Author Topic: Millennials hate voice mail and so do I  (Read 2793 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Millennials hate voice mail and so do I
« on: October 23, 2014, 05:28:24 PM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/10/23/358301467/please-do-not-leave-a-message-why-millennials-hate-voice-mail?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

I dislike it for two reasons:

It is awkward for me to retrieve my voice mails, especially when away from my office phone, what with all the codes and keypresses
As a hard of hearing person, if you do not speak clearly and with sufficient volume, I cannot understand your message

I much prefer email: I can respond much quicker, from anywhere, using a variety of technologies, and it leaves a written record, which is valuable in my line of work.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Millennials hate voice mail and so do I
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 05:55:36 PM »
I'm on the younger side of Gen X, and I hate voice mail really bad. At previous jobs, when my cell phone was an important part of the job, I found it very clumsy and frustrating. Don't quite remember why.

When I leave one, I give my name and number right up front, so the recipient can just write down the number, and not have to listen to the whole thing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 06:17:04 PM »
Right there with you.  If a coworker needs something from me and I am not at my desk, it would work a lot better to just send me an email.  It usually would work better if they just sent an email instead of calling at all and spent a minute to organize their thoughts before bothering me, but that is asking too much!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 06:23:57 PM »
When I leave one, I give my name and number right up front, so the recipient can just write down the number, and not have to listen to the whole thing.

I do the same thing, and add, "I'll repeat that number at the end of this message."  And I do.  Most people (myself included) can't catch the whole number the first time and it alerts them to the fact that they don't have to replay the message to catch it all.

Mumblety-bums:  Yes.  A lot of people could benefit by learning microphone technique.  Does the Columbia School of Broadcasting have Gift Certificates for these folks?  (Also at drive-in fast food lanes, although to be sure, traffic and the fact that the speakers are out in the weather all the time may contribute to this.  And foreign accents don't help.)

I have one caller who consistently gets cut off on my answering machine, so I know it's not just my aging ears.  I don't think it's a question of voice volume, I think it's a matter of a lack of forceful fricatives.

And I prefer e-mail to phone messages.  There was a time when I was on the phone almost the whole day.  I still have callouses on my right ear from that. :)

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:27:24 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 07:01:08 PM »
I regard poor commincations etiquette as the height of unprofessiinalism. My big pet peeve is people who turn return-call requests into text or email events, that's if they return it at all. Millineals and young academes are the absolute worst, hiding behind text and IM for even the most critical of messages. I don't give a flying rat-fart what rational is given. If I say "could you please call me..." then have the decency, courtesy, and professionalism to respond in kind.

They also presume you will call them back from caller ID so they don't leave a message. That, or they leave a message containing no call-back number, so absolutely dependent they have become on caller ID.

To the OP...

Millcreek, check to see if your voicemail system has a vmail-to-email function. Some systems will convert the voicemail to an mp3 file and forward it to a designated address. If your system is VOIP it may have an integrated messaging function that will let you access your voicemails via app or single-icon login on your phone.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:32:23 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 07:08:28 PM »
I hate voicemail too.

Actually, I just don't like talking on the phone at all, and for the most part it isn't efficient or practical. I have trouble hearing stuff on a phone, not due to bad hearing, I think it's the distortion, and I'm not good at numbers and names, so messages that involve me getting a name and number are a bitch, especially if they mumble or have an accent or something. I've had times were I have to listing to a message three or four times to get it all written down right. It's a crappy way to impart basic information that doesn't actually require conversations.

like today. my boss called me and needed me to call her back. it wasn't because she actually needed to have a discussion with me.
She couldn't find the can opener at work. That's a five minute conversation after two minutes to get the message.
Alternatively, a text would have been a lot faster on both ends (if Louise could text, which she really can't, nor do I expect her to learn)

If whatever it is needs to actually be discussed and worked out between two people, then a phone call is the way to go, but for crap like "where's the can opener?" and "can you pick up <blank> at the grocery store?", a text based message (phone texting or other) is just easier.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 07:28:17 PM »
like today. my boss called me and needed me to call her back. it wasn't because she actually needed to have a discussion with me.
She couldn't find the can opener at work. That's a five minute conversation after two minutes to get the message.
Alternatively, a text would have been a lot faster on both ends (if Louise could text, which she really can't, nor do I expect her to learn)

If whatever it is needs to actually be discussed and worked out between two people, then a phone call is the way to go, but for crap like "where's the can opener?" and "can you pick up <blank> at the grocery store?", a text based message (phone texting or other) is just easier.

This, and it's just so much easier when I'm driving or otherwise occupied to glance at the text notification and know immediately whether I need to stop and deal with it, or wait until I'm done.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »
Voice mail had always worked fine for me -- up until about a year ago. And I think the problem is the millennials. The article comments that millennials have to be taught how to work in an office environment. I can't tell you how many must have cut class the day the subject was "How to leave a voicemail message 101."

Too often, they rush through what they're saying, meaning I have to replay it several times to write down a couple of words with each rerun until I get the full message. And then they end with their phone number -- which is either babbled out so fast that it's incomprehensible, or (the latest trick) they're in such a rish that they let the voice fall off at the end, leaving me to try to figure out a phone number in the format ###-###-#___. I don't know if it would be considered common sense or common courtesy to speak the most important part of the message -- how to call back -- slowly and distinctly, and to repeat the number. Personally, I consider it both common sense and common courtesy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »
This, and it's just so much easier when I'm driving or otherwise occupied to glance at the text notification and know immediately whether I need to stop and deal with it, or wait until I'm done.

OK, well, I disagree about checking while driving. I was going to point out that the only time text isn't optimal is if someone is driving, but then, I figured that was a given. :facepalm:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 07:38:48 PM »
I hate voice mail.

Half the messages I tend to come in to are rambling, unintelligible, no call back number, an issue already resolved, or some other manner of nonsensical mumballygook. Such things get erased.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 07:41:58 PM »
I hate voice mail.

Half the messages I tend to come in to are rambling, unintelligible, no call back number, an issue already resolved, or some other manner of nonsensical mumballygook. Such things get erased.

and even the ones that are clearly spoken are often distorted and messed up because of the phone and signal strength. This happens A LOT where I work because people are traveling and call us for whatever reason and their cell phones don't have good reception where they are.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 07:42:41 PM »
When I have to leave VM, and I hate to have to leave it, because I know what a pain in the ass it is to check it, it is simply "This is <My Name>. Please call me at <My Number> when you get a chance. <My Number Again>, and the message is left with a steady, slower cadence that is easily understood but not too slow. Brief, to the point, and number repeated twice. I may add "in regards to "X" " just as a quick indicator about what I'm calling about, depending on who I'm calling and for what reason. I don't ramble on about the issue I want to discuss because it'll be easier to explain when I talk to them.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 07:52:36 PM »
No voicemail, no call back, simple as that.

How I roll at work and I got one person who doesn't leave a voice mail or send email. I see there number on caller ID and never answer the phone. They are one of those uber paranoid people who don't want to leave a trail anywhere.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:26:09 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 08:03:23 PM »
Voice to text ftw. I rarely listen to voicemail, I simply read it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 08:05:28 PM »

Our speech to text converter was, shall we say, quite creative on most occasions.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 08:14:34 PM »
Our speech to text converter was, shall we say, quite creative on most occasions.

Brad
Yes,  tjat happens,  and text doesn't have the 'feel' of a teal voice. ..but it can give you much of the needed info fast.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 08:15:36 PM »
OK, well, I disagree about checking while driving. I was going to point out that the only time text isn't optimal is if someone is driving, but then, I figured that was a given. :facepalm:

I'm not reading the message; the iPhone's notification will pop up with who it's from and the first few words.  That's almost always enough to see if it's an FYI or an emergency.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 08:23:50 PM »
That's why I use Google voice's voicemail instead of verizon's. You get an email transcription, plus you can download the message pretty much instantly. Though I have to say, the accuracy has gotten worse as time's gone on instead of better. There's also essentially no limit to the number of messages you can save. Unlike VZW's limit of 20.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 08:50:59 PM »
The announcement on my company voice states my work hours 2200-0600, and I tell callers that if they ask for a call back I will return their call during my work hours. I had a local manager get pissy with me when I called her at 2300. Didn't seem to matter even when I pointed out to her that she knew my hours and had asked me to call her back.

Corporate Email can be hit or miss with my crew. Sometimes I see no punctuation or capitalization. Other times the number of misspelled words amazes me, particularly since we use Outlook. And that's just from the manager side.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 09:34:30 PM »
Hate voicemail on the work phone. Requires me to punch in a code that's probably expired by the time I get a VM, so it must be changed and noted. On my cell, not a problem... if I can make out what the caller is talking about.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 09:37:32 PM »
The announcement on my company voice states my work hours 2200-0600, and I tell callers that if they ask for a call back I will return their call during my work hours. I had a local manager get pissy with me when I called her at 2300. Didn't seem to matter even when I pointed out to her that she knew my hours and had asked me to call her back.

I have had two very annoying stuporvisors that thought it was appropriate to bother me all the time while I was off duty about stupid *expletive deleted*it that could wait till I got back.

I started charging 15 minutes of time for every phone call, they quickly got the message...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 09:46:16 PM »
I hateses the voice mail, especially for work.  Send me email, I can get that and respond.

When I leave a VM, it is business: name, my phone, my email, quick message, my phone again, and outta there.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 09:47:10 PM »
I have never had a problem with voicemail.  I religious checked it twice a decade. No joke, once every five years. I stated so in my voicemail greeting.  "Do not leave a voicemail. I will check it in 1-5 years." A supervisor hinted that I should fix my full voicemail box, so I did and deleted my voicemail. Not the entries, the voicemail attached to my cell.

I know voicemail to text is an opinion, but it is less elegant than simply not having voicemail.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 10:18:28 PM »
As my hearing goes farther down hill and some of the folks I converse with get more mush-mouthed (get those dentures refitted, would you!) I'm finding text conversations to be more and more enjoyable.  Not as enjoyable as sending a post card, or splurging on a telegram (which they no longer deliver - they call and leave a voice mail!!) but still enjoyable.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
I have had two very annoying stuporvisors that thought it was appropriate to bother me all the time while I was off duty about stupid *expletive deleted* it that could wait till I got back.

I started charging 15 minutes of time for every phone call, they quickly got the message...

My company cell phone gets locked in my desk every morning when I leave for the day. My supervisor occasionally tries to tell me I should carry it all the time, I ask him how much extra the company is willing to pay me to do that. One of the few benefits of a union shop, if we get called after work hours it's a minimum 2 hours overtime. Really cuts down on bullshit calls.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams