Author Topic: Wow, the Opposite of Zero Tolerance!  (Read 4493 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Wow, the Opposite of Zero Tolerance!
« on: October 15, 2014, 09:23:16 PM »
I'm impressed. Utah State at Logan "stuck to their guns" and told a Feminist speaker they would not ban guns at the University the day of her speech. She canceled, but they didn't back down.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/15/feminist-critic-cancels-talk-at-utah-college-over-open-carry-law-after-mass/?intcmp=latestnews
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Wow, the Opposite of Zero Tolerance!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 10:41:35 PM »
No one felt like breaking state law for her.  I'm sure her speech won't be missed...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 10:59:21 PM »
Has "hashtag Gamergate" been discussed here, yet?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 01:37:16 AM »
Everybody wins.  That doesn't happen very often.

I wonder if the "mass shooting threat" was real, or if she set that up to create the illusion that she was important or something?   [tinfoil]
"It's good, though..."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 08:30:41 AM »
Everybody wins.  That doesn't happen very often.

I wonder if the "mass shooting threat" was real, or if she set that up to create the illusion that she was important or something?   [tinfoil]
I call false flag.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 09:23:12 AM »
Everybody wins.  That doesn't happen very often.

I wonder if the "mass shooting threat" was real, or if she set that up to create the illusion that she was important or something?   [tinfoil]

The sentence, "University spokesman Tim Vitale says the FBI told school officials the threat was consistent with ones Sarkeesian receives when she gives speeches elsewhere." made me think the same thing.

So, when are the protests over "discrimination" going to start?  Don't the professional Demonstration Organizers have pre-printed signs and banners for every occasion?

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:27:12 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 01:52:26 PM »
So, when are the protests over "discrimination" going to start?  Don't the professional Demonstration Organizers have pre-printed signs and banners for every occasion?

Oh they started up quickly yesterday:

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 01:57:04 PM »
No one felt like breaking state law for her.

And if for some reason they believed it, nobody wanted to create an unarmed victim zone...or miss the spectacle of what would happen if someone tried a mass shooting of armed victims.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 02:03:16 PM »
How very convenient. Anita Sarkeesian cancelled her speech one or two days ago, citing threats as the reason. Today, she's in the New York Times, spewing her bullshit. At the same time, several other newspapers and online publications go on another offensive against GamerGate. I smell false flag.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 09:45:50 AM »
Some of the State Rifle Associations ought to invite her to speak just to see what happens.  >:D

I, too, wonder if all those cancellations are part of a strategy to boost her publicity.  Certainly those cancellations, possibly due to false flag operations, must cut into her speaking income, so there might be a hidden "end game" involved.

I note this, from "How does one get gigs on the "lecture circuit"?

http://www.fluther.com/135821/how-does-one-get-gigs-on-the-lecture-circuit/

Great question. I wonder this myself. It seems like a catch 22 – the more people you know the more opportunity comes your way, but you get to know people by getting your name out through these very same opportunities. But where do you start?! I think you have to figure out a way to brand yourself so that when the media wants to write/do a story on topic X, the first person they think of for an interview is you.

"Follow the money" is an old expression which explains a lot of human  motivation.

Perhaps here, too.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 09:54:35 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 10:38:24 AM »
Some of the State Rifle Associations ought to invite her to speak just to see what happens.  >:D

I, too, wonder if all those cancellations are part of a strategy to boost her publicity.  Certainly those cancellations, possibly due to false flag operations, must cut into her speaking income, so there might be a hidden "end game" involved.

I note this, from "How does one get gigs on the "lecture circuit"?

http://www.fluther.com/135821/how-does-one-get-gigs-on-the-lecture-circuit/

"Follow the money" is an old expression which explains a lot of human  motivation.

Perhaps here, too.

Terry, 230RN
She got more than $100k in Kickstarter donations to produce her Youtube series. Her goal was $6k, so I don't think she's hurting for money.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
I find it interesting that reading a statement from the school, the police and FBI stated that there was *NOT* a credible threat to Ms. Moonbat.  

From: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/10/robert-farago/utah-pres-and-provost-to-anita-sarkeesian-wattsa-matta-u/

Dear Students, Staff and Faculty,

As you are aware, several USU staff members received a threatening email at 10:15 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 13 regarding Anita Sarkeesian’s talk scheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 15. As you probably have read, this email threatened both Ms. Sarkeesian and those who attended her event.

The safety of our students, staff and USU community is paramount to us. USU police were contacted immediately, as were state and federal agencies, including the Utah Statewide Information and Analysis Center, the FBI Cyber Terrorism Task Force, and the FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit.

Prior to the threat, USU police were already making preparations for security as Ms. Sarkeesian had received threats in the past. After receiving the email, USU police added heightened security measures, including securing the Taggart Student Center auditorium far in advance, ensuring her safety to and from the event, and bringing in additional uniformed and plain-clothed police officers.

Throughout the day, Tuesday, Oct. 14, USU police and administrators worked with state and federal law enforcement agencies to assess the threat to our USU community and Ms. Sarkeesian. Together, we determined that there was no credible threat to students, staff or the speaker, and that this letter was intended to frighten the university into cancelling [sic] the event.

The safety and protection of students and those who attend our events is our foremost priority at Utah State. But we are also an institution of higher learning. In this case, the Center for Women and Gender had invited a nationally known speaker to bring her perspective about an important topic to USU. After a full assessment of the situation, the USU administration, in consultation with law enforcement, chose to continue with the event.

When our law enforcement personnel spoke about security measures, she was concerned that state law prevented the university from keeping people with legal concealed firearm permits from entering the event, and chose to cancel. As a Utah public institution, we follow state law. The Utah law provides that people who legally possess a concealed firearm permit are allowed to carry a firearm on public property, like the USU campus.

We are disappointed that students and other community members did not benefit from her presentation. While we will always prioritize the safety of our community, no threat changes Utah State University’s unwavering advocacy of academic freedom and free speech rights of everyone.

Sincerely,

Stan L. Albrecht, President

Noelle Cockett, Vice-President and Provost

The above is the letter from the President and Provost of USU.....   The important parts are the bold text I think.  I will not at all be surprised if the threatener is somehow connected to the threatenee...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:56:11 AM by AmbulanceDriver »
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 11:03:16 AM »

Was there some sort of "non-refundable deposit" to get on her schedule?  Classic scam; charge them an up front percentage, then find a reason to cancel while keeping that money.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 03:06:49 PM »
The people over at /r/kotakuinaction on Reddit have been contacting advertisers for the various media sites that have been spewing lies about GamerGate. Yesterday or the day before, Mercedez Benz pulled all of their advertising with Gawker Media after one of their writers suggested bullying was hilarious and something that should be done. I'm sure the guys over at Jalopnik (car blog) are pleased with the idiot over at Gawker. More companies will likely pull their advertising too. Intel did the same just last week or so after Gamasutra went really out of their way to antagonize their readers (who are potential Intel customers).

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 04:43:33 AM »
She got more than $100k in Kickstarter donations to produce her Youtube series. Her goal was $6k, so I don't think she's hurting for money.

$150k and after the "threat that made her leave her home" she (within an hour) asked for more money.

Draw to your own conclusion.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 05:45:19 AM »
Wait wait wait wait.

This is the same Anita Sarkeesian of gamergate AND feminist frequency?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 07:15:25 AM »
The very same.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 04:39:13 AM »
That is just sad.

Some of the Feminist Frequency videos were interesting (even though she sometimes went into bat**** insane world), but is seems she's venturing further and further into OMGBBQ levels of crazy, possibly for profit.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 08:08:56 AM »

And now I discovered I am wrong, Gamergate is actually about a different game critic.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 08:30:39 AM »
And now I discovered I am wrong, Gamergate is actually about a different game critic.

To be clear, it is about the pinkshirt mentioned in the OP, Anita Sarkeesian.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 09:10:43 AM »
Isn't the point of Gamergate that another game critic (named Quinn) has supposedly slept with several men in the industry to promote her writings?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 09:43:22 AM »
Uh... wtf is "gamergate"?  ???

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2014, 10:48:22 AM »
WOW!

The Republicans need her on their PR team. The "terrorist threats" (plural) at Utah State are already included in her article on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Sarkeesian

"Never let a crisis go to waste."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2014, 10:52:07 AM »
I've got to call the false flag suspicions silly. She is an internet celebrity. There are trolls and crazies aplenty. The Q is credible threat and the findings of everyone paid to know about that sort of thing is there was none. So it was about her comfort. Surprise surprise, she doesn't like guns and thinks the world should accommodate her triggers.
 This, like gamergate, is just another excuse to let all the nutters   from all corners come out and Be Heard. Thanks internet. We will tackle productive discourse someday right?
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2014, 12:43:03 PM »
This comes to mind, for some odd reason....
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour