Author Topic: Source for 1 sheet of protective plastic film?  (Read 1083 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Source for 1 sheet of protective plastic film?
« on: December 01, 2014, 04:28:42 PM »
I need just one sheet of the type of clear light adhesive plastic film that's applied to many products from the factory, such as screens, printer covers, LCD displays, etc.

Does anyone know where I can get just a single sheet? I only need one for a piece of plastic thats about 4"x 6".

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Source for 1 sheet of protective plastic film?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 04:40:24 PM »
Do you want it for medical purposes?  http://www.statkit.com/Barrier-Film-Blue

Best realistic case is to use one meant for a tablet:

http://www.amazon.com/Ionic-Screen-Protector-Anti-Glare-Tablet/dp/B00EKXB3EA
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 04:44:02 PM »
A screen protector for a small tablet (or large phone) is pretty tough and easy to come by, but a little pricey.

Under $10 at home depot will get you a chunk of plexiglass that will have a protective film on it.  Transfering it to something else could be fun.

Document protectors could be re-purposed from Office Depot.  Or if you never want to take it off, Office and craft stores both sell clear contact paper.

Office store again sells heat laminating plastic sleeves (I've seen buisness card and certificate sized) some careful work with an iron and towel could seal one.

That's just off the top of my head, spitballing.  What are you trying to put it on?  

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 05:20:42 PM »
Big sign that says "IF YOU TOUCH THIS I'LL BREAK YOUR FINGERS?"

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 05:43:41 PM »
Protect from what?  Will Saran Wrap-type stuff do?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 05:48:11 PM »
I didn't describe it properly. This is the low-adhesive plastic film that comes on products from the store, and that you remove before use. When you buy a digital voltmeter, there's usually a plastic film on the display window with fake letters, and you peel it off before use. On my printer, there's a smoked gray plastic cover that folds down over the paper feed when it's in use. When I bought it, the cover had a thin film of plastic on it to protect from scratches.

In my case, I have a rectangular plastic cavity cover on a guitar that still has the protective plastic film on it. The edges of the film have started to curl from handling, and I'm selling the guitar as new (which it is), so I want to replace the plastic. I just need a little bit.

I have a pick guard cover that still has the plastic on it, but there's not a big enough area for me to use.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 06:01:58 PM »
Don't screw with it.  Replacing the film makes it LNIB.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 06:09:05 PM »
Don't screw with it.  Replacing the film makes it LNIB.

Yup; anybody who plays much will know the difference between a little handling curl and the much more significant edge damage where you just forgot to peel that piece of protector off before taking it on tour.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »
Leave it on.

When I sold my EC Gibson Les Paul Standard (Custom Shop, circa 1976) I wanted to replace the chrome pickup covers that were never there during my ownership.  The plastic bobbins on the bridge pickup were a bit scrached up from aggressive pick attack.

I talked to the appraiser at Elderly Instruments (they know the vintage guitar market).  I was ready to drop $$$ on his table for a pair of period correct, Gibson factory covers.  He said "Don't bother.  The condition speaks for itself, and A petty detail like that will make no difference to a serious buyer, in fact it may raise suspicion that other parts had been monkied with."

As hard as it might be for you, leave it alone.  The condition.of the guitar speaks for itself.
And knowing you, its undoubtedly in NIB+++ extra lusso.
7-11 was a part time job.