Author Topic: What caliber for trees?  (Read 1289 times)

brimic

• friends
What caliber for trees?
« on: October 30, 2014, 09:52:47 AM »
It's been answered.
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outposts/post/man-panics-shooting-gun/

Judging by the comments section, most of the people here have seen this one already. :rofl:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: What caliber for trees?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 10:15:26 AM »
It's been answered.

Interesting, considering how long it took me to shoot down a dead ~6" diameter oak with .30-06 and .243 JSPs and 12ga slugs.  Trees are pretty good at absorbing bullet hits.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:20:18 AM »
I'd go with an .460 Stihl  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 11:28:30 AM »
husky 61 good for almost everything in NA.

I shot one tree down- it was sprung over with a heck of a bend in it, as another tree was laying on it. No way was I gonna get close with a saw. used a 12 with slugs, took about 10 rounds to weaken it enough to break. Maine woods, no neighbors.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:53:48 AM »
husky 61 good for almost everything in NA.

I shot one tree down- it was sprung over with a heck of a bend in it, as another tree was laying on it. No way was I gonna get close with a saw. used a 12 with slugs, took about 10 rounds to weaken it enough to break. Maine woods, no neighbors.

Springpoles are something I used to deal with on a daily (sometimes hourly) basis.

I like guns as much as anybody, but if you axe me - shooting trees is just silly  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 01:11:03 PM »
Hope he doesn't get fined for shooting it out of season.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 01:36:49 PM »
Somewhere thousands of tree huggers are in morning.....and three have taken vows of vengeance.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 01:37:51 PM »
Hope he doesn't get fined for shooting it out of season.

Did he pepper it with bullets, or use a salt weapon  ???

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 03:24:19 PM »
Springpoles are something I used to deal with on a daily (sometimes hourly) basis.

I like guns as much as anybody, but if you axe me - shooting trees is just silly  :lol:

Of course it is silly! On the other hand, I still have the other hand.  I hate cutting trees when they are under a lot of stress.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 03:30:05 PM »
Of course it is silly! On the other hand, I still have the other hand.  I hate cutting trees when they are under a lot of stress.

Have you tried a nice back rub, soft music, and candles?  Might relax the tree.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 03:31:19 PM »

Plastic wedges are nice at times. :)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 04:05:17 PM »
Plastic wedges are nice at times. :)

Oh, would you like an exposition ?  :P

I've got a belt pouch that carries several wedges, files, and a scrench.  One is a "Hardhead" with a metal insert for really hammering on it, but usually I just use it as a hammer on the other smaller wedge.  Only rarely use the flat side of the single bit on the biggest wedge  =)

Works for bucking under a bind also.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 04:36:03 PM »
Somewhere thousands of tree huggers are in morning.....and three have taken vows of vengeance.
What do they do when in morning?  Sit around all day in pajamas?   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 04:38:23 PM »
The thread title asks what caliber, but according to the article, 500 S&W works just fine. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 04:40:05 PM »
What do they do when in morning?  Sit around all day in pajamas?   =D

Damn you auto correct.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 05:06:14 PM »
The thread title asks what caliber, but according to the article, 500 S&W works just fine. 

Especially if you use it a backer for all your previous target shooting.  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 08:25:38 PM »
You said there were comments.  That was surely a clue.  But did I heed that clue?

No.

I are a dumbass.

I said I'd just look at a few of them.

[barf]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.