Author Topic: Camry broke down  (Read 6389 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Camry broke down
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 11:57:24 PM »
Good on you for giving it a go.  We're here for you, let us know how it goes.

I got all the parts, and tools, for about half what a shop would charge.  And within that spend I'm also going to replace plugs/wires and coolant, which would be an upcharge at a shop.  And I'll probably have the car running again within a day or two of when the shop would have finished anyway.  Assuming I don't *expletive deleted*ck it up.
Formerly sumpnz

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 04:40:41 AM »
Ignition or fuel pump most likely. If you pull a spark plug out to check for spark also see if you blow gas out the plug hole.

Squirt some starter fluid in the manifold or one of the vacuum hoses going to the manifold and try starting it.  If it runs for a few seconds and then dies, it's probably a fuel pump or some kind of clog.

Check the spark first, though, using standard testing techniques.  You don't want to throw an open spark with starting fluid (or gasoline) vapors running around loose.

Terry
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:45:13 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 08:56:50 AM »
Squirt some starter fluid in the manifold or one of the vacuum hoses going to the manifold and try starting it.  If it runs for a few seconds and then dies, it's probably a fuel pump or some kind of clog.

Check the spark first, though, using standard testing techniques.  You don't want to throw an open spark with starting fluid (or gasoline) vapors running around loose.

Terry
Might have to wait until he has the new timing belt in and everything put back together  =D
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 11:37:12 AM »
Might have to wait until he has the new timing belt in and everything put back together  =D

Minor technical details.
Formerly sumpnz

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 01:37:34 PM »
Timing belt is broken.

Now to figure out tools and such to fix it.  At least it's a non-interference engine.

Oh, didn't realize he had got that far when I posted.  Don't know how I missed that. Thought it was still on the side of the road, sorta still warm.   :facepalm:

Terry
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:42:59 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2014, 03:10:06 PM »
I thought all Toyota engines of that vintage were interferance.

You got lucky.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2014, 03:46:56 PM »
IIRC, Toyota uses belts on non-interference engines and chains on interference engines.  My 2003 Camry 4cyl was interference, but had a chain.  My 1997 4Runner is non-interference and has a belt.  My 1993 Paseo was non-interference and had a belt.

While confirming the last one, I found this link, which may be of interest:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/timing_belts_interference_engines.htm

Chris

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2014, 06:35:54 PM »
Slight topic veer:

What is an "interference engine"  versus a ""non interference" engine? 
Never heard of this distinction before.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2014, 06:45:01 PM »
Interference means there is no clearance between the pistons and valves should they get out of sync (ie timing belt breaks).  Non-interference means there's space and no damage would be done.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2014, 06:55:11 PM »
Interference is what will happen to your bank account if the timing goes wonky.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2014, 08:15:50 PM »
I know from sad personal experience that losing the timing belt on an original VW nonTDI diesel is a catastrophic engine room casualty.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2014, 08:24:46 PM »
To simplify it, if a timing belt breaks on an interference engine, the valves and pistons will collide, rather than move like they're supposed to.  Bye bye engine (I suppose you could rebuild it, but that's a financial decision.... it may be cheaper to just get another motor or even another car, depending on the value of the existing car.  )

Non interference doesn't have this problem.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2014, 11:22:40 PM »
Interference means there is no clearance between the pistons and valves should they get out of sync (ie timing belt breaks).  Non-interference means there's space and no damage would be done.

Chris
;)  Thanks.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2014, 11:50:25 PM »
Got as far as getting the new water pump in, also put in a new t-stat since that needing replaced anyway. Still need to replace crank and cam seals. Then I can re-time the engine, install the new belt, and put everything back together. Getting there, slowly.
Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
Slowly and right is always better than fast and wrong.

bob ;)

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2014, 01:11:00 AM »
...And far cheaper, in both the short & long runs.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2014, 01:08:30 AM »
The 7th Angel poured forth his bowl, and a voice cried out from heaven saying "It Is Done!"

The timing belt job is done. Test drive is complete and everything is working!!! Enjoying a nice frosty mug of Ninkasi Brewing Sleigher.

Formerly sumpnz

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2014, 10:31:29 AM »
And for a short time, all is right in the world.

Excellent work!!!
7-11 was a part time job.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2014, 05:06:59 PM »
IIRC, Toyota uses belts on non-interference engines and chains on interference engines.

Timing chains rock.  Should be mandatory on all engines.  (OK, I'll make an exception for the gear-train-timed ones.)  No slipping, and they rarely break unless you screw up and let it run out of oil or something.  The belt breaking is such an out-of-the-blue, complete shutdown, major undertaking, can't-fix-it-where-it-dies (well, I guess you can, but unless you drive the Snap-On truck, you probably don't carry the stuff you'll need) issue that every reasonable measure to prevent it should be taken at the design stage, and using a chain is a very reasonable measure in my book.

The Saturn's now at 282k miles.  Probably time for head and valve cover gaskets soon.  Definitely time for an oil pan gasket.  Plan is to do those, the motor mounts and the timing chain at the same time just because I'll have to have the timing cover off anyway.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:12:40 PM by KD5NRH »

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2014, 07:23:51 PM »
Car seems to running really well.  Got a squeal from the power steering when hard over on one side that's new.  Don't really want to rebuild the power steering pump right now.

Going to wait until it's got a few hundred miles at least on it before taking anywhere farther than Bellingham.  Just to be sure it doesn't have an infant mortality failure a long ways from home.
Formerly sumpnz

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2014, 01:34:15 PM »
I'll agree with the should be mandatory thought. I'll take the tiny bit of extra noise for the peace of mind. Though I would say that it only makes a difference if they're appropriately sized. I know the chains in 12 valve VW VR6's were prone to failure, and I've heard that the chains in new Hemis are the size of bicycle chains.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2014, 01:58:51 PM »
I know the chains in 12 valve VW VR6's were prone to failure, and I've heard that the chains in new Hemis are the size of bicycle chains.

Ew.  The one in my 4 cylinder Saturn looks like a drive chain for a fairly hefty motorcycle.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2014, 07:59:45 PM »
Car seems to running really well.  Got a squeal from the power steering when hard over on one side that's new.  Don't really want to rebuild the power steering pump right now.

Going to wait until it's got a few hundred miles at least on it before taking anywhere farther than Bellingham.  Just to be sure it doesn't have an infant mortality failure a long ways from home.

Check the PS fluid level.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2014, 02:12:37 AM »
Check the PS fluid level.

Full, or was when I finished with the timing belt.  I'll check it again in the morning.
Formerly sumpnz

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2014, 09:36:56 AM »
Most likely got a little oil or grease on the belt or pulley while doing the repair. Take a bit of rubbing alcohol or carb cleaner on a rag and wipe down the pulley, then install a fresh belt and chalk it up to preventive maintenance. Might not be a bad idea to also installa fresh belt tensioner and idler. They are wear items and usually inexpensive.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB