Author Topic: Harvard Professor Getting Schooled  (Read 3471 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Harvard Professor Getting Schooled
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2014, 04:59:28 AM »

Hahahahaha and they trespassed him also !!!

It's a lot of fun telling folks to go away and never come back. They typically get all butt hurt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 09:37:33 AM »
I would disagree with the first.  I understand he called in the order.  That was when a contract was entered into and he failed to confirm the terms.  He had a second chance when he picked up the order, but he just threw them his CC and didn't check the price again.  Most restaurants might honor that online price if asked, but he never even looked at the price until well after things were settled.  According to the emails they were still willing to correct the total.

In an online transaction, I think the price at checkout is the agreed price, even if the price on the web page is different.  If you are dumb enough to checkout without looking, too bad for you.  Again, most merchants would fix it, but do they have to?  I just think the contact is at the point where you say "I'll take it" and lay down your money.
Well, the courts are a valid option if a contract is being violated, and prices on a website are a contract offer.  

I think the libertarian ideal would be to give some sort of BB organization some teeth - check for BB accred for any business, they go after any that falsely show the symbol like rabid dogs, and work to ensure that any business they give the rating to are on the up-and-up.

In this case, make a report to the rating company, and they monitor that his website(s) are fixed expediently to show the correct prices and perhaps be adjusted somewhat in design to make it obvious which location the prices are good for.

But while websites are generally easier to update than print media, I'd offer them some of the same allowance I'd give with printed menus and such - something like the restaurant isn't allowed to show a history of immediately raising prices after releasing a menu, but it's assumed that prices may and probably will change.  Confirm with the order taker to be sure of the most accurate price.  If you're actually ordering and paying on line, the price at checkout needs to be accurate.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:40:58 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2014, 11:02:57 AM »
Looks like the Professor apologized for how he handled it. I have to give him props for writing a real apology, vs one of those "I'm sorry you felt that way..." pseudo apologies.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/10/living/harvard-business-professor-chinese-takeout/index.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2014, 11:29:33 AM »
Every time I can remember phoning in an order and picking it up, I got a total over the phone, and saw the price when I paid.  We have ordered food for work a lot over the years.  We are usually ordering from old menus the guys have in a file.

I've been (occasionally) ordering pizza or Chinese by phone for well over 30 years. I don't think I have ever been given a price when I ordered -- and it never occurred to me to ask. For Chinese, I'm ordering from a printed menu that has prices printed on it. For pizza, I want a large pizza with Pepperoni and mushrooms -- I'll find out the price when I pick it up. The only information I get when ordering is for the person on the other end of the call to read back the order for confirmation, and to tell me my order will be ready in ___ minutes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2014, 04:24:37 PM »
I'll abstain for now, other than to comment that I hate businesses that charge higher prices than advertised and then try to hide behind a fine print box that says "Prices subject to change without notice." That's fine (well, sort of) for a company like Grainger's, that puts out a catalog once a year. It's not okay on a web site. Everything on the Internet is instant. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect prices on a take-out menu to be correct.

This, and "not technologically inclined" is no excuse.  I guarantee you when those people are feeling lawnmower disinclined they can figure out how to hand the kid next door $40 to mow their lawn, and he can probably figure out how to change prices on their web page too.