Author Topic: The next iteration of metal 3-D printed handguns  (Read 864 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The next iteration of metal 3-D printed handguns
« on: November 01, 2014, 11:14:29 AM »
http://3dprint.com/21109/3d-print-metal-gun-reason/

Absolutely gorgeous.  But I do have a question: is something like this essentially ready to go when you take it out of the 3-D printer, or is there additional machining and finishing work that has to be done?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: The next iteration of metal 3-D printed handguns
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 01:44:44 PM »
I'm sure more machining is required, at least for threading the screws.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 08:56:30 PM »
The article made it sound like all the fancy work on the slide is all done by the 3D process.  That would be surprising.  I was also curious how many different parts were made using this process and how many not.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 09:24:59 PM »
The article made it sound like all the fancy work on the slide is all done by the 3D process.  That would be surprising.  I was also curious how many different parts were made using this process and how many not.

I think they polished the high spots for effect, but other examples of late 3D metal printing I've seen have come out relatively smooth, or no worse than military phosphate finish gun parts, and were lots of shapes like metal Klein bottles etc. and "impossible shapes" where I sincerely doubt anyone was able to get in there and polish every last surface.
I promise not to duck.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 12:41:02 AM »
Most 3D printers have support material that has to be cleaned out, but otherwise the usually are pretty good in terms of finish.
Formerly sumpnz

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 02:50:25 PM »
I'd guess a teensy bit of hand fit is required for the barrel/slide pair no matter what. Then a quick ream on all the holes, a quick tap on the ones that need it, and your good to go.

Coarse, large threads are probably fine being made by the printer. Finer stuff is going to need a tap, if only for cleanup.

Probably.  =)
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 08:25:21 PM »
The article didn't mention that the gun is obviously named after Reason from Snow Crash , which was a nuclear-powered, portable flechette gun.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine