Author Topic: Awarded $1Mil Because Bank "Harassed" Them for Payment  (Read 2525 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Awarded $1Mil Because Bank "Harassed" Them for Payment
« on: December 13, 2014, 09:54:44 AM »
While I'm firmly in the "I hate solicitation calls" camp, this doesn't seem to fall into that category and I'm a bit perplexed at the judge's ruling (let alone the amount!). It seems to me, if I default on a loan payment, I've somewhat given up on my rights not to be harassed by the loan holder. If someone shines me on regarding a loan I gave them, I'm gonna call them up to remind them. If that doesn't work I'm going to start visiting them. If that doesn't work, I might show up at the restaurant where they're eating and loudly ask for my dough.

While there are aggressive collection agencies out there, and it appears B of A didn't show up to court, so they should have expected some hit, I'm not seeing how this was overdone to the point of a $1mil settlement. The kicker line is from the couple's attorney, who says that they are only going to ask B of A once for the money they're owed. Maybe the couple should have responded as quickly regarding the money they owed the bank.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/13/couple-awarded-1-million-from-unrelenting-bank-america/?intcmp=latestnews
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Awarded $1Mil Because Bank "Harassed" Them for Payment
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 10:08:55 AM »
They do robo call you to death . You can make a payment plan and they will keep calling. And once you tell em to go away they gotta knock,it off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Awarded $1Mil Because Bank "Harassed" Them for Payment
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 10:11:42 AM »
another story with no good guys
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 10:16:17 AM »
Yea it's hard for me to root for boa. Or pnc for that matter. My current bank is good

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 10:21:02 AM »
They do robi all you to death . You can make a payment plan and they will keep calling. And once you tell em to go away they gotta knock,it off.

I don't disagree, and if the couple had in fact started paying and the calls continued, I could see a monetary judgement (still not $1mil though). That didn't seem to be the case here, so it seems a more appropriate response would have been, "Hey bank, knock it off! Hey couple, pay what you owe (or at least some of it)!"
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 10:32:03 AM »
I agree you loose a good portion of your leave me the fluff alone rights when you default or miss payments.

However, there's a line and plenty of collections folks cross it.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 10:32:55 AM »
I wonder if they ever succeeded with the loan mod.
I wish I coulda taped the calls I got. They were it seemed to be harassing . If you consider answering the same questions everyday and sometimes more than once each day.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 10:41:55 AM »
I'd say it crossed a line when collections dude berated my mother for prioritizing food and her medications over paying the collections folks.

I don't think he got the connection when it was not so kindly explained her being alive kind of helped their chances of ever being paid.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 10:52:25 AM »
And continuing to call up to the day you sign a loan mod that is being arranged through the bank that's calling is a pain. I just blocked em and told em I was gonna

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 12:05:19 PM »
Some fine print might be missing. If the people be in bankruptcy or in court negotiations the calls legally have to stop.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 01:33:13 PM »
I was wondering if they ever actually answered the phone on the calls.  I have had some robo-call stuff call me daily but as soon as I answered and told them I didn't want any, they stopped.  Sounds like the settings for the system to call again are a bit too often. 

Does anyone think BofA will end up paying this?  I wonder why they didn't show up?

No love lost for BofA here either.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 01:56:56 PM »
A lot of information missing in that story.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 02:38:31 PM »
Noting that it was a default judgment because BoA did not appear, default judgments can be overturned upon appeal.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 07:35:08 PM »
I'm guessing some info is missing from the story. I'd almost bet on some violation of the Fair Debt Collection Act on the part of BoA.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 08:17:57 PM »
I'm guessing some info is missing from the story. I'd almost bet on some violation of the Fair Debt Collection Act on the part of BoA.

Or at least alleged, which was taken as truth because without BoA appearing to defend itself the judge cold only go on the couple's evidence\testimony.

In any case, it's not that they aren't a valid target for phone calls and such asking for payment, it's that there are indeed legal limitations in the law as to the extent.  If BoA ignored them, they could submit a phone lot listing all the collection calls after they asked for them to stop, or started some process where the calls were supposed to stop, and at something like $2k* per, 500 calls later you're at $1M in legally mandated liability.

*State penalties for violating the DNC list range from $500 to $25k.  I'm using it as a yardstick for the penalty per illegal call against BoA.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 04:22:14 AM »
You suppose they could turn over the $1 mil debt from BoA to a collection agency?

<nyuck-nyuck-nyuck>
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
You suppose they could turn over the $1 mil debt from BoA to a collection agency?

<nyuck-nyuck-nyuck>

Nah, hire the sheriff and a moving company to repossess $1M worth of property from them.  ;)

It's happened before.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 08:40:42 AM »
^ Yeah, but then they won't get the unending collection harassment.

You know, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, call for call.

Justice. 
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »

And/or a judge who saw an opportunity to make an example.  BoA, among others, gets away with a lot, so the only way to have a real deterrent effect is to make it hurt enough when they do get caught that weighing the risk will start to favor not taking the chance.

For example, if you can steal $10 and only expect to get caught 1% of the time, a $100 fine is outright encouragement.  Might as well prepay a couple while you're at the courthouse and save a trip later.  A $1,000 fine just makes it a break even proposition, so it depends on whether you think you can beat the odds in the long run.  A $100,000 fine is a pretty effective deterrent.