out...so, now I put it into a heat engine of maybe 35-40% efficiency, get 1600J electricity out, put 1000J back in and I am left with a net of 600J.
So even if it works, its crap. As even their "theoretical" is halfway on the edge of requiring more electricity than it makes.

Further more:
The electricity is turned into heat inside the device (resistance in a wire), NOTHING MORE, they don't even IMPLY its used for anything else (like some weird electrochemical BS since the current goes through a solution a la P&F  As such...would it be self-sustaining?  Why is further electricity needed? 

Total. BS.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2014, 06:09:51 PM »
"Verification" . . . right.

Some years back, a guy in MN had a "more than 100% efficient" furnace based on extracting heat from circulating hydraulic fluid. Professors at U of MN measured energy input, airflow, input and output temperatures, and shook their heads in amazement . . . it DID seem to be verified as being strikingly efficient.

Until someone noticed that they were measuring input and output air temperatures in degrees Centigrade rather than degrees Kelvin, at which point their sense of amazement turned to a sense of embarassment . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain