Author Topic: A reminder for erection day  (Read 1795 times)

brimic

• friends
A reminder for erection day
« on: November 04, 2014, 01:12:43 PM »
Money quote:

Having an ideology tends to imply some study of the subject at hand. If you have studied government, and determined that it has any potential to do anything positive, this implies you are really not very good at processing information.”

http://www.christophercantwell.com/2014/04/08/top-10-reasons-libertarians-arent-nice/

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: A reminder for erection day
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 01:35:58 PM »
erection day

never mind

stupid spellcheck
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 01:36:33 PM »
Phrasing
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 01:41:44 PM »
If it lasts more than four hours, call a doctor?
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 01:44:16 PM »
Once every two years?  Are you married?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 01:45:09 PM »
Having trouble getting excited about today  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 01:51:25 PM »
The one upright element of our political system these days...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 02:00:36 PM »
Looking at stuff like #8, I have to ask if this guy is a libertarian or an arnarchist.  Talking about not needing to vote at all doesn't sound like a libertarian. 

they promote xenophobia about homosexuals, and immigrants
He said this about "Rightists".  I think most of that is invented and repeated by Democrats to scare their own potential supports.  The authoritarian right wing guys have a lot of issues, but that really isn't a big one.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 02:06:06 PM »
The guy in that article explicitly states that he's an anarchist, and that anyone who calls themselves a libertarian and isn't an anarchist is either lying or stupid. Seems kind of silly to me, and I'm not even a libertarian.

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 02:26:58 PM »
The guy in that article explicitly states that he's an anarchist, and that anyone who calls themselves a libertarian and isn't an anarchist is either lying or stupid. Seems kind of silly to me, and I'm not even a libertarian.

That.
The only fine differentiation I see is a libertarian wants to be quietly left alone, where an anarchist posts subversive articles about the justification for being left alone.  >:D

Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 02:41:47 PM »
I don't know many libertarians, but the difference between a very small limited govt and no govt would seem to be pretty significant whether speaking philisophically or realistically. 

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 03:24:11 PM »
I don't know many libertarians, but the difference between a very small limited govt and no govt would seem to be pretty significant whether speaking philisophically or realistically. 

That depends on where on the spectrum a person's view of 'limited government' falls....
It can range from "we'll send someone to shoot you in the face for breaking our laws" to "Our laws have no real enforcement behind them other than the transgression being dealt with by the victim or victim's clan themselves."

Our current government is the former, where I would think most libertarians would prefer the latter.

Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 03:40:12 PM »
That depends on where on the spectrum a person's view of 'limited government' falls....
It can range from "we'll send someone to shoot you in the face for breaking our laws" to "Our laws have no real enforcement behind them other than the transgression being dealt with by the victim or victim's clan themselves."

Our current government is the former, where I would think most libertarians would prefer the latter.

If those are the only two choices, then things must be really messed up.   =D

I thought libertarianism was more along the lines of "we'll send someone to shoot you in the face for breaking our laws", but there are only a couple laws to worry about and the "someone" will be a local sheriff, not a Federal SWAT team. 

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 04:02:03 PM »
If those are the only two choices, then things must be really messed up.   =D

I thought libertarianism was more along the lines of "we'll send someone to shoot you in the face for breaking our laws", but there are only a couple laws to worry about and the "someone" will be a local sheriff, not a Federal SWAT team. 

That would work. It beats sending someone to shoot you in the face over civil forfeitures as it is now.

Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 04:23:01 PM »
Dude at the link forgot the zeroth reason.

"0. Poor social skills bordering on brain disorder.  We truly have no idea why you would start slowly backing away while we endlessly monolog about von Mises's self-evident reasons why we should privatize the sidewalks.  Also, since we alienated our entire family out to our 5th cousins by reciting "The Speech" from Atlas Shrugged over Thanksgiving dinner, we just don't get the sort of touchy-feeling social interaction many people get.  Besides, Thankgiving celebrates the massive violation of the Non-Aggression Principle."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 04:44:07 PM »
Anarchists are, in a very general sense, against any government. However, it's such a silly utopian ideology that there are lots of equally incoherent variants of it including ones calling for total fed.gov control of all aspects of life, because otherwise the evil corporations will enslave you or something.

Libertarians, boiled down, believe that the only function of .gov should be enforcement of contracts and dealing with people who violate the NAP.

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 05:46:37 PM »
If it lasts more than four hours, call a doctor?

If it lasts more than four hours without a lot of encouragement, I'm going to be calling everybody.  Probably texting some of them pics and video, too.  17 was a long time ago, so that would be a pretty hefty accomplishment.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 06:52:24 PM »
Saw a pro-life billboard.
Huge closeup photo of 5 month old little boy.
Bold print on bottom:
ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES

You KNOW what Tuco read.
7-11 was a part time job.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »
If it lasts more than four hours, call a doctor hooker?

That's better!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 09:24:06 PM »
That read more like Anarchist then Libertarian.  Libertarians still believe there is a role for the .gov.  (Those six things outlined in the Preamble of the US Constitution.)

SING IT WITH ME !!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMoyH1uLhRk
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
That read more like Anarchist then Libertarian.  Libertarians still believe there is a role for the .gov.  (Those six things outlined in the Preamble of the US Constitution.)

SING IT WITH ME !!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMoyH1uLhRk

That's because he is.  Look under his name, it says: Anarchist, Atheist, ahole.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 09:50:08 PM »
That's because he is.  Look under his name, it says: Anarchist, Atheist, *expletive deleted*hole.
Sounds like he is not an atheist.  He believes in the dream of civilized anarchy.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 07:51:01 PM »

This is the sort of libertarian I am.  I get into arguments on another board when people think that 'libertarian' is for a weak government, not a small strong one. 

Anarchists are, in a very general sense, against any government. However, it's such a silly utopian ideology that there are lots of equally incoherent variants of it including ones calling for total fed.gov control of all aspects of life, because otherwise the evil corporations will enslave you or something.

Libertarians, boiled down, believe that the only function of .gov should be enforcement of contracts and dealing with people who violate the NAP.

Very concise summary.  NAP = Non-Aggression Principle.  I consider myself a 'moderate' because I believe that there are some things where it's cheaper/easier to get involved BEFORE the NAP is violated.